The Red Knight - Merlin BBC [...

By The3meraldQueen

[2/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has lived an eventful life, spending most of it as a notorious felon... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Part 1 : The Wolf
Chapter 1: Lady Of Camelot
Chapter 2: The Volts
Chapter 3: Secrets
Chapter 4: On The Road
Chapter 5: Promises Past
Chapter 6: The Hills Have Eyes
Chapter 7: Blood Must Have Blood
Chapter 8: Ronon
Chapter 9: Deal
Chapter 10: Ghosts of the Past
Chapter 11: The Feast
Part 2: The Tournament
Chapter 12: The First Trial
Chapter 13: Choices To Be Made
Chapter 14: Dangerous Waters
Chapter 15: Kohl
Chapter 16: The Rebels
Chapter 17: To Kill a Wolf
Chapter 18: Making Plans
Chapter 19: Let There Be War
Chapter 20: The Second Trial
Chapter 21: This isn't Real
Chapter 22: According to Plan
Part 3 Coming Soon...
Part 3: The Last Trial
Chapter 23: The Blacksmith's Apprentice
Chapter 24: Heart's Desire
Chapter 25: Had I Known Before...
Chapter 26: The Wolf's Fury
Chapter 28: Given 'em Hell
Chapter 29: The Final Trial
Chapter 30: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 31: For Edythe
Chapter 32: Pain
Chapter 33: Small Victories
Chapter 34: Death Is Not The End
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Gold Dragon

Chapter 27: When Heros Fall

119 10 0
By The3meraldQueen

My knees bleed, and my feet are scabbed of flesh, but I pay no mind to the pain, all worry for myself swept away with the man laid dead in the main hall. My mind is absent of any feeling, no fear or pain, just a numbness. My fate is no longer in my own hands, and all I can do is wait for the inevitable end.

I'm locked so far away in my mind I don't even notice that we're in the labyrinth until I hear the cries of the champions. If I hadn't already given into the pain, I now realise that I have condemned all of my friends and will have to watch them suffer. I will only be able to pray to the gods that Leitta leads the rebels on to save them in time.

"Home sweet home", One of the guards mocks with a laugh, dropping me to the dirt ground.

I groan as I hit the hard surface. I don't have to look to know that I'm in Jackson's cell. I know Ronon would have put me next to the knights just for some sick satisfaction before he kills me. My thoughts are confirmed as I hear the shrieks and cries of the knights of Camelot. I don't listen to their words, though, as I lay here.

The tears fall, but I make no sound, accepting my fate. I pray the knights will survive the final trial. I am a lost cause. There's no point in fighting. I'm dead. At least I will join Kohl on the other side...

"Edythe!" Leon's voice demands, his voice the only one I hear over the others.

It gives me enough strength to at least pull myself into a seated position, back still facing them. Their questions of concern rumble through my head, but I don't answer any of them.

"He's dead," I state, my voice nothing but a croak.

"Who?" they all ask in unison.

"K..."I sob, trying to sound his name out. "Kohl...he's gone. He's gone. He's gone."

I repeat the words in a loop, my voice getting softer and softer as the tears begin to stream. The knights and Arthur try to comfort me, but I don't hear them as I continue.

"He's gone."

"Edythe," Leon's voice overbears all the others. "I'm sorry...I know what he was to you...."

Everyone pauses their questions to look at Leon questionably. Even I, with tear-stained cheeks, turn to peer at Leon. Our eyes met for the first time since our conversation earlier, when we admitted feelings for one another. He knew, just as Kohl had known my love for Leon that I also had some affections for Kohl.

It sends a sharp, unbearable pain to think I have condemned Leon to love me. I sentenced Kohl to his death, and now I am also condemning Leon, condemning them all. I'm a sickness that needs to be abolished. It was always me. All of this was Ronon trying to get to me. And he's won.

"H-he was going to get you out, Leon", I sniffle. "All of you...for me."

Leon nods, sadness taking his handsome features. "Kohl did everything he could, and he knew the dangers."

My cell door swings open before anyone can ask what's happening, the guards reappearing with a mangled body between them. I stumble to my feet, not expecting them to return so soon. The air floods from my lungs as I make out the red scarf and leather jacket.

