Trial & Error

By KYNDIOR

Four beautiful African American best friends navigate their own trial and error through modern day society. More

Trial and Error
1 | Jade
2 | Caren
3 | Joie
4 | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
30 | Jade
31 | Caren
32 | Joie
33 | Andi
34 | Jade
35 | Caren
36 | Joie
37 | Andi
38 | Jade
39 | Caren
40 | Joie
41 | Andi
42 | Jade
43 | Caren
44 | Joie
45 | Andi
46 | Jade
47 | Caren
48 | Joie
49 | Andi
50 | Jade
51 | Caren
52 | Joie
53 | Andi
II | Jade
II | Caren
II | Joie
II | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
29 | Jade
30 | Caren
31 | Joie
32 | Andi
33 | Jade
34 | Caren
36 | Andi
37 | Jade
38 | Caren
39 | Joie
40 | Andi
41 | Jade
42 | Caren
43 | Joie
44 | Andi
45 | Jade
46 | Caren
47 | Joie
48 | Andi
Epilogue
๐“&๐„-๐ˆ๐ˆ

35 | Joie

1.7K 261 69
By KYNDIOR

"We gotta talk," Came out my mouth as soon as the door of the blue diesel opened. I stood outside with my arms crossed at the truck stop I found Joel. The sight of me makes him let his head fall and heavy sigh come out of his mouth. Joel hopped out without a word, closing the door, and walking away. I followed him quickly. "Joel!"

"No," he said.

"No?"

"No, to this conversation." Joel said dryly.

"Joel this is serious," I got in front of him, blocking his path. "I have been calling and texting you nonstop about this shit. Aqua is trying to take Gunner and Misty from me. I need you to be a witness for me. Let them know they're better with me—Why are you shaking your head?"

"Because the answer's no," he responded. "I'm not getting in the middle of you and Aqua's pissing match. I told her no and the same goes for you. Now, if you don't mind, I have to get some gas and food."

"But they are better with me and you know it," I followed him and he groaned loudly as we entered the store. "Aqua can't fucking raise them. If I don't have your support Joel, they will take them from me because biologically I'm not kin to them. Aqua shares blood. Do you understand that? If you tell the courts that I'm the best option—"

"What'd I say, Joie?" Joel approached the hot food, "I'm not doing it. Let it go."

"Let it go?" I repeated and scoffed, "I'm not you or Tanika. I don't let shit go when it involves what's important to me. Gunner and Misty are important to me. I don't ever ask you for shit—"

"You're asking now," Joel interrupted as he dressed his hot dogs.

"Because it's fucking important," I forced Joel to stare at me with a snatch of his shoulder. "Can't you tell? I'm coming here practically begging you for this. I'm the best option for them, and have been for the longest."

"Aqua has raised them just as much as you."

"No. Aqua has left them alone and Misty was molested while you were fucking high!" I whispered harshly as I stepped in his face, "And whose to say that's the first damn time it's happened? How about I reveal to the courts that information?"

Joel smirked. "Do it," he shrugged, "You're no snitch Jojo."

He's right. "God!" I groaned, "Can't you just be a father for once and do what's right for your kids?"

"I am. By staying out of you and Aqua's situation. My answer's no. And that's final. Don't ask me anymore."

I wanted to punch him, but instead, I smacked the food out of his hand. "Ass," I stepped over the mess and walked out of his face.

Joel snickered behind me. "Love you, too, Joie."

I flipped him off, leaving the store, and into my Porsche. I let out a sharp breath. "Damn it."

The drive to JNC was a bit of a distance and when I arrived in my office there was an unexpected visitor. By the pricey heel on the tapping foot that was only one person.

"Goldie," I call as I went in and closed the door behind me. "You're here. Uninvited. Again. Is this gonna be a regular occurrence?"

"Young girl found dead," her smooth tone read. "Victim identified as Fiona fucking Perry."

Her brown eyes were stern on me, while I walked around my desk to look at her. Despite Goldie's angry expression, she was very gorgeous and dressed pricey and nicely as she does best. Seeing her mad always turned me on. But this wasn't the time.

Goldie actually held a newspaper, slapping it on my desk. "You should have a seat," she gestured to the chair behind me that I planted a seat in and her eyes never left mine. "Do you know how much money I put behind your friends program?"

I shrugged, "I'm sure you're gonna tell me."

"Well, that would be the purpose," Goldie retorted. "Nearly a million dollars I put behind a friend you called me to sit down with and help. A friend you told me to trust in."

"That I did—"

"I'm not done," She cut in quickly with her naturally demanding personality coming out. I zipped my lips so she could finish. "I gave her my help because of you. Now one prostitutes dead and your friend is dodging my calls and Kinsey haven't seen her. I feel like I've been hustled." She laughed, "I don't enjoy the feeling of being hustled. You know that about me."

