Second Chance

By Girsgirly

Will Lennox was a soldier. he expected death to happen in the line of work, not in a random Decepticon attack... More

New body, new life
Sitting with Hide
I won't let you take him
First step, forgiveness
Meet Prowl
Speak now
Whats my age again?
Meet Barricade
A rescue awaits
Name trials
Holoform introduction
Family Day
Memories that haunt
Dreamy visit
Drawing the enemy
An alternate mode of transportation
High speed chase
Secrets revealed
My Will to live, returns
My choice is made
A reverse, for now
Quarantined
Visiting Bari
A nap to feel better
Betrayal of a new enemy
Against the rules
No naps allowed
Discovering highgrade
Another night, another dream
Another vision, no a nightmare
A dream against the rules
I see the dead
No better, than Ratchet
The best memories
Crying for the Prime
Wrongfully accused
Another night with Prime
A night with Will
First shopping trip
A chat with the Primes
Revenge of a different kind
Perceptor and Hot Rod
Somewhere only we know
Wheeljacks invention
Missing blanket
Scary story
A mix with the Matrix
Waking the monster
An unwanted flashback
Introduction to snow
Argument in the snow
The ending is here

Bringing home the monster

222 8 1
By Girsgirly

"yup. he slept through everything." Ironhide snorts a little, rubbing his fingers over the picture gently. "those are some of my favorite pictures with him. m'not a 'romantic' or nothing kid, but the way the sunset looked on him, I'd give anything for that moment back." Ironhide murmurs softly. he was thankful the two hadn't showed up much earlier, long before the pictures were taken, Ironhide had a few memories of his own he'd saved from that day. nothing too dirty, but certainly nothing the scout or his charge needed to see.

Will pinned to his hood, legs around his waist, shirt rucked up, a dark mark sucked onto his collar bone, face bright red from a mixture of laughter and their activities, that of which had abruptly been cut off when Will had suddenly gotten a nose bleed and Ironhide found out the man had been hit in the nose by a fellow soldier a few hours prior. his nose had been bleeding when Ironhide went to pick him up, but Will had promised it was just allergies, something that happened occasionally. Ironhide had been pissed when he found out the truth.

"Ironhide?" Reflect ask.

"yeah squirt?" Ironhide ask.

"what that picture?" Reflect asks.

"oh that, Will and Epps, and a couple other soldiers, were drunk and being stupid. they were doing a terrible job at something humans call 'pole dancing', but it was funny." Ironhide chuckles. the picture is of Epps, and a few mystery soldiers Reflects never met, holding Will up while he hangs upside down from a support pole at the base, giggling. everyone has red faces from the alcohol in the photo as well. "when the humans finally sat down, some of the bots took their holoforms and tried. Jazz was pretty good at it. had to remind Will once or twice he was my bonded." Ironhide chuckles softly. "wish you could've met him little one. I really do." Ironhide murmurs.

"Ironhide?" Reflect ask.

"yeah?" Ironhide chuckles a little.

"where Ratchet go?" Reflect ask.

"he went to the moon little one." Ironhide murmurs.

"moom?" Reflect asks.

"moon." Ironhide chuckles softly. "its in space." Ironhide murmurs. "but he'll be back in the morning." Ironhide assures.

"want now." he whines.

"its okay. you've got me for now." Ironhide murmurs.

"don't want Ironhide, want Ratchet." Reflect huffs.

"the sooner you go to sleep, the quicker he'll come back." Ironhide says.

"really?" Reflect ask.

"yup." Ironhide smiles.

"okay." Reflect says, laying down on his chest quietly.

"is that it buddy? is that it?" Ironhide ask. "you lay down and give up when I say that?" Ironhide ask. Reflect nods, cuddling up to him.

"sleep now. see Ratchet." Reflect murmurs. Ironhide snorts and lays with him until they both fall into recharge.

Ironhide has them up bright and early, Reflect whining the whole time.

"need recharge! want stasis!" Reflect whines.

"Ratchet and Optimus land in ten minutes sparkling. don't you want to be there when Ratchet lands?" Ironhide ask. Reflect perks up immediately.

"yes! go! go!" Reflect squeals.

"we're going. I promise we're going." Ironhide chuckles, carrying him out of his room.

"where are you going?" Epps asks, looking up at them.

"its 5AM. the better question is, where are you going?" Ironhide frowns.

