Hubris

By Moonlit_Jazz

A mystery adventure type story, about an emotionless boy named Zeldris who has received a deadly curse for go... More

Chapter 1: The chosen one
Chapter 2: Repent!
Chapter 3: Restart!
Chapter 4: Confrontation!
Chapter 5: The Battle!
Chapter 6: Resolve!
Chapter 7: Second Wind!
Chapter 9: The Brawl Part 2!
Chapter 10: An Offer You Can't Refuse!
Chapter 11: Change!
Chapter 12: Modesty!
Chapter 13: A New Face!
Chapter 14: Rejection!
Chapter 15: Dissension!
Chapter 16: Denier of Free will!
Chapter 17: A Little Help!
Chapter 18: A New Ally!
Chapter 19: Strike Back!
Chapter 20: Rule Of Three!
Chapter 21: Damned!
Chapter 22: The Truth!
Chapter 23: His Decree!
Chapter 24: Club Activities!
Chapter 25: Preparation!

Chapter 8: The Brawl!

4 1 0
By Moonlit_Jazz

The scene starts with Zeldris and his three friends staring down Donny and his small army of teenagers. Donny cracked his knuckles..he had a smug expression..the type of smug expression that was burned into your memory. Zeldris's stomach churned slightly, he raised his hand to hold it over his stomach..one blow would mean certain death. He would be lying if he said he wasn't scared or a little nervous. Now wasn't the time for wavering however, it was all or nothing. Zeldris nodded at his boys before saying.

Zeldris: "Leave Donny to me. Split up!"

The three boys nodded before quickly dashing off in different directions. Donny cut his eyes before commanding to his gang.

Donny: "You idiots! Go after the spineless wimps and take em out! Leave this punk to me, I've got a score to settle with the little bastard."

Donny's boys did exactly that, they all saluted before splitting up and chasing the three boys. Zeldris was alone in the ring, the crowd began to chant.

Crowd: "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!"

A chant many teenagers would do when they were about to watch a great fight. Donny raised his hand a taunted Zeldris to come closer beckoning him. Zeldris wasn't going to fall for this, he turned around before he ran away.

Donny: "Ay it's too late to pussy out now punk! Get your ass back here."

Zeldris ran down the field. Each step he took crushed the green blades of grass below, his short black hair blew back in the breeze as he ran. Donny chased after him. Due to his hulking stature each step he took rumbled the ground slightly, it was like a beating drum that got louder and louder as he got closer to Zeldris.

Donny: "For making me run, I'll punch your face to the back of your head when I catch you!"

The scene changed. Now it shifted to Ryo in a dead forest, he ran with his blue backpack as he lured some of Donny's boys into forest. It was like a forest of illusion, countless dead leaves and trees in a rather repetitive pattern continued on. There were easy hiding spots due to the large tree trunks and stacks of dead leaves..perfect for a man that was strategically evasive. Ryo was good with a slingshot just like Zeldris, Jack and Takeo. However in terms of outfoxing his enemies and somehow pulling through Ryo also had a natural knack for that. Ryo leaped up and grabbed a tree trunk before climbing up. He reached his hand into the side compartment of his backpack to grab the slingshot. The slingshot was a highly modified one, it had two copper barrels with a layer of rubber bands on the inside to add more velocity to the bullets. It was made to be a side arm similar to a pump shotgun but a little less deadly. As the boys arrived into the dead forest, they called out for Ryo's name as they looked around. Ryo loaded the slingshot, he put a few small rocks loading up the barrels. With his right eye he stared down the scope..a stack of them were in his line of sight. Ryo placed his index finger over the trigger and took a shot. The slingshot was silent but deadly, as his index finger pressed on the plastic blue trigger, the rocks shot out at exceedingly high velocity. They shot out as one large rock before breaking and scattering, descending on his opponents below. It was a deadly rain of fire that bludgeoned his enemies, they crumbled to the ground as each rock pelted them. Screams echoed throughout the forest causing the birds to fly away in a panic.

Random guy: "GAH!!! What the hell?!"

Random guy 2: "The fucker is up in the tree!"

