New flame

By Victoria_Adeniji

★Featured on the @AmbassadorsNG's reading lists★ Being the only son of an affluent money laundering politici... More

Welcome!!!🔥
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Author's Note!🥰

Chapter 37

32 14 2
By Victoria_Adeniji

"You will be submitting the printed hardcopy to me and you only have 48 hours to do so," The lecturer declares about the assignment he gave us. "Good day," He adds and starts walking out of the class. Everyone gets to their feet, packing their stuff.

This was the third and last class I attended today, heeding Karen's advice. I can't believe I was even punctual in the three classes and most importantly focused on what we were being taught.

I was also glad I secretly helped Scott mark his name on the attendance.

"How are we gonna do this thing?" One of us asks as an indistinct conversation begins among us.

"We should do joint work," Another person suggests while I bend over forward to tie my shoelaces. "We should contribute some money to the scholars who can help us,"

For my coursemates to be discussing doing joint work means the assignment is a tough one.

"Michael, you have a guest," Hearing that makes me stand straight to see Tolu pointing at Karen's friend, Tobi at the entrance. She wears a dark skirt suit, a button-down shirt, and a pair of flat shoes.

I reach for my backpack to meet up with her while my colleagues continue their conversation.

"Hey," I greet her, getting close to her and we step out of the lecture room. She is taller and thinner than Karen.

"What have you done to my friend?" She yells as she frowns at me while I furrow my brows in confusion. "What have..." She is saying and I cut in.

"Slow down," I say. "What happened?" I inquire.

"Karen hardly skips classes talkless the test we wrote just now," She expresses, looking worried.

"What!" I exclaim in shock. This must be the last test she told me about.

"Things have changed about her ever since you have been hanging out with her," She complains and I roll my eyes. "I might betray her but I care a lot about her," She adds and walks out on me.

Wait, I thought Karen said this babe has a crush on me. There is no way my crush would talk to me that way, probably she was right about caring a lot about Karen.

I reach for my phone in my pocket to dial Karen's number. She doesn't pick up my call, then I dial Maria's.

"Hey," She says the moment she picks up.

"Is Karen at home?"

"Nope, she made some cake this morning before going out and she has not returned,"

"She didn't tell you where she went to?"

"Yeah," Maria answers, and I scoff.

"Thank you," I say. I wonder where she would be.

Trying to think about who to call next, Angela comes to my mind, recalling that she added me on Facebook.

I slide to Facebook to text her.

"Hey, Angela, What's up?"

Waiting for her to reply to my text, I begin to walk to the car park.

"Mike," Becky's voice stops me and I turn around as she catches up with me.

"I forget to ask," She lets out. "How did it go with you and Scott?"

I let out a deep sigh before I respond.

"He just needs some time from me,"

"Oh!" She reacts.

"Thank you for everything," I say sincerely and she nods okay with a smile. As I watch her leave my presence, my phone chimes indicating a message.

It is Angela who texted me.

I'm good🙃

I voice call her immediately.

"Hey," I say as she picks up,

"Hey,"

"Did Karen come home?"

"No," She answers, and my heart begins to sink. "Is there any problem with her?"

"Not really," I retort. "We talked last night but I was told now that she missed a test this afternoon and I have confirmed she is not at our place,"

"Oh!" She reacts but her voice sounds relieved.

"You have any idea where she is?"

"Yeah...but..." She stutters.

"Please tell me, you have to trust me,"

"It's her dad's birthday," She states and I take a deep breath in relief. "She must be with him in the prison," She adds and I gasp in shock.

"Prison?" I repeat that in surprise.

"Yeah, it's meant to be a secret," She replies. "For her to miss the test, I am worried about her, and I think she needs help,"

"How long has he been there?" I ask.

"Almost 20 years, some month after she was born," She answers. My stomach twists and I feel some goosebumps pop all over my skin.

"What the hell?" I react.

"Yeah," She replies. "I have to go now," She hangs up and my mouth is left agape in shock.

So what she was saying that night was nothing but the truth. I check the time on my phone to see it's past 4 pm. I can't imagine that, it makes me feel so sorry for her.

