More than Friends (Papyrus x...

By Loomingx

After falling into the underground, Toriel nurses you back to health and takes you in as her own. Six months... More

Chapter 1: The Fall
Chapter 2: Winter Wonderland
Chapter 3: A Promise
Chapter 4: Surprise Meeting
Chapter 5: The Sleepover
Chapter 6: Cooking with Papyrus
Chapter 7: Now You're Green!
Chapter 9: Bake Off!
Chapter 10: Found Family
Chapter 11: A New Job
Chapter 12: A New Friend?
Chapter 13: Restoring Hope
Chapter 14: Family Reunited
Chapter 15: A Sleep Over, and a Slip Down
Chapter 16: Truth and Morality
Chapter 17: Acceptance and Embrace
Chapter 18: Alphys' Care, and Alphys' Secrets
Chapter 19: The Return of Two Souls
Chapter 20: The Finale

Chapter 8: Date, Commence!

821 35 11
By Loomingx

Undyne and the others sat in the living room, chatting happily.

You and Papyrus are still in the kitchen looking out in the living room, having recently prepared a cup of cocoa for Undyne and the others again.

"By the way, Papyrus, are you alright?" You asked, turning to him.

"EH? WHY DO YOU ASK?" He questions.

"I've never heard you use that tone before, when you shouted at Undyne..." You replied, "Well, and when I threw you out of the way."

"AH..." He spoke, stopping.

The two of you sat in silence for a moment, peering back out into the living room.

"I WAS ANGRY. I... AM ALSO ASHAMED I LET YOU ALMOST GET HURT." He started, "I AM SUPPOSED TO BE A ROYAL GUARD BUT... I WAS SCARED."

You smile softly, feeling empathetic for Papyrus. Carefully you rest your hand on his arm.

"Paps, royal guards can be scared. Being scared doesn't make you weak, but protecting those you care about shows strength." You commented, "You stood in front of me, ready to take the hit for me. That's true bravery."

Papyrus quickly turned his face away from you, but the bright orange was still very evident from this angle. 

You laughed, turning back to the living room.

"I'm thinking about moving to Snowdin. What do you think?" You ask him.

"REALLY?! THAT WOULD BE SPECTACULAR! I WOULD LOVE TO SHOW YOU AROUND, MAYBE EVEN ASSIST IN YOUR SEARCH FOR A HOME!" Papyrus said, grabbing your hands with excitement.

"I would love that! I'm sure you know everything there is about Snowdin, and maybe a good place to settle?" You replied, gently tightening your hands around his.

"THERE IS A LOVELY PLACE UNUSED NOT TO FAR THROUGH THE FOREST LINE... I PASS BY IT OFTEN ON MY PATROLS", he replied, "THERE'S A NICE FLAT HERE TOO FOR ICE SKATING... AND GRILLBY'S ISN'T... HORRIBLE." 

Looking into your eyes, he looks down at his hands to see he is still holding yours.

"AH! SORRY!" He quickly lets them go.

You laugh, warmth rising in your cheeks, "It's ok Papyrus, you got excited! I completely understand."

Papyrus nods, clearing his throat, "AH.. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF I SHOWED YOU AROUND THE OTHER PARTS OF THE UNDERGROUND TOO?"

"That sounds fantastic Pap! I've always wondered what the rest of the underground is like. Is it all a wintery landscape?" You asked, your eyes lighting up.

"OF COURSE NOT! JUST FURTHER OF SNOWDIN IS WATERFALL, THEN THE HOTLANDS, AND NEW HOME - WHERE THE KING RESIDES." He started, "WELL, THE FIRST TWO SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES, BUT NEW HOME IS A LOT LIKE THE RUINS."

You nod, "So Waterfall has waterfalls, and Hotland is hot?"

"PRECISELY SO!" He responded joyfully.

Suddenly laughter bursts out from the living room.

Turning your head from your conversation with Papyrus, you see they are watching a show about... a robot? Is that the one they talked about earlier being Alphys' robot? Maybe there's more than one robot in the underground, or a race of robot monsters?

"What's going on?" You ask, walking into the living room, interested.

"Ha! Mettaton has the king as a guest on the show right now, as a guest speaker! One thing led to another, and BOOM! Pie in the face!" Flowey gasped for air, laughing again.

"Classic pie in the face, loving it." Sans said, having sunk into the couch, seeming enjoying the show.

So that's why there's a big dip in the couch there!

"Ah it truly is hilarious to see him get a face full of pie! Just wish it were mine!" Toriel laughed loudly, wiping a tear from her eye.

