Chaos (Colby Brock)

By heartlessbrock

The world can be a dangerous place with dangerous people. Julia White would soon learn to not trust people so... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122
123
124
125
126
127
128
129
130
131
132
133
134
135
Not a chapter

54

9.7K 160 165
By heartlessbrock

Colby's POV

"What's going on in your head?" Sam asked as I looked around the room, ignoring the food sitting in front of me.

"Trying to figure out what's actually going on here." I mumbled just quiet enough for him to hear.

"He just told us what's going on. We've been tasked on a mission with a huge reward, and like you said...it doesn't seem like we have a choice but to take it." Sam said as I nodded.

"You're right." I said then looked at Jake and Corey. "Impressed by you two idiots." I said then took a bite of food.

"We can behave." Jake said and squinted at me. "Not often enough for me to trust you." I teased as a man walked up to us.

"Mr. Brock. Mr. Quill would like a word with you." He said as I nodded, nudging Sam so he would stand up.

"Just you." The man said as I narrowed my eyes. "I don't go anywhere alone." I said blandly.

The guy stared at me for a moment before looking at Sam. "Only he can come." He said as I nodded.

"Don't pull anything." The guy said with a menacing tone.

"I wouldn't dream of it." I said then looked at Jake and Corey.

"Don't move." I said to them then followed the guy through the crowd with Sam.

He led us through the ballroom then went down a hallway and towards a room at the end of the hall.

"Have fun." The man said then opened the door, gesturing for us to go in. "Here we go." I whispered then walked into the room.

"Ah, Mr. Brock." Alexander said as he stood up from behind a desk.

It seemed like we were in an office of some sort. It was nice as hell though.

To our left was a marble fireplace with a library surrounding it.

Julia would have loved it.

On our right was a continuation of the library and a little table with chairs at it, almost like a conference room.

In the middle of the room was a large desk which Alexander was sitting at.

"Come in, boys." Alexander said as Sam as I walked in.

"I've heard many things about you." Alexander said and folded his hands on the desk while Sam and I sat across from him.

"Likewise." I said and watched him carefully. "Have you put any consideration of my..request?" He asked and raised his brows.

"It's an interesting proposition." I said cautiously. "Can I be honest with you, Mr. Brock?" He asked as I nodded.

"Of course." I said and focused on him. "I brought you here because I see potential in you. You remind me of myself at your age." He said then let his eyes flicker to Sam.

"I had a second in command as loyal as you. We climbed the crime world together and ended up where we are now." He said fondly.

"Enough about me though. I think you should strongly consider taking this job." He said and crossed his arms, leaning back.

"My men are very occupied with another matter. I don't know how much time I can spare for it." I said as he chuckled.

"A busy man." He hummed, leaning back. "What if I told you there was more to the story?" He asked as I raised my brows.

"I'm listening." I said as he chuckled. "It's my gem. Someone stole it from me, probably to gain some sort of traction or power." He said with a bland tone.

"Do you know of anyone who would do that?" He asked and twirled a pen around on his fingers.

"I know of a snake who would be dumb enough to do that, yes." I said with a shrug. "Great. So you're on board and will find it?" He asked and blinked slowly.

I had to think about this.

Sure, it would be a good idea to get in Alexander's good graces, but was it worth the risk?

This man could squash everything I've worked for in a matter of seconds.

He could take everything away from me.

He could take Julia.

God, why did she always pop into my brain? I couldn't think about her right now. I had to think with my head and not my heart.

I could picture her tear filled eyes though.

Ones that I would see when I told her I was putting my life so at risk that I couldn't guarantee her safety.

I could hear her telling me to play it as safe as possible, because she needed me.

I shook my head, trying to clear her from my mind.

Would Tony actually be dumb enough to steal a gem from the Alexander Quill?

Yes.

Yes, he would.

"I need time." I said and looked at Alexander. "Time?" He asked as I nodded.

"I want to give you my best work. There are things I need to sort out before I can commit to this fully." I said as he nodded and watched me carefully.

"We'll be in touch." He said then looked at the door, signaling for us to leave.

Sam and I stood up then left the room.

"Did that go well?" I asked him as he shrugged. "I don't know, I was gonna ask you the same thing." He said as we made our way back to the main ballroom.