They knew his position but it was too late. Ryo continued to load up his slingshot, more and more and more until the boys were knocked out. Ryo spun the slingshot around in his fingers before tucking it back in his backpack. Ryo let out a low whistle before saying to himself.

Ryo: "Goodness, we are quite fortunate to have Takeo as an ally...He'd be quite a formidable opponent if he took the route of pure evil."

Ryo heard rustling from a bush. He swiftly turned around to see who it was. A man stepped out standing at five foot ten. He walked toward Ryo as he had his hands in his pockets, he had a smirk as his steps got closer.

???: "Cool weapon kid, you took out all of our small fry's in an instant. Whoever made that we'll keep em alive. Boss will be impressed when we finally get a man that can make weapons for us." A voice said in a rather upbeat manner.

Ryo: "That voice..." Ryo said as he cut his blue hues.

Ryo: "Lefty.."

Lefty: "Oh. it's you. I remember you, you're that weird kid with the freaky long red hair. I did you a favour cutting that shit with scissors and this is how you repay me?"

Ryo: "Did me a favour?.." Ryo said as anger started to boil from within.

Ryo: "You knew how much I valued my hair! To say you did me a favour is an insult to my family name! We were once friends but you chose to side with the man that picked on those who couldn't even defend themselves."

Lefty: "He was much cooler than you and your friends, you could've joined us and actually been popular. I chose the right decision compared to you fucking virgins. People see us as royalty at school and bow down to lick our shoes. Like hell I'd be apart of that crowd and join them in that. Cutting your hair was my test to get in, you should be grateful it wasn't to beat the shit out of you." He said with a smirk.

Ryo had a small smile to expose his charming personality.

Ryo: "Todays the day a new king will be crowned, Lefty. I will be the beacon that will guide Zeldris forward."

Lefty: "BAHAHAGA, are you serious? Come on don't make me laugh. Just come here and accept your beating like a good boy."

Ryo: "As you wish...I do hope you remember that in all the times we've fought in our youth, you have not beaten me once."

Ryo ran towards lefty having the same smug expression spread across his face. Lefty stood up straight with his hands in his pockets not even flinching. When Ryo threw a punch toward his face, Lefty merely strafed out of the way. He continuously dodged all of Ryo's attempts at a direct hit. Ryo fists flew past his face, his kicks were stepped over. Lefty wasn't even giving him a chance.

Lefty: "What, did you really think I haven't been training to get this position? While you squandered your time playing video games and make believe with your friends. Boss took me to the gym and trained me. I'm not the same little wuss you knew years ago. I'll give you a taste of my strength."

The next punch that Ryo threw toward his face was grabbed. Lefty had a tight grip on his wrist..the grip was tight to the point it felt like he was crushing his bones in his wrist. Lefty pulled back his other fist and punched Ryo in the face, his cheek was bruised as it puffed up slightly. His lip was popped as blood began ooze from his bottom lip.  

Lefty: "If that's all it took, then fucking hell you're a waste of my time. GYAHAHAHAH."

Ryo raised his right hand. Using the back of it, he wiped off the blood from his mouth before taking a deep breath. This wasn't going to be easy..not in the slightest. Ryo ran toward him once again. This time just as he got close enough, he raised his foot and kicked up leaves to distract him. Lefty was disoriented, he grunted at the cheap trick. From below Ryo jumped up, his right hand met his chin as he uppercutted him. Lefty was sent upwards slightly but Ryo wasn't done. Ryo pulled back his fist before throwing a punch into his stomach. Lefty stumbled grunting from the sudden sharp jolt of pain, he then looked up cutting his eyes at Ryo.

Lefty: "What the fuck was that?!." He growled.

Lefty threw a punch toward Ryo but Ryo saw it coming. He ducked under the fist before sweeping Lefty's legs. Lefty fell down but before he could touch the ground, he planted his hands onto the ground to bounce back up. As he did so, he used both feet to kick Ryo. This was a hefty blow to Ryo..he coughed out blood slightly as he was sent back crashing into a tree. The world was spinning as the attack caught him off guard, it made him dizzy due to the full weight of both his feet was sent crashing into him. Lefty raised his left leg, he swiftly pushed it out in an attempt to crush his head against the tree. Just in time, Ryo moved his head to the right just barely dodging it. Ryo was about to start his counter attack, he reached for large rock on thr ground and threw it at Lefty's face. Lefty grabbed it effortlessly as he cut his eyes at him.