"Optimus may be your leader but you guys are my team now that Wills gone. I have to be there when they land." Epps mutters. "Jazz was supposed to come get me but didn't." Epps mutters. Ironhide frowns and bends down, scooping him up and putting him up on his shoulder. "hey, uh, thanks." Epps says.

"we're heading that way now. Reflect demands to see Ratchet land." Ironhide grumbles. Epps snorts, waving at Reflect. Reflect watches him, hugging Ironhides neck.

"Epps?" Reflect ask.

"whats up kid?" Epps ask.

"why are you colored funny? you bruised too? like Sam was?" Reflect asks. Epps laughs and Ironhide snorts.

"naw kid. s'just my skin color. humans can be all kinds of colors like you guys. you know how Wheeljacks white, Ratchets green, Ironhides black, Bumblebee is yellow... everyone is a different color, humans be like that too." Epps explains. Reflect nods.

"oh okay." Reflect says, cuddling to Ironhide.

"I've been expecting that question from you for a long time kid." Epps snorts. Ironhide grunts a little, shifting the sparkling.

"you know he doesn't like talking to you, or any human for that matter, except Sam." Ironhide mutters.

"love Sam. Sam friend." Reflect giggles, swinging his feet happily.

"thats alright." Epps shrugs. "as long as its not a race thing." Epps says.

"race? Reflect not race Epps. Epps not fast enough to race Reflect." Reflect says, looking confused.

"not that kind of race squirt." Ironhide chuckles. he shakes his head carrying the two back to the N.E.S.T. base. Ironhide puts Epps down in a human safety zone, further back than an Autobot safety zone, before putting Reflect down carefully. "you stay with me little one. don't you dare run out there and get squished. Ratchet would kill me." Ironhide grumbles. Reflect giggles and hugs the weapons specialist.

"no, Reflect stay Hide." Reflect says.

"good." Ironhide mutters. they only stand there for a few minutes before they hear them land. Ironhide grips Reflect gently. "stay." Ironhide says. Reflect whines quietly, bouncing excitedly. "wait." Ironhide frowns. the sparkling whines louder, watching the ship land.

"let go! let go!" Reflect whines, struggling with Ironhide.

"not yet. wait." Ironhide murmurs. the moment the ship lands and the door opens Ironhide can see Ratchet and Optimus. he lets go. "alright go." Ironhide murmurs.

"Creator!" Reflect screams, running as fast as he can towards the medic. Ratchet chuckles and crouches, scooping him up and hugging him tightly.

"I wasn't even gone that long little one." Ratchet murmurs. Ironhide snorts at the sparkling walking over to Optimus.

"Prime, need help?" Ironhide ask.

"yes. we found several of our friends. we will need help getting them all unloaded." Optimus murmurs. Ironhide nods.

"I'll call a team. how a many are we talking?" Ironhide ask.

"five." Optimus says. Ironhide nods.

"you found five?" Epps calls.

"yes. Hot Rod, Perceptor, Inferno, Red Alert, and my predecessor, Sentinel Prime." Optimus says. Ironhide calls for a few others to come and help, watching Optimus carry Sentinel Prime out of the ship. he heads inside to grab the first bot he sees.

Reflects still cuddled to Ratchet, before pulling back.

"you hurt Ironhide!" Reflect shouts, smacking Ratchets faceplates. the medic stares at him a moment. he missed Ironhide, choking on his laughter behind him, trying not to get smacked by the medic, Epps isn't any better. he turns away from Ratchet so he won't see him trying to stifle his laughter. Optimus gives a small chuckle, smiling and shaking his head.

"hey! excuse you." Ratchet glares. Reflect smacks him again.

"'cuse you! no 'cuse me! you hurt Ironhide!" Reflect glares.

"don't smack me. especially in the face." Ratchet glares.

"don't hurt Ironhide." Reflect warns. "you 'pologise! you hurt book!" Reflect glares.

"I will apologise I promise." Ratchet mutters putting him down. he looks up when Sunstreaker and Sideswipe roll up.

"hey Ironhide called for back up." Sideswipe says.

"go on in and grab a bot." Ratchet mutters. he shakes his head and follows them inside. the five bots are recovered quickly and brought into the N.E.S.T. hanger.

they set the five up carefully on different berths for Ratchet to work on, but Reflect doesn't make it easy for the medic. he's not happy. he's angry at the medic, but he wants Ratchets attention.

"hold Reflect!" Reflect screams, waving his arms at him. Ratchet sighs a little.

"Reflect, I can't hold you, I have to get Perceptors rust under control before we wake him." Ratchet mutters.