"Melin!" I wail, rushing to the warlock's aid as the guards dump him into the cell. His face is bruised and bloodied, his lips split and bleeding profusely. He grabs onto my arm as I pull him into my lap, cradling him as I observe over his flesh for any more wounds. I find him bruised everywhere, with a few cuts over his slim body. 

"I'm so sorry, Merlin," I sob, knowing this was my doing. He couldn't even fight back because I told him not to use his magic.

"I'm fine," Merlin coughs.

"We also have a present for you, Edythe", Blaze's voice sings.

I peer up to find Blaze in the cell door, leant casually as he smiles down at us. I watch as they drag yet another mangled body into the cell. A shriek in horror erupts through my throat, the vile coming up as I retreat into the cell.

Kohl's body is placed in the corner of the cell; his lifeless face turned toward Merlin and me. I heave, leaving Merlin as I release my stomach into a bucket in the corner of the room by the open bars into the knight's cells.

"Enjoy!" Blaze chuckles, turning to exit the cell. "I'll enjoy watching what Ronon's going to do to you."

The cell door clicks shut.

I continue to vomit everything I have, sobs wracking through my body, the tears falling in amongst my sickness in the bucket. A hand gently soothes my back through the bars. I glance back to Leon leaning through the bars to try and comfort me. His affections only force more tears and more vomit to leave my system. 

"Merlin? Merlin, you okay?" Arthur yells, trying to reach his servant through the bars but to no avail.

"I-I'm fine", Merlin hisses, pulling himself to his feet, hand cradling one of his ribs. "I totally enjoy being kicked by ten men all at once. I'm going to make this my everyday practice," he jokes, wincing as he tries to join the group by the bars.

"I'm going to kill them", Gwaine growls, pacing the cell as he can't stay still in his rage.

"I-I'm so s-sorry, Merlin", I apologise, resting my head on the bowl, unable to lookup out of fear of seeing Kohl's lifeless face. "This is all my fault", I sob, bursting into tears again. Leon continues to rub my back consolingly.   

"This is sick", Percival states. I don't have to look to know all their eyes are on Kohl.

"Here, Merlin", Elyan offers. I glance in their direction to see him handing the servant a blanket. "Cover him. He deserves to rest."

Merlin's feet shuffle over to Kohl, presumably placing the blanket over him. It's only when Merlin speaks do I lift my head.

"Edythe, don't apologise. You were only trying to get us out of here," Merlin offers, joining me on the floor by the bars. "Kohl knew what he was doing. I knew what we were doing. We all did. It's not your fault."

"But-"

"It's not your fault", Merlin repeats sternly.

"God, how could I be so stupid?" I hiss, wrapping my arms around my head, pulling at my hair. "Who was I to think I could work behind Ronon's back. I should have never let you guys come here. I should never have told you, Arthur, about this place. I should have stopped Tyrant. Oh, Tyrant," I begin to croak again. "Everyone's dying on me. And it's all because of me."

"Stop this right now, Edythe", Arthur commands, his hands embracing me through bars as best he can. "Hope is not lost."

"Yes, it is."

"No-"

"For you, it's not, but for us-" I gesture between Merlin and me. "We're screwed. Like royally. I'm so sorry for that, Merlin. At least you all have a chance, Ronon may be a cruel bastard, but at least he is a man of his word. It promises any competitor freedom if they win the red tournament. You still have that chance."

"We're not giving up on you or Merlin", Percival assures.

"We would rather die than leave you here", Elyan adds.

I remain in my fetal position, shaking my head in defiance. Why do they have to be so stubborn? Why can't they accept that I am already gone? I have. I knew this could happen, and I did it willingly, hoping that my sacrifice would save my friends. I only hope that all goes to plan and they may be saved.

"Look after yourselves", Merlin requests, "focus on the tournament. Edythe and I will find our own way."

I hear more arguing, but none of their words reach my ears. My vision becomes distant, all of my senses failing me. I slip out of thought and time, leaving behind the worries of the world as I get lost in my own head. One last part of my mind is shielding me from the horrors of reality. I welcome it with open arms, silently weeping as I stare blankly back at the stone wall.

Third Person P.O.V.

"How did it come to this?" Arthur whispers in the dark, eyes watching his sleeping sister.

Her puffy eyes are sealed shut, but there is no rest behind them. Her blue orbs roll behind the closed lids in a hurry, her chest rising and falling in a panic. Yet Arthur does not attempt to wake her in fear she will cry and become inconsolable again. She had shut down, wholly absent and nothing but a vessel. No words of comfort pulled her from her trance. Not even Merlin shaking her could wake Edythe from her own mind.