Lefty: "Really, is that the best you can do?" He questioned lowly.

Lefty threw the rock to the side before he moved his right foot back. Lefty then sent a  flurry of kicks to Ryo's side. Ryo was beginning to see stars due to continuous hits, his vision was beginning to become a blur as all he could see was a figure flying towards him. Ryo's body was slumped..it started to look like he was going to meet his demise. His body was battered, bruised. It started to look like that bleak future was becoming a reality for him again. Ryo looked down as he said weakly.

Ryo: "I have failed you all...this perhaps is as far as my abilities can take me" He mumbled as his last visions were of his family and friends.

Ryo: "Zeldris..I know you'll become a grand king...I am only sorry that I won't be there to..witness it."

Lefty stepped back. He dug his hand into his pocket before taking out what seemed to be a flick knife. The flick knife was black and white with a leather wrap, on the wrap it had the words etched into it "Stabby." Lefty stepped over to him, as he did so he used his thumb to flip the small lever of it up. A long blade swiftly flicked up, it was razor sharp as the bright sunlight gleamed around the tip of the sharp blade ominously. Lefty looked down at Ryo with disgust as he grabbed him by his hair and lifted him up. Left then held the flick knife to his throat before saying.

Lefty: "This time, I win." Lefty said as his disgusted face turned into a smile.

He dug the knife into his neck as he slowly began to cut at it. Ryo screamed in pain as he flailed around.
Blood began to spill from Ryo's neck as the cut was getting deeper and deeper. Ryo felt excruciating pain as he heard the sounds of the knife opening up and cutting the skin. Lefty was about to reach his gullet. Suddenly a stroke of luck had happened! As Ryo flailed in the air, he moved his left leg back and forwards swiftly. His foot ended up right between Lefty's legs Inevitably kicking him in the genitals. Lefty yelped in pain as he dropped him and the knife.

Lefty: "FUCK. MY NARDS!!!" He called out in pain as his cheeks puffed out.

Ryo quickly stumbled up before he sent a full power kick to Lefty's head. The sheer force of his foot smashed against his Lefty's face. Lefty's skull was fractured slightly which resulted in him being knocked out by Ryo. Ryo ripped off a piece of his shirt before wrapping it around his neck, he had began to pant due to being exhausted as he looked over his past knocked out friend.

Ryo: "It's just as I said, Lefty. You have never beaten me in a fight.." Ryo said with a light smile.

Ryo: "I fear I'll die a painful death one day..due to my fortune." Ryo said to himself as he picked up the knife.

He tucked it away in his pocket as he walked off, leaving the forest of illusion behind to give back up to his friends. He limped forward, catching himself on trees until he got out. He looked over at the green field, to see everything was going according to plan.

The scene changed. Jack was seen running toward the back of the park, he arrived at the basketball court. His job was to distract the lackeys and spread them out so they wouldn't get the jump on them. Jack slid to a stop as he heard one of the lackeys call out.

Random lackey: "Come here tubby!"

Jack looked back before he reached for a stink bomb from his bag.

Jack: "Plug your noses." He said simply as he lobbed it.

As the group were enshrouded in the green cloud of the pungent and foul smoke. They started to cough hard.

Random lackey: "What the fuck..that shit is rancid." One of them said between coughs.

Jack held his breath before he held out both his arms to close line them all, they were all knocked out as they fell to the ground. The shock of the smell and the muscles of jack made quite a strong combo.

Jack: "How'd you like that? I call it. Stink line! AHAHAHAGA."

Jack smiled to himself as he made his way back. However he was met with a punch in the face from the cloud of green smoke which sent him to the side.

???: "Cheap trick." The voice said unimpressed.

Jack looked up at the figure, he cut his eyes before saying.