"The big goat guy with whipped cream all over his face? He does look 'king-ly' if you look at everything except his pie-d face!" You laughed, "So this show has things like this?"

"Eh, Mettaton's show is usually way more dangerous but he wouldn't do that to the king of course. That'd be asking for trouble." Sans replied.

"YES! IT'S MY FAVORITE SHOW! METTATON IS THE UNDERGOUNDS GREATEST CELEBRITY!" Papyrus announced, entering the living room to watch too.

Now the robot was rolling around the stage, zooming away from the king who was hot on his trail for revenge with a pie in his hand ready for launching.

"Do you think the king will hit him?" You asked, "Mettaton is pretty fast."

"Well if he can throw a javelin with accuracy, a pie would be nothing!" Flowey responded quickly, laughing.

Everyone but Flowey went silent after that comment, the room's mood quickly dropping.

"OH! WE SHOULD DEFINITELY GO SEE A SHOW OF HIS SOMETIME BUTTERCUP! THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER IN PERSON!" Papyrus added, visibly excited.

"The running banner at the bottom says they have a show tomorrow." Sans mentions, pointing at the screen.

"Hopefully the show tomorrow is as tame as the one today. Also, how am I going to hide myself as a human in front of all those monsters?" You ask, concern lacing your voice, "I would love to go with you Paps, but..."

"Hey! Let's put like, one of those Christmas antler headbands on you and a little bit of makeup! We can easily disguise you!" Undyne said quickly.

"You think that'll work?" You ask, looking at everyone's expressions.

Seems like they're all in agreement... sure! Why not!

"I mean, it would make it easier to explore the underground. Paps offered to show me around not too long ago!" You said, clenching your fists in excitement.

The get together passed quickly after that, agreeing to meet Sans, Papyrus, and Undyne at the brother's place at 5PM, then travel to see Mettaton's show tomorrow at 6PM.

Traveling home with Toriel as nice and quiet, holding each other's hands as you make your way through the snow. The loudest thing was the sound of her footsteps in the snow.

"So... what do you think of me moving out?" You asked her.

"Hm.. it's about time. I don't want you to leave, as any mother wouldn't, but I would love to help you move in somewhere." She speaks softly, "You'll have to let me visit often though!"

"Of course! I'll just give you an extra key to get in, if you ever need or want to!" You laugh, tightening your hand gently around her's.

Sleeping was easy that night, having had such a big and exciting day, but getting ready tomorrow made you nervous.

"Do I look alright mom? Is it too much?" You asked awkwardly.

You put on one of the oversized knitted sweaters she made you. It has a green and white repeating pine tree design with little goats. Toriel turned to you from her arm chair, placing down her book and putting on her small glasses.

"You look wonderful sweetie! You are acting like this is a date, haha!" She laughed, "It should be breathy enough, its not a thick knit after all. I would bring your coat for getting through Snowdin though!" 

Oh no. Is this a date? Is that why Papyrus invited you alone? No, you're best friends. 

"Buttercup? You look a little warm, maybe that shirt is too thick after all."

"No no! It's ok! Haha! Uh, I better get going! I'll bring the gold from yesterday since I didn't use any of it... Thanks mom!" You yelled, quickly turning to head out of the ruins.

"Wait! Is your phone on you?" She yelled out.

"Yeah! I'll text you when I get there! Love you!" You yelled down the hall, quickly pushing the door, throwing on your winter coat.

Dang, it's much heavier than you thought. Maybe you should've asked for Toriel's help.

Suddenly two hands with red gloves on quickly slid through the crack in the door, opening it all the way.

"Woah!" You yelled out, quickly being caught by.. Papyrus?

"MY APOLGIES! I SAW YOU THROUGH THE CRACK STRUGGLING SO I THOUGHT I WOULD HELP!" He quickly stood you up on your feet.

"Thanks! I would've ate snow pushing it with all my weight anyways!" You told him, "Oh. I thought we were supposed to meet at your place?"

"I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE RESPECTFUL TO COME GET YOU FIRST!" He mentioned, an orange blush appearing on his face.

"A-Ah! Haha! That's really sweet of you Paps!" You stutter, you both making your way across the bridge and nearing Snowdin.

"Anyways uh... I should probably ask but since you invited me alone... is this...?" You asked nervously, playing with the edges of your gloves, your face becoming warm.

"O-OH!" Papyrus yelled in surprise, "NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT... THIS REALLY IS A DATE!" 

You both laughed, looking at each other and meeting eyes, quickly looking away.