"HOLD MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" Reflect screams.

<u>"Jack, please come to the N.E.S.T. hanger and get the sparkling?"</u>

<u>"busy."</u>

Wheeljack was still being curt with him. Ratchet sighs a little and shakes his head.

"okay I'm not going to get anything done." Ratchet mutters, dropping his tools and grabbing Reflect. he walks over to Ironhide and sighs. "look I over stepped, crossed a boundary. I did something stupid okay? I'm sorry. I know I can't make up for that, but I am sorry. I really am. I was angry and embarrassed and I should've listened to Wheeljack instead of just assuming you'd do something like that. I know you wouldn't you're better than that. I ask you not to so I know you wouldn't... I was just angry. I shouldn't have even tried using the book like that. I shouldn't have even touched it. it wasn't part of the argument." Ratchet says. Ironhide stares at him and huffs.

"if you think, some stupid apology will make everything better, you're an idiot." Ironhide snaps, reaching for Reflect. "and you don't have to pretend just so I'll take the sparkling." he growls, turning around and storming off. Reflect blows a raspberry at Ratchet over Ironhides shoulder, before hugging his neck. Reflect nuzzles into his neck with a whine.

"stupid Ratchet." Reflect mumbles.

"I don't need you to fight my battles little one." Ironhide murmurs softly. "but I do appreciate your fight for me." he adds.

"Reflect and Jack angry for Ironhide." Reflect mumbles.

"I know. I know you are, but you don't need to be." Ironhide murmurs.

"but am!" Reflect whines.

"don't ruin your relationship with your caregiver ove rme Reflect. I'm not worth it." Ironhide assures. "besides, I've got a new book, alright?" Ironhide ask. Reflect cuddles him.

"but Ironhide upset." Reflect says.

"no I'm not, I've got a new book. its okay." Ironhide murmurs. "listen little one, I saw Will... okay? he talked me through it. okay? I'll be alright with Ratchet in a few days okay? but its okay. I've got a new book. alright?" Ironhide ask. Reflect nods a little. Ironhide wouldn't tell him he was lying. he'd probably never forgive Ratchet, he'd move on especially after Reflects big reveal, but he'd never forgive Ratchet. never trust him again, but the sparkling didn't need to know that. "its alright." Ironhide murmurs.

"bring back lots. all friends?" Reflect ask. Ironhide nods.

"yup. Red Alert and Inferno are good friends of mine, they're bonded. Perceptor has always been a good friend of Wheeljacks." Ironhide murmurs. "Hot Rod was a little hot headed but he was always a good fighter." Ironhide adds.

"last one?" Reflect asks.

"Sentinel Priime." Optimus says. Ironhide turns around and looks at the Prime.

"he's a good friend of Optimus." Ironhide murmurs. "a good friend of all of us actually. he was older than us, by a lot. he was already a mech when we were sparklings, but he was like a brother." Ironhide mutters.

"a brother who has finally come home." Optimus agrees. Ironhide nods smiling, but Reflect doesn't smile or even acknowledge them. he's watching Ratchet over Ironhides shoulder. watching him work on Sentinel.

"I don't like him." Reflect says quietly. it immediately has both bots attentions, but for different reasons. Ironhides on edge now, but Optimus is frowning.

"Reflect. you cannot judge someone you haven't even met." Optimus murmurs.

"yes can." Reflect mumbles. hugging Ironhides neck. "don't like..." Reflect whimpers. he hugs tighter to Ironhides neck.

"Reflect?" Ironhide asks, hugging him. "hey little one are you alright?" Ironhide ask. Reflect whines quietly. the black mech frowns a little.

"okay. thats okay." Ironhide assures.

"Ironhide you can't-" Optimus starts.

"he's a sparkling Prime. you know he doesn't like new bots. especially when me, Ratchet, Jack, or you like them. he's afraid to lose us." Ironhide says. "you know that." he adds, shifting the sparkling. the Prime frowns at him looking like he's about to argue, when Ratchet shouts for him.

"Prime! hey! Sentinels got something in his servo you should see!" Ratchet shouts. Optimus frowns but heads over to the medic.

"come on little one lets go." Ironhide murmurs. he pauses in his walk, wincing and rubbing his chest. his spark hadn't hurt like that since Will had died. he grunts a little, stumbling. something doesn't feel right. surely the Primes wouldn't let anything happen to him, especially with Reflect in his arms.