"You're not being hustled Golden," I let out a breath. "You believed in that program just as much as she did. You knew the risk."

"Yeah, but your friend ignoring me is a problem."

"She just lost the person that would've helped her program that she seriously believed in. Not about the money." I rolled my eyes, "Give her a fucking break."

Goldie looked at me in silence, then raised to her feet and it gave me a better view of her body in the white, cape-sleeve belted crepe jumpsuit as she came around to where I sat. Personal space wasn't her strong suit because she planted a seat on top of the desk beside me and her thick thigh pressed on my arm. Delicately, her soft hand took a hold of my chin and made me connect eyes with her.

She had that smile. The one she placed on her mouth when she wanted to go off but kept her cool.

"You are such the protector, aren't you?" She fell silent for a second before she continued, "You want me to give her a break? Okay. A break will be given. Just tell her to reach out to me as of today. Or I'll just find her. And you know that's not hard to do."

"I'll tell her."

Goldie released my chin and folded her arms under her breasts. "You seem like a lots on your mind. Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really," I said. "But I do have a question."

"Shoot."

"That PI, are you still in contact with him?" I asked.

"I am." I could tell she wanted to question why I asked, but instead she says, "He'll be touch by the end of the day. I'll be expecting a call from your friend Jo."

"Andi," I said as she headed for the door. "Her name's Andi."

My eyes were on her ass as she sashayed out of my office. I shot a quick text to Andi and if my day couldn't get worse a call from my custody attorney popped up on my screen.

Any time she called it was bad news. I had to mentally prepare myself before I answered. "Hey, Cora. Doubt this is good news."

"Sorry," Cora sighed. "He still feels Gunner and Misty are best in a married household. He also feels it's a plus that she shares a father with the children. That's why I told you having their father on your side would higher your chances of getting them."

"Yeah, well, that's out the window. He's not doing it for me or her." Placing the call on speaker, I sat down my phone to stressfully run my fingers through my hair. "I have a successful business. I help troubled teens for christ fucking sake! You're telling me that the only reason this bullshit ass judge isn't budging in my direction is because I don't share a father with them? They are my brother and sister. If the dickwad would look he will see that Joel's legally on my damn paperwork. She's still young. How the hell she gone raise two kids? She's not working either."

"Well, as of today her attorney sent in documents showing that she indeed does work. She has her own business. Her husband as well."

I scoffed and shook my head. "Of-fucking-course."

"Let me talk to the judge, again. If you have anything I can use against her, now's the time. Maybe consider allowing the kids to talk. That can really help your case a whole lot."

One thing I didn't want to do is put Gunner and Misty in the middle. "Just call once you talk to him."

I hung up with Cora, and if things couldn't get anymore stressful there goes more bad news.

I closed JNC along with my assistant Deb tonight. Our cars were parked beside each other and Deb was the first to pull off. I started to climb inside when I heard,

"Been a while, Joie."

I recognized the voice, turning around to the medium hue male approaching me with round eyeglasses. We both smiled at each other and hugged quickly. "Nick," I pulled back and looked him over. "You didn't age a bit."

"Eh," he chuckled as we separated. "Goldie told me you needed me. I dropped everything and came."

"Thank you, Nick."

"For you, anything. Who am I looking into?"

"Not looking into. Technically. Helping me find someone and if anybody can find someone that's good at going missing, you can. I need you to find my mother. You were the only one that could find her. No matter where she ran to. Even if it was just to tell me she's alive."

Nick nodded, "is that all you need? To know she alive?"

"I know she's alive," I stated confidently. "I just need an address. You know all of her aliases."

"I got you. This between us?"

"Yeah. No one needs to know. Not even Golden."

"Between us," he promised.

"Thanks a lot for this." I tossed my purse in the car, taking my eyes getting off him for a second. "You always com..." I paused when I seen he wasn't standing there anymore. I chuckled because he was always good at disappearing and staying hidden.

I was nearly home when I received a call from Gunner telling me that he was at the laundromat. With, what they call him, Uncle Kyan. I was quick to detour because not once did I tell Kut to pick up my siblings.

I made it to the laundromat within minutes and hopped out immediately. I rushed in, not focusing on the progress the construction made. My focus was my brother and sister. I could overhear their giggles and started that way to take them home.

"They chillin'," the voice made me stop and pivot on my heels. Kut was approaching me dressed nicely and softly. "You look nice."

I stopped in front of him quickly. "Don't ever do that shit again."

"Relax, mami," His tone pissed me off. "I'd never hurt them. Heidi love em. Check out yo business. You see the progress the laundromat made."