Jack: "Bastard..it's you isn't it?! Peanut!"

A rather large man stepped out, he stood at six foot 3 with quite a bulk. He had a tooth pick in his mouth which hung out of the side of it. A scar over his left eye, his hair colour blonde. The sides of his head was shaved, and the top of his hair was flat to make a Mohawk. He looked down at Jack before he walked over.

Peanut: "Don't resist." He said bluntly as he walked toward Jack.

Jack: "YOU, IT WAS YOU!!!"

Peanut: "Huh?.."

Jack: "You're the dickhead that slapped my burger out if my hands!!!"

Peanut: "What are you talking about?" Peanut said confused.

Jack: "SHUT UP!! I know it was you!!" Jack called out as he ran toward him.

Peanut was beyond confused. He stared blankly at Jack watching him rush over. Peanut scratched the back of his head before he balled his fist and slammed it into his head.

Peanut: "Down boy." He said plainly.

Jack fell to the ground. His face planted in the ground as the punch connected on the top of his head. Jack bounced back up swiftly before punching Peanut in the stomach. It was futile, Peanut was the right hand man to Donny. His body had absolute defence from normal punches. Jack was surprised but it was short lived, he was met with a kick to the chin which made his skid back. Peanut walked over slowly, the chain from his pocket rattled which each step. Jack wiped blood from his mouth before raising his arms in a stance. As peanut raised his fist to punch him, Jack lowered himself before wrapping his arms around his waist. Peanut was confused but lowered his fist down on the back of his head, donkey punching him. Jack didn't budge however. He still held on tight, he tightened his hold before lifting up Peanut off his feet and throwing him back. Peanut was shocked as his head was planted in the ground. Jack jumped back, he thought it was over but that was far from the truth. Peanut tucked his hands into his pocket before he moved his head out of the ground. Gravel fell into the hole below as he got his head out. He cracked his neck both sides before he walked over to Jack.

Jack: "What..how?" He questioned shocked.

Peanut: "Your attacks won't work. My defence is something you little squirts wish for. I have the curse of defence." Peanut said bluntly as he stepped over to him.

The dust dirtied his black uniform, but Peanut didn't care. He wanted to take down Jack and go back to his Boss's side in record time. Jack bursted out into laughter hearing about the curse, he then humbled himself knowing this was..going to be tough...he wasn't so sure he could beat him. What did he mean, a curse..? What did that have to do with the fight? Jack looked up at him, he shivered slightly as he gulped. Peanut threw a punch toward his face which made Jack stumble to the side, he continuously punched his face over and over until his nose bled and his nose was tilted slightly to show it was broken. Peanut left him slumped against a fence. Peanut then walked off, he dug both his hands into the ground before he grabbed a rather large rock. In his  his hand..his aim was to cave Jacks skull in with it.

Peanut: "Any last words?" He questioned before with a blank expression.

Jack: "Yeah....Zeldris will be king!"

Peanut froze for a moment. He stared down at him. His brown hues were cut slightly as he heard those words, he couldn't help but question him.

Peanut: "Even when you're about to die, you're still gonna put your faith in that kid?" He questioned.

Jack: "Absolutely, we've seen Zeldris pull off some stuff..Donny ain't winning." Jack said with a grin.

Peanut blinked twice before saying lowly.

Peanut: "Then I've got even more reason to demoralise him." Peanut said bluntly as raised the large rock even higher in the air.

The sun had blinded Jack as he tried to gaze up at his executioner, he still had a smile on his face in the face of death.

Jack: "Sorry guys..sorry burger I couldn't avenge any of you. Your juicy patty will forever be lost in the countless burgers that had been dropped on the ground." Jack said as he imagined a burger making it's way up to heaven.

Peanut ignored his rambles as he lowered the stone, sending it down full speed toward his head. Jack closed his eyes accepting his fate.

Takeo: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! ARE YOU TRYING TO LET ZELDRIS DOWN?!" Takeo called out as he sprinted toward Peanut.

Takeo had what seemed to be a blue miniature cannon in his hand. He planted it in Peanuts back before he called out.