"Ironhide?" Reflect ask when the mech stumbles again. Ironhide sets him down quickly, holding his chest. "IRONHIDE!" Reflect screams. it has both Ratchet and Optimus looking over.

"Ironhide?" Ratchet calls. "Ironhide hey are you alright?" Ratchet asks. he and Optimus run over quickly when Ironhide grips his chest and hits his knees. "grab Reflect get him out of the way." Ratchet says, grabbing Ironhide before he can fall forward. Optimus scoops up Reflect, the sparkling screaming for Ironhide the whole time.

<u>"Jack! somethings wrong with Ironhide! get to the hanger now!"</u>

<u>"on my way."</u>

"Ratchet whats going on?" Optimus ask.

"I don't know. he was fine a minute ago." Ratchet frowns. "gotta be his spark. he hasn't been telling me about any issues he's been having with it, but you know what happens when a bonded dies." Ratchet murmurs.

"can you open his chestplates and look at his spark?" Optimus ask.

"whats going on with Reflect? we can hear him screaming across the whole hanger!" Epps shouts running over.

"somethings wrong with Ironhide." Ratchet says, forcing the mechs chestplates open. "by the Allspark." Ratchet mutters.

"whats wrong?" Wheeljack asks, running over.

"his spark is fragging dying!" Ratchet snaps. "we need to get him back to the medbay right now. I don't have what I need here to work on him." Ratchet says, shutting his chestplates. "pick him up. lets go." Ratchet adds, gripping Ironhide up under his arms.

"take the sparkling I've got him." Optimus says, pushing the screaming sparkling into Wheeljacks arms. he scoop up Ironhide the best he can and runs off with Ratchet.

"hang on Hide." Wheeljack murmurs, running after them.

Reflect is still screaming at the top of his voice box when they get back to the base.

"Jack? whats going on? what happened to Ironhide?" Jazz asks confused.

"whys the sparkling screaming?" Hound frowns.

"Ironhides spark is dying." Wheeljack murmurs, shoving Reflect at him and running after Optimus and Ratchet.

Reflect screams for hours, nearly two, before his voice box just stops making sound. it shorts out, but it doesn't stop him from trying. the sad and worried looks coming from the older bots do nothing to stop the little bots silent screaming. he ,of course, can't tell them that his own spark is hurting. he doesn't understand why it hurts, but that doesn't stop his silent tantrum. his screaming, kicking, fighting fit. the silent fit lasts another three and a half hours before the little sparkling finally collapses in exhaustion in Bumblebee's arms, the only bot he'd stay with. every Autobot on base is in the rec room, doing their best to stay as quiet as they can, but they all look up when Optimus walks in.

"Optimus, what happened?" Sam asks softly, sitting on Bee's shoulder. Optimus shakes his head a little.

"Ironhide is okay. he will be in the medbay for a few days, but he's alright." Optimus assures.

"but what happened?" Jazz ask. Optimus frowns.

"well, you all know what happens to a spark when one loses their bonded. Ratchet says his spark was stable for a bit, but something brought on pain. he's not sure what, but the pain caused a tear in his spark causing Ironhides spark to... to briefly extinguish, Ratchet saved him of course, but we're not sure what caused the spark pain." Optimus frowns.

"Ironhide offlined?" Sideswipe asks, looking at his twin.

"look the grumps not my favorite either, but Ratchet saved him right?" Sunstreaker ask. Optimus nods once.

"yes, but like I said, we're not sure what caused this so-" Optimus starts.

"I know. so do Ratchet and Wheeljack since Ratchets the one who did it." Sam spits.

"Sam." Bumblebee says firmly.

"no! Ratchet had no right to do what he did! he hurt Ironhide and then had the nerve to try and brush it off! I'm surprised it took this long for it to get to him!" Sam growls.

"easy kid. sparklings still in stasis." Hound warns gently.

"Sam, what are you talking about?" Optimus asks.

"I don't know all the details, just that Ratchet thought Ironhide told Wheeljack something that Wheeljack says Ironhide didn't actually tell him. Ironhide tried to tell Ratchet that he didn't tell Wheeljack but Ratchet didn't care and he saw an old photo album on Ironhides berth or something so he threatened to shoot it and when Ironhide tried to grab it and stop him, Ratchet grabbed it and damaged it pretty good. Ironhide said Ratchet left finger indentions in the book cover. ruined it. Ironhide was pretty upset, and I mean actually upset not pissed. he looked a little crushed, I've never seen a look like that on his face. Ironhide was pretty upset about it, yesterday we went to a craft store, me Ironhide, Bee, and Reflect. we helped Hide pick out a new photo album for the pictures but he was still pretty messed up on it." Sam explains hesitantly. Optimus frowns.

