The Red Knight - Merlin BBC [...

By The3meraldQueen

[2/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has lived an eventful life, spending most of it as a notorious felon... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Part 1 : The Wolf
Chapter 1: Lady Of Camelot
Chapter 2: The Volts
Chapter 3: Secrets
Chapter 4: On The Road
Chapter 5: Promises Past
Chapter 6: The Hills Have Eyes
Chapter 7: Blood Must Have Blood
Chapter 8: Ronon
Chapter 9: Deal
Chapter 10: Ghosts of the Past
Chapter 11: The Feast
Part 2: The Tournament
Chapter 12: The First Trial
Chapter 13: Choices To Be Made
Chapter 14: Dangerous Waters
Chapter 15: Kohl
Chapter 16: The Rebels
Chapter 17: To Kill a Wolf
Chapter 18: Making Plans
Chapter 19: Let There Be War
Chapter 20: The Second Trial
Chapter 21: This isn't Real
Part 3 Coming Soon...
Part 3: The Last Trial
Chapter 23: The Blacksmith's Apprentice
Chapter 24: Heart's Desire
Chapter 25: Had I Known Before...
Chapter 26: The Wolf's Fury
Chapter 27: When Heros Fall
Chapter 28: Given 'em Hell
Chapter 29: The Final Trial
Chapter 30: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 31: For Edythe
Chapter 32: Pain
Chapter 33: Small Victories
Chapter 34: Death Is Not The End
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Gold Dragon

Chapter 22: According to Plan

130 11 2
By The3meraldQueen

Edythe's P.O.V.

On the outside, I look calm, but inside, my heart is about to leap out of my chest and run away screaming. My stomach turns and pulls so much I fear I may vomit. No news has come about what is occurring under us in the catacombs. Many remaining family members have turned to me, but I have not been able to answer.

Not one champion has emerged from within the labyrinth, only fuelling the anxiety clawing at my insides. Ronon's magic shouldn't be as focused on the trial anymore, now turned on Merlin's in the catacombs. I pray to the gods that Aro is in chains and not Merlin.

The crowd gasps and begins to cheer, forcing my gaze from the distance to the door below. A champion emerges, his clothing dishevelled and blood seeping through his clothes. I don't think it is his own. A look of pure horror fixes on his pale face, the champion realising that he is the first and only one to have made it out so far.

A glimmer of chainmail catches my eye, my legs almost thrusting me to my feet as I see the tall giant knight of Camelot. I feel some pause knowing that Percival is okay. The knight heaves for breath, his sword long lost and forgotten as his empty hands try to steady his chest. Percival looks around a face of horror in finding that none of his friends has emerged. His eyes meet mine.

Percival looks up to me as if pleading with me to reassure him, but all I can do is shake my head. No, the others haven't emerged yet. Shattered pain washes over Percival's face. He wishes he was still in there, that he had found any of the others, or at least his king.

More champions emerge though they are few in number. With every champion, I grow more ill. Every passing minute tears are my soul.

Elyan emerges first, bringing me to breathe out in relief. Then Arthur comes into view, and a wave of dizziness comes over me. My brother is safe, my best friend's brother and my friend are safe. Three of five accounted for. Percival embraces Elyan and locks his arms with Arthur, relief finally coming to him knowing that his king is safe.

Arthur looks up to me and offers a weak smile. I offer one back, nervously looking back toward the door. Arthur looks back also before giving me a nod in agreement. There are still two unaccounted knights, both extremely dear to me—my two closest friends. I pray to see Gwaine's mischievous grin again, to feel the warm embrace of Leon's voice.

More champions emerge, which comes to a count of 13 remaining champions—less than a quarter of what was at the start of the first trial. More guards disappear from their stations, reminding me of another battle going on elsewhere.

Time passes, and no more champions emerge, time ticking away. The end of five hours seems to approach quickly, the sun beginning to veer downward towards dusk. I begin to lose hope, especially as one of Ronon's advisers whispers to me. "Ronon is attending to business and apologises for missing out on the second trial. He requests that you conduct the closing ceremony."

I nod to the adviser. "Of course. Thank you."

As I make to stand before the audience, a loud gasp sweeps throughout the arena. My breath hitches, and my heart stops for a moment. Cheers of excitement burst throughout the arena as the fifth-hour strikes. Gwaine and Leon emerge from the doorway, Leon holding Gwaine up as they exit. I feel the need to run down to them but stop myself.

Pure joy washes over me, a smile planting on my face as I see them alive and safe. Even if they both appear to be injured, they are alive, and that's what matters.

"Well, wasn't that just riveting?" I call out the crowd, now standing at the apex of the box in front of Ronon's throne. The crowd cheers back to me in excitement, a few of the wealthier men grumbling as they exchange their money from losing bets.

Arthur and the others join Gwaine and Leon in relief, Percival taking Gwaine's weight off Leon as they both look exhausted. All the knights look up to me in confusion. It's weird having a whole crowd looking up at me, but I somehow find myself confident, a smirk on my lips.

"The Wolf apologises for his absence. He has asked me to congratulate our remaining champions!" the crowd cheers. I wave them down to quiet. "And bids them all good luck in the final tournament. May the strength and cunning you have shown today guide you in the challenge to come."