It was silent for a second, before you very nervously put your gloved hand in his as you walked together.

"I-I wouldn't mind if it was a, y'know, a date." You laughed a little bit, keeping your face turned from his in embarrassment.

"I.. WOULD REALLY LIKE THAT! A DATE IT IS THEN!" He said excitedly, tightening his hand around yours gently.

His hands were almost as big as Toriel's but definitely thinner. You'd think a skeleton would be cold and bony but, his hand is comfortable and warm to hold. Wonder what it would be like holding his hand without the gloves?

Suddenly the front door is in front of you both, Papyrus opening it for you and letting you in first before closing it behind you.

"About time!" Undyne shouted from the couch, getting up with a bag of makeup products in her hand.

Sans gets up from the couch next to her, coming up to you and handing you a... pretty realistic headband of antlers!

"Wow! Where'd you find these?" You asked, turning them and looking at their quality.

"The dump, stuff from the overworld flows in from there. Don't worry, they're clean." Sans laughed, "They should hold pretty strong and we can probably cover the headband with your hair, they're pretty much the same color."

"SEEMS LIKE WE ARE VERY LUCKY TODAY!" Papyrus announced.

"Yeah! Get those on! Let's get your makeup and hair started!" Undyne said with excitement, throwing you over her shoulder and taking you to the bathroom.

"Hair?!" You yelled out, "What?!"

She sets you down on the toilet seat roughly, dropping all the products into the sink.

"I gotta get your hair placed right so the headband will be invisible." She said, rubbing some product in her hands and moving your hair around after putting the headband on you.

"Alright! All we gotta do now is get some deer-kinda makeup going..." She added.

"Hopefully I don't look too silly as a monster." You said, nervously holding the bottom of your sweater.

"Nah! With that sweater, and my makeup skills, you'll fit right in!" Undyne announced proudly, "Not that you didn't fit in before of course!"

She ruffled your hair, "Ah dang it, now I gotta fix your hair again."

After a couple more minutes she stood back and held a mirror out to you.

"Undyne this is amazing! You matched my tone and everything! The little deer nose is so cute too!" You yell with excitement, standing up and giving her a tight hug.

"Hey! I only gave you one hug you dork! No more hugs!" She complained with a smile on her face.

"Oh shoot! I didn't get anything on you right?" You worriedly checked yourself in the mirror again.

"Nah, that stuff I sprayed on you is like hairspray, but for your face. It's gonna hold everything there and won't smudge. Waterproof too." She said, crossing her arms proudly, "Just don't lose the headband!"

"Aye aye captain!" You said, saluting, then quickly running out of the bathroom to see Papyrus and Sans.

"I'm ready! How much time to do we have to get there?" You asked, fixing your sweater and snow coat.

"PLENTY! ALSO, WOWIE! UNDYNE DID A GOOD JOB!" Papyrus notes, quickly applauding.

"Sweater matches too, Toriel make that?" Sans laughed, "I like the little goats."

"That's why I chose it! I like the little goats too!" You laughed, inspecting the sweater.

You noticed there were tiny symbols mixed into the pattern on the sweater too, like the one Toriel wears. What is that anyways?

"What is this symbol anyways? I see Toriel wearing it all the time." You mention, pointing at one of the symbols.

"That's the royal crest! Pretty snazzy how she threw that in there, I almost couldn't tell!" Undyne said, inspecting your sweater, "She'd make a decent amount of gold selling those sweaters! You should bring it up to her! I want one!" 

"I'll have to, she seems to make them pretty fast. I can never keep up with her!" You agree with Undyne.

"WE BETTER GET GOING! WE MUST TAKE THE RIVER BOAT THROUGH WATERFALL TO HOTLAND! FAREWELL!" Papyrus announced, quickly grabbing your hand to your surprise, and walking out the door with you.

"...wait are they on a date?!" Undyne yelled out in surprise, dropping all the makeup on the ground.

"You seriously just caught that?" Sans laughed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 1.6K 43
Life seems normal. Those birds are singing. All the flowers are blooming. The barrier is finally open, and you've realized that monsters are actuall...
91.5K 3.7K 24
You become a citizen in Snowdin due to being lost in the undergrounds. You had left Toriel and the ruins only to be greeted by someone you would've n...
102K 2.7K 29
You and Sans had been friends since you were little, when the monsters had to leave, you were really upset that your only friend, Red as you called h...
163K 6.1K 58
'When I was 13, I killed someone. By accident of course... It was the day I found out I possessed some type of power.' You kept it to yourself...