"is that what this is about?" Optimus frowns.

"I don't know for sure, but he has been rubbing his chestplates a lot since then...." Sam trails.

"Ironhide had a melt down over a photo album?" Crosshairs huffs.

"it was Wills photo album. you know, the one he used to carry around. he liked to show it off to people...." Sam murmurs.

"the one he was always adding pictures to after missions in case something happened to him or Ironhide?" SIdeswipe ask. Sam and Bee nod.

"that'd be the one." Sam murmurs.

"I guess I'll have to bring this up with Ratchet." Optimus frowns.

"no don't!" Sam shouts. Reflect shifts and most of the Autobots glare at the human. "sorry, but don't. you know how Ironhide is, he didn't want you guys to know about this, clearly. he's been keeping it to himself. its probably uncomfortable for him to talk about, and maybe even a little embarrassing. we all know Ironhide. if he's not angry or laughing, its not one of his emotions, until it came to his bondmate." Sam says.

"where's your point human?" Crosshairs snaps.

"first of all, its Ironhide, talking about this stuff isn't something he likes to do. this is literally a mech who drove into a tornado with Will in his backseat, because he thought turning away from it showed weakness. you're his friends, his family, but he doesn't want to seem weak. lets face it, I know of several bots who are probably thinking its stupid or ridiculous that he's upset about Ratchet ruining something that belonged to a human, but that human was Ironhides bonded." Sam says. "and secondly if you bring it up to Ratchet, Ratchets going to confront Ironhide, whether to apologize or make it worse. thats certainly not going to be good for Ironhide. you're just going to make things worse Optimus. the best thing to do is let them figure it out. Ironhide didn't want any of you to know. his spark is literally tearing itself apart because Ratchet destroyed something that belong to Will and meant a fuck ton to Ironhide, if you confront him, we could lose Ironhide." Sam murmurs. Optimus frowns, thinking it over for a few minutes.

"you have brought up a good point Sam. I will still be talking to both of them, don't worry, I will wait until Ironhide is in better condition to do so." Optimus assures gently. "I will take his spark into consideration. I will be careful. as for everyone else, this issue is not to come up to Ironhide. in spite, in fun, in anger. it is not to come up at all. any more damage to his spark and Ironhide could offline." Optimus warns.

"does that mean he's being pulled from active duty?" Prowl asks, arms over his chest.

"yes. until further notice." Optimus says. Prowl nods once.

"I'll make note." Prowl murmurs. Optimus nods.

"Bumblebee, go a head and take the sparkling to the medbay where Ratchet and Wheeljack can take a look at his vocal processor. I was already alerted that he strained it by Ratchet." Optimus murmurs.

"sure thing Prime." Bumblebee smiles, cuddling Reflect gently. he carries him down to the medbay carefully.

Reflects stil sleeping when they get there.

"I brought Reflect... hows Ironhide?" Bumblebee ask. whatever hard feelings previously between the medic and his bonded seem to be forgotten as they're sitting together watching Ironhide.

"we did everything we could... he won't wake up..." Ratchet says softly.

"did what we could scout, the rest is up to Ironhide..." Wheeljack murmurs, taking Reflect. "how long as he been out?" Wheeljack asks.

"a couple hours or so. he screamed until he passed out, but Optimus said someone told you he screamed himself mute basically." Bumblebee murmurs.

"pretty much every bot let us know." Ratchet mutters.

"is Ironhide gonna be okay?" Bumblebee asks, nervously. Ratchet sighs, turning to Ironhide.

"like Jack said... the rest is up to Ironhide." Ratchet murmurs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.9K 2.3K 43
Nichole James has been medically discharged from the Marine Corps. She was in a ambush overseas. She is a heartless, ruthless killer. She is a soulle...
40.2K 1.6K 58
"His mind and body will crumble until there is nothing left but a former husk, and then I will build. I will give him everything you so selfishly den...
51.3K 1.6K 43
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."- Master Oogway --- ~ BOOK 1 OF THE LIGHTBLADE SERIES Fate sometimes leads us to vario...
38.2K 874 22
You and Optimus have been an item for about 2 years, you convinced your parents to let you join NEST a organization that fights Decepticons and is hi...