As the crowd cheers and raises drinks in celebration, I catch sight of Merlin in the crowd. A smile is planted on his lips, the warlock giving me a nod in an indication that everything went according to plan. I feel my chest swell with glee.

***

I can't help the confident grin that takes my lips as I look down at Aro. He has been stripped of any dignity that he's ever had, the leather attire ripped off of his body to nothing but his undershirt and pants. He stands barefoot, blood seeping out of wounds inflicted by Ronon and others. I know a part of me should be sorry for what will happen to him, but I really don't, having lived in fear of him long enough.

Aro's hazel eyes bare into me, clearly seeing through my deceit and lies. But standing beside Ronon on his throne, nothing he can say or do will change what has been done. Ronon will not forgive nor forget, and I'm his most trusted friend right now.

Ronon fumes, the flames almost rising off of his shoulders as his golden orbs burn through Aro. I almost think Aro could catch alight under his gaze. Blaze also looks like he's pulsing with anger, a hint of betrayal in his eye as he stares down on Aro. A range of emotions is across the room, some with sympathy and others with anger.

"I always knew you felt you were beyond my rules", Ronon thinks aloud, his hands tightening on the arms of his thrones. The wood groans under the pressure. "I just never thought you'd actually act on that."

"Sire, I swear-"

"Go on", Ronon cuts Aro off, his face stern. "Swear to your God. Beg him for my mercy."

Aro goes silent as the dead, chest heaving as he looks back up at Ronon with a hatred I didn't think possible.

"If not to him, then swear to me," Ronon hisses. "Please, I would love to hear what lies you have prepared to get you out of this one. You are renowned for your lies."

It doesn't always pay to be known as something like a liar. I smirk to myself.

"I swear to The Wolf", Aro sneers. "I am not working with the rebels. I have no idea how those corpses were raised. And I had no idea you even had the stone of resurrection."

I raise my eyebrow at this. I've never heard it be referred to as the stone of resurrection.

"I don't believe you", Ronon retorts matter of factly, the wood groaning under his grip. A tenseness falls over the room. No one dares to breathe in Ronon's presence.

"It was her", Aro hisses, shackled bloody wrists rising to point a broken finger at me. "Edythe. And that servant."

I muster a face of shock, Ronon's gaze not even glancing in my direction as he glares at Aro. Blaze does offer a look of suspicion in my direction, however. I chuckle wickedly. "On what grounds did you come to that conclusion?"

"You have it in with those knights! I don't know why or what for, but I know it."

"ENOUGH!" Ronon roars, everyone, including myself, bowing our heads to the Wolf as he leaps to his feet, some family members even retreating a few steps. "I will hear no more of your lies. You have always been a pain in my arse. Always scheming, weaving plans. You went after the stone once before. I have no doubt you would do it again!"

"That's why you brought in that blacksmith's boy, isn't it?" Ronon rants, pointing an accusing finger at Aro. I feel my breath catch in my throat. "You brought that boy in here so that he could escape and steal that stone at the proper moment...didn't you?"

Kohl and I lock eyes, the two of us in shock. We had no idea that Aro was the one who brought Jackson here. That played to our plans perfectly. I don't know how but someone must be on our side, the gods or something else. I do not care.

"No! I would never-"

Ronon raises his hand, Aro dropping to the ground in a blink of an eye. He begins to thrash around on the floor, his hazel eyes rolling into the back of his head as Ronon puts him through unimaginable agony. Blood pools out of his eye sockets and nose, ears and mouth. Ronon drops his hand harshly, the pain abruptly ceasing for Aro as he lay motionless on the floor, only the heaving of his chest declaring that he is alive.

"Take this filth to the pit. I think I have a better use for him. I'll deal with him later," Ronon orders, dismissing the guards as they drag Aro from the room, an absence in the once smug man's eyes.

"What are we going to do about the boy, sire?" I ask Ronon as he takes a seat on his throne.

Ronon looks up at me with thought, seeming worlds away in his head as he glances up at me. I try to hold his gaze, not looking away as I wait for him to answer. A few thoughts cross Ronon's eyes, the Wolf quickly looking away with lips pressed.

"We will set up patrols in the surrounding woods. I don't want anyone coming or going without me knowing it. We will question the other champions. They might know something. The boy may have said something. And send word to our allies," Ronon lists, eyes stuck on the wall in the distance.

"Just decision, my lord."

"Hm," Ronon responds in thought, his eyes flickering towards Kohl. "You are all dismissed! I want to speak with Blaze alone."  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.2K 1.7K 12
The battle of Camlann took many lives, including the Queen of Camelot. As everyone trying getting their lives back to normal, The Knights Of The Roun...
39.5K 1.2K 38
[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belonging. Laws are punishable by death, magic...
251 15 6
He does not remember the feeling of panic rising in his throat at the thought that he would not be discovered before he became nothing more than a de...
174K 6.1K 12
Merlin has been having nightmares brought on by his traumatic past. Arthur and the rest of the Knights of Camelot notice that something is amiss and...