"I need to make a phone call. Just..stay with Jake and Corey." I said as he looked at me cautiously.

"I'm fine." I said with a nod then went to step outside.

When I got out there I lit a cigarette then called Nate.

"Hey, boss. How's it going?" He asked as I sighed. "It's going. Can you put me on the phone with Jules?" I asked and closed my eyes.

I didn't know why I was doing this, but I just couldn't help it.

"Uh...she might be in bed but sure." He said as I ran my hand through my hair.

"Thanks." I said then closed my eyes. It took a couple minutes but eventually I heard a sweet sigh.

"Colby?" Julia asked as I sighed with relief. "Hey, sweetheart. Just checking in." I said as she breathed a laugh.

"Yeah? Too much testosterone? You're not used to that anymore." She teased causing me to grin.

"Shut up. I got used to your annoying ass." I said and looked up at the sky to see the stars.

"Mhm. Everything okay? It's kinda weird that you're calling me while at work." She said with a nervousness in her tone.

"Yeah. Everything is fine, sweetheart. Just needed a cigarette and some fresh air. Decided to call." I said and took a puff of my cigarette.

"That's an oxymoron." She said quietly. "What is?" I asked as I let out the smoke in my lungs.

"Fresh air and a cigarette. Those things are really bad for you, ya know?" She asked as I looked at the white cigarette that was pinched between my fingers.

"Yeah, I told you it's a bad habit." I hummed. "You seem off." She said nervously.

"I'm not. I just have to head back inside. You sure you're okay, sweetheart?" I asked, feeling the nicotine calm me a little bit.

"You're scaring me. Is someone else after me? Do I need to go somewhere else?" She asked with so much fear I felt my heart seize slightly.

"No, baby. You're okay right where you are. Sorry for scaring you." I hummed. "I have to go back in now. Let Nate know if you need anything." I said as she sighed.

"Okay. Be careful, Colby. Promise me?" She asked as I closed my eyes. I didn't want to promise her that because I couldn't guarantee that it was true, but I had to.

"I promise. Get some sleep, I'll see you tomorrow night." I said as she hummed. "Okay. Goodnight, Colby." She said quietly.

"Goodnight, sweetheart." I said then hung up. I sighed then grabbed another cigarette, needing it calm myself more.

I wish I had something stronger, but this would have to do for now.

"Everything okay, man?" Corey asked as he came outside. "Yeah, just needed one of these." I said and took a hit.

"I haven't seen you smoke much lately." He said as I nodded. "Usually do it private." I said and looked at the moon.

"You seem stressed." He said as I breathed a laugh. "Yeah, it's not the most comfortable situation but I'll live." I said as he walked closer.

"It's because of Julia isn't it?" He asked as I shook my head. "Why would you assume that?" I asked with an unbothered expression.

"When Dev and I started dating I didn't want to do jobs because I was scared it would get me killed or even worse, get her killed." He said and focused on the moon with me.

"It took a while to break that feeling, but you're great at your job. You keep us all safe while doing the most dangerous work. There's a reason you're at the top." He said and nudged my shoulder.

He had a point, but with Julia it was different.

I had never really been in love. Just once before but it was long before I was a part of the gang.

I didn't have another, much more innocent, life to account for. I always had the guys to protect but they knew what they were getting into.

I always protected their girlfriends, and their friends too.

I needed to be confident and sure with my abilities to protect Julia.

That was the only way this was going to work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 123 23
there's some swearing and stuff ykyk not gonna say anything hope you enjoy it :) trigger warnings will be in the beginning of each chapter!!!⚠️⚠️ 26...
59.7K 1.6K 26
❝ char is going to do the estes method in here, and- ❞ ❝ i'm sorry, char is going to be doing what now? ❞ κ’° πŸ‘» κ’±Ψ˜ ࿐ ΰΏ”*:ο½₯゚ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡... κ’± β†·πŸ–‡ ch...
61.3K 804 21
What happens when you friend drags you to go on a meet and greet with people you don't even watch. Do you end up becoming enemy's or do you make thes...
31.6K 993 16
Colby made a mistake. He lashed out. And now, his best friend was nowhere to be found. One day he gets a little warning that will change the fate of...