I wonder what her dad must have done to be convicted of the crime. No matter what, I must find out everything.

******

I returned home from the studio around  7: 45 PM. Maria had messaged me at the studio that she was back home so I knew she would have done preparing supper by now.

I stop by the kitchen entrance to only see Maria doing some chores, I peep around the dining room to see dad and Olivia already having their dinner but I can't find her serving them.

I veer back to the kitchen and asked Maria about her.

"She has gone back to the quarters," She answers and I nod okay. Then I make my way outside to go meet her.

I knock on Maria's door and the door is opened by Karen. She must think it was Maria that she didn't care to ask about who was at the door.

"Hey," I greet her with a smile, looking all over her in her blue jean shorts and black strapless crop top.

"What are you doing here?" She asks in confusion.

"Can I come in at least?" I inquire and she shrugs okay while I step into the room. I quickly look around to see the room is cleaned up and well-arranged. She sits on the bed while I draw a chair to face her.

"I was told you couldn't write the test," I begin and she groans, tilting her head back.

"I went somewhere," She replies.

"Why would you skip the class?" I add in a worried way, acting as if Angela didn't tell me anything.

"I have no choice," She answers.

"Is there anything you are hiding from me?"

She scoffs a little. "Why would you ask me that?"

I clear my throat. Since she doesn't want to disclose about her dad, I have to let her know that I have found out.

"Angela told me about your dad in jail," I say calmly and she scrunches her brows at me in shock.

"Is she crazy?" She reacts as she gets up in anger. I am scared right now.

"It wasn't her fault, l...I compelled her to tell me...when you did not pick up my calls and I was worried," I try hard to defend Angela. She makes a fist as she veers to the window.

I also get up and stand still behind her with some distance between us.

"I thought we are friends," I say calmly. This even makes me wonder if what she said about her mother is true. "Everything I told you about my parents is true,"

"Likewise me," She replies briefly.

"But why did you hide this from me and made me believe that about your mother,"

"I deserve to hide whatever I want to hide and it changes nothing about her,"

"You should have told me then," I insist, rolling my eyes.

"And now you know, you also will run away from me?" She bursts out.

"What!" I exclaim.

"What do you have to do with a girl whose dad is in prison for almost two decades," She retorts and goes back to sit on the bed.

"Why would you say that," I question with a shrug.

"Because that's what my friends always do," She answers and I can see tears welling up in her eyes. I let out a deep sigh. I should have kept to myself.

I sit beside her on the bed with my arm wrapped around her shoulder while she sniffs, trying to hold her tears back but it eventually rolls down her cheek.

I wipe her tears with my thumb.

"I'm sorry for bringing this up," I plead.

" I was bullied for this during high school." She states. "My friends ditched me, and called me names, I dared not talk about my dad when they were talking about theirs. It felt like it was my fault my dad is in jail,"

I let out a sigh, feeling so sorry for her.  She had gone through a lot.

"That's why I hide this from everyone here in college, I can't face that again," She adds.

"Trust me. I'm not them and I will never be like them," I assured and she looks into my eyes which meets my gaze.

"Come here," I add as I request a hug and she hugs me. I hold her tightly and kissed her hair.

"Can we go for a walk?" I suggest, whispering. She nods yes and I release her from the hug.

"I have to freshen up first," I say.

"Sure, you stink," She responds teasingly and I smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 5.8K 27
His face was only inches from mine, but yet it still seemed his confidence was beaming. "You seem to forget that I am the king of getting girls to...
22.5K 3.1K 64
She spun the bottle and it faced Charles. "Truth or Dare?" "Dare." Charles responded. She smirked and dared; "I dare you to kiss Rose." Rose was shoc...
9.5K 339 39
Cameron Black is the school's nice guy. He has the perfect life. The perfect girlfriend, the perfect family. Nothing bad has ever really happened to...
15.1K 4.4K 68
She is beautiful. He is handsome. She is rich and kind. He is wealthy and arrogant. She believes in love and finding her soulmate. He hates love and...