Arthur has never seen his sister so helpless. Even when she was captured and taken before Olaf, she had been defeated, but not like this. Ronon has officially broken her, and Kohl's death is what pushed her over the edge. It tears at Arthur's soul, knowing he can do nothing to ease her suffering.

In the weeks that had passed, Arthur had kept fighting because it was what Edythe wanted him to do. He kept fighting to get home to Camelot. To bring them all home. He would not leave any of the knights, Merlin or Edythe, behind. It is for them that he will keep fighting. 

Arthur's eyes scan across his cell. Percival, Gwaine and Elyan are fast asleep, preparing for the morning. Gwaine's bruises have begun to yellow, healing despite the constant fight. The knights weaken with every passing day, and Arthur prays they have enough strength to last one more day.

"I can't answer that", Leon replies; the knight sat beside Arthur. Despite the dark circles under his eyes, Leon cannot find rest. Not after the day he had.

For but a moment, Leon felt like he had everything. He paid no mind to what was happening because Edythe was there. He couldn't remember when he had fallen for Edythe, and perhaps it was an attraction that had always been there.

When they first met, it had been under grave circumstances, Leon thinking Edythe the enemy, an assassin sent to kill his King. Yet even then, Edythe was a fascination that none of the knights could shake.

After the few years they had known Edythe, Leon had watched from afar, not wanting to pursue her when she was like no other lady of the court. Leon didn't think an intimate relationship was something Edythe ever wanted. And even if she did, Leon somehow saw it being with Gwaine, the two being so close.

Yet it was Gwaine who constantly nagged at Leon to make a move. He would make it near impossible some days, nearly blatantly saying it aloud in front of everyone. But Leon still said nothing. Even when he would tease her and compliment her, Leon respected that she may not want it. Leon always gave Edythe a choice, as he would in that too. So he said nothing.

But all of that has changed. Edythe has made her feelings clear, the revelation igniting a new spark to fight. Even more so now that he sees her lying on the hard stone floor, broken down and lost in her sorrows, it adds wood to the flame, the anger burning inside Leon as he watches Edythe in her restless sleep, clothes torn and feet bare, cheeks stained with dry tears.

"The rebels attack tomorrow", Arthur recalls, eyes fixed on his sister. "We best be ready for when they do."

"Do you think he'll target us in the arena?" Leon thinks aloud. "Ronon, I mean."

Arthur sighs, drawing his hands to rub his tired eyes. "I have no doubt Ronon will have something special cooked up for us, Leon."

Leon hums in agreeance, picking at the grime and dry blood on his hands. He, like the others, has grown tired of feeling dry because of it. Like they are covered in an eternal strain that will not be washed away. The blood of the young boy Ronon tricked Leon into murdering.

Arthur watches the anger and loathing wash over Leon's face, the glimmering vengeance growing more prominent in his eye. Arthur understands, wanting nothing more than to make Ronon suffer for all he has done. Especially for what he has done to Edythe. But he knows what revenge can do to a person. He has seen it, he has felt it, lived it. Arthur will die before he sees his men fall prey to the same demon he has succumbed to, as has many before him.

"In that arena tomorrow, Leon–" Arthur begins, choosing his words carefully. "Remember what you stand for."

Leon glances up at his King through his light curls, eyebrow raised in question. "Of course."

Arthur nods, unconvinced but glad Leon had vowed it out loud. Leon is known for keeping his word, and Arthur hopes he will remain by it. "Good", Arthur chimes, giving his sister one last glance before declaring, "We should get some rest."

"Hm," Leon hums, seemingly lost in thought. He pays no mind to Arthur as his King lays down to rest for the remainder of the night. All that he cares about for the moment is the young woman before him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.8K 1.2K 38
[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belonging. Laws are punishable by death, magic...
6.6K 321 6
Juliana has been Prince Arthur's healer for over a year, when her brother Merlin comes to join her in Camelot. After learning that it is the siblings...
69.1K 2.3K 5
Sometimes, people from your past will show up again in your present and try to mess with your future. A bully from Merlin's past shows up in Camelot...
369 9 3
Merlin and Arthur got married, just as they always wanted. But war had struck Camelot, taking the life of its beloved King Arthur. Merlin is left to...