Kut motioned around and I actually took the time to stare updates around the laundromat. The washer and dryers were up and covered. The floor were finished, paint done. It was ready for open whenever he decided.

"Looks ready for open."

"Soon. Very soon." He mentioned, eyeing me. "Custody battle going straight?"

"Joel wouldn't do it, so no." I sighed frustratedly, "Surprised you don't know. That's your sister in-law."

"Ain't my business," he shrugged. "That's yo sister. Ion' get why it came to dis anyway."

"Just Aqua being.. Aqua."

"Hmm," His eyes never left me. "Let's go out to dinner or som? We ain't gotta go today. Next week?"

"I'm not getting back with you Kyan." I said.

"You ain't got to. Two old friends, having a nice dinner. How bout it?" he asked.

"I don't know.. I got too much on my mind."

"Bo," he called me the nickname, staring at me softly. "Let me take yo mind off it. Off everything."

His softness was making me lower my guard.

Gratefully the kids ran up and pulled our long stare off each other and to them. "Y'all ready to go?"

"We had a lot fun, Uncle Ky," Gunner said.

"Yeah. Can we do it tomorrow, Uncle Ky?" Misty asked staring up at Kut, with pleading eyes.

"If it's all right wit Joie." Kut and the kids eyed me.

The bond Gunner and Misty developed with Kut that fast was unexpected, but not unbelievable. He was great with kids, had that softness and it was something they both yearned for with Joel being there, but absent.

Kut had became a father figure for two white kids he just met.

It was good for Gunner and Misty to have. But that placed me in a position I worked so hard to get out of. The hold of Kyan Crawford.

The pleading in their eyes made me say, "Sure. It's okay with me."

Gunner and Misty were excited instantly. "Yes! See you tomorrow Heidi and Uncle Ky!"

They hugged Kut and Heidi before racing out to my car.

"Cena? Qué dices?"

He questioned me about dinner once more as I followed my brother and sister. "Let me.. think about it?"

Kut nodded and winked at me. Leaving the laundromat, I drove straight home and the car parked in front of my house confused me.

We got out and I handed the key over to Gunner, "Y'all go inside."

The door of the dark car opened and a man hopped out. "Who's that?"

The sight of the man told me he wasn't some regular guy. His attire read federal agent.

"Go inside. Now."

They complied for me as the Black man approached. "Joie Smith?"

I frowned. "Whose asking?"

"Douglas. Douglas Harris."

The fed Aqua's involved with. "Don't know you."

I walked away to the door just for him to follow. "Can I ask you a few questions?"

"Don't step on my porch," I said before his foot could plant there. He raised his hands and took a step backward. "Ask me what?"

"Just some questions about Taveus Benson and Kyan Crawford. They go by Bread and Kut?" He flashed his federal badge, "You know them?"

"Nope. Bye."

"Shocking. Since I was informed you were his girlfriend until 2011 when he was arrested. Am I right?"

"I don't know them. And I'm done talking." I went inside and start to shut the door but his hand stopped it. "You should really move."

"I know for a fact you're lying Joie," He was confident in that with a smirk on his mouth. "You do realize you will go down for his business if you're involved. You know how much time that is. Think about those kids in there. Your brother and sister?"

I stayed silent and slammed the door in his face despite his hand being there and I locked it.

"My cards in your mailbox when you're ready to talk," he said from the porch. "I don't want to see a beautiful woman like you go down for some man. We'll protect you."

His footsteps receded and soon I heard his vehicle pull off.

"Are you in trouble?" Gunner's question made me turn around and he eyed me in concern.

I forced a smile. "No baby. I'm fine. Go take your shower. School in the morning. Come on."

Did Aqua stoop so low to send the feds my way?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    I can't remember exactly which one of my loyal followers told me about doing a book on Kut and Joie and how they met (if you remember, pls let me know so I can dedicate it to you), but after much thought, I will be doing a prequel on how Kut and Joie met 💃🏾 I plan to explore each of their lives; childhood to adulthood. The plan is to finish this book then do the prequel. So be on the lookout for that 🤎✨

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40 9 13
Three friends and the story of their friendship, the challenges, feelings and loss that all come along with life.
1.3K 79 36
Drama, love, heartbreak, friendship. Soon, things will change for the group of friends! Will everyone be able to get through the worst of times? See...
16 0 14
Stories about other M.U High characters.
14.8K 352 17
๐ŸŽก๐– ต ๐™๐™„๐™‰๐™„ ๐˜ผ๐™ ๐“„น แฌ two best friends, turned loves, turned exes, turned strictly best friends, fall for each other all over again. ** ๐™Ž๐™๐˜ผ๐™...