Takeo: "Now's not the time to lay down, big guy!"

As Jack heard the words of his best friend, he opened his eyes and rolled to the side. Peanut slammed the rock into the ground, it made a rather large crater.

Peanut: "Oh..I missed."

Takeo: "Jack! use the slingshot I made you!!" He called out.

Jack shook his head.

Jack: "No way man, I'm going to use my own invention." Jack reached into his bag before taking out a stink bomb.

Peanut looked at the two before he looked forward cutting his eyes. Peanut dropped the stone before raising both his arms, he quickly ejected them forward punching them both in the face. Takeo fell down, his face was bruised and his nose bled. His red glasses flew off onto the side which resulted in his vision being slightly blurry. Peanut looked over at Takeo before he made his way over to him.

Peanut: "You look too dangerous, I have to take you out first."

Peanut kicked Takeo in the stomach. Takeo grunted as saliva flew out of his mouth, he was thrown forward as he skidded on his side. He let out a low groan. Peanut raised his foot and began to stomp on him repeatedly each time his large foot connected with Takeo's frail body, it made Takeo groan in pain as he could feel his bones weakening to the sheee force of the kicks. Jack ran toward peanut he threw himself at him, but it did nothing due to peanut's curse. He looked back at Jack before grabbing him on the neck and punching him in the face.

Peanut: "I'll deal with you in a minute. Wait your turn." He said plainly.

Takeo opened his eyes and tapped the ground to look for his glasses, when he had felt them he put them back on his face. He looked up to see Jack was being choked out. Takeo gritted his teeth as he reach for his weapon. Takeo planted into his back once again.

Takeo: "I knew you bastards were strong..so I had to try to make something on the fly! I made this weapon to protect my friends and make sure there are no casualties!! I call this! The grand cannon!" Takeo called out pridefully.

Peanut was confused as he looked down at him.

Peanut: "It won't wo-"

Jack cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

Jack: "You're right..it won't work, but mine will!!" He called out with a cocky smirk.

Peanut faced Jack. When he was about to say something, Jack lifted up the stink bombs and shoved it into his mouth.

Jack: "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!"

When Jack had called that out. Takeo pressed the trigger to his weapon, it lit up slightly as he did so. As the potato can at the back turned to the right, from the rather large barrel at the end, a potato was shot into his lower back. Peanut felt it slightly which made he grunt in pain, as he did so the stink bomb went off which in turn gassed him from the inside. The chemicals from within bubbled inside Peanut which caused his mouth to foam and fizzle green. Peanut fell onto his back. Jack was dropped onto the ground and Takeo was hunched over trying to catch his breath slightly. The pair of them were out of breath as they fist bumped each other.

Takeo: "That's what you get for messing with us. Guess we avenged your..burger." Takeo said with a smile toward his friend.

Jack: "Now that you mention it. I don't think he slapped my burger out of my hands. I just remembered I was a little clumsy and dropped it." Jack said rubbing the back of his head with a slight laugh.

Takeo looked up at him, he blinked twice before he opened mouth to say bluntly.

Takeo: "Don't ruin the moment."

The scene changed. Zeldris was still running away from Donny. He was getting close to the big tree, the crowd booed him due to the fact he did nothing and kept running. Donny was hot on his tail, his anger slowly peaking as he got closer to Zeldris.

Zeldris: "We're at the final stretch, it all comes down to this!"

Chapter end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.6K 2.5K 14
He wouldn't know what hit him. He tried to fight his attraction. But a crash and a dog had other ideas. • Completed Story • Mature Content • All Rig...
Hubris: Vol 3 By Moonlit_Jazz

Mystery / Thriller

9 0 37
Now that Zeldris has gotten a few links to uncover the mystery, Zeldris and his friends decide to travel to Italy to try and uncover the piece of the...
0 0 30
After successfully escaping the complex, Zeldris is met with a familiar face. Zeldris has caught wind of a potential place to getting his answers..wh...
Just my luck By Angie Romero

Mystery / Thriller

309 23 21
Hayley falls for a guy who is the best that any girl could ever be with...that is until they get more serious with their relationship. She thinks he...