Blood Emperor's Lazy Doctor [...

By MyKataren

Hong Luo was an abused child who died soaking in the rain for days in her first life. Her second life she bec... More

Announcement
Chapter 01: The Unyielding Mozen, a World Bearing Death
Chapter 01: The Unyielding Mozen, a World Bearing Death (2)
Chapter 01: The Unyielding Mozen, a World Bearing Death (3)
Chapter 01: The Unyielding Mozen, a World Bearing Death (4)
Chapter 02: Disorienting Fever, Impatient Man (1)
Chapter 02: Disorienting Fever, Impatient Man (2)
Chapter 02: Disorienting Fever, Impatient Man (3)
Chapter 03: Forest Full of Memories
Chapter 04: Nahele of the Forest
Chapter 05: Home (I)
Chapter 05: Home (II)
Chapter 06: Fig Branch Lost in a Dream (I)
Chapter 06: Fig Branch Lost in a Dream (II)
Chapter 06: Fig Branch Lost in a Dream (III)
Chapter 07: A Timely Delay, Hong Manor Twins (I)
Chapter 07: A Timely Delay, Hong Manor Twins (II)
Chapter 07: A Timely Delay, Hong Manor Twins (III)
Chapter 08: Naoyu
Chapter 09: Awake
Chapter 09: Awake (II)
Chapter 10: A Web of Truths and Lies (I)
Chapter 10: A Web of Truths and Lies (II)
Chapter 10: A Web of Truths and Lies (III)
Chapter 11: Calm Before the Storm (I)
Chapter 11: Calm Before the Storm (II)
Chapter 11: Calm Before the Storm (III)

Chapter 05: Home (III)

182 6 0
By MyKataren

The difference between cold and humid, to hot and dry, rushes Halona's face. She squints, surveying the room once before walking inside. Achak looks back, pulling Halona to him.

The once large room felt small. One large man leans at the edge of the bed board, taking up so much room between him and the adjoining room, that the space felt suffocatingly small. Another man, not quite as girthy in width, but instead very tall and intimidating stood a few steps to the left of the heater, an invisible circle around him, silently scaring away any who would dare to approach. And lastly a stocky woman, perfectly balanced between muscle and fat, her stoic beauty competing with ease, those two men barely able to reach her glow of authority glimmering off her, stood between the two with both arms crossed.

Istaqa sneers out a laugh.

"Kid, did you pick up a husband from some random ditch? Although I approve of such forthrightness, I think—–he may be a tad bit too old for you. But if you want him, don't worry, uncle Istaqa will- vyouch!" Istaqa clasps his sore head, pushes off the head board, and glares at his aggressor. "Halona you- you hitting me has got to stop!"

"If you learn to filter your words before letting them leave your mouth then perhaps I might no longer need to hit you. —–Luo'er is not of your Mashkosi so don't push your brash customs onto her, you hear me?" Halona challenges his glare, daring him to retort.

As expected he kept his mouth shut, clicks his tongue repeatedly, and scratching his head with a huff. "You're lucky you're family," he growls under his breath.

Halona just snorts, then walks over to the bed. "Luo'er?" She calls out softly. When Hong Luo reluctantly looks away and up at her, Halona sits down and pulls the pitiful looking child into her embrace. "You've just returned, exhausted and worn, and still you want to care for another when you yourself are also in need? Have you forgotten the first lesson all healers of the Nahele learn?"

When she paused and shook her head, Halona raised a brow, but patently caressed her matted hair, tilting that boney chin up. "Oh? You remember and yet you still dare to continue? 'Only under extreme circumstances are healers allowed to operate in distress. If another healer is available, you are to request assistance for both yourself and the patient.' That is the first lesson we teach, to avoid two deaths instead of one, to put a stop to the same tragedy that wiped out a hundred healers in a single day from happening again." Seeing that stubborn and unmovable face she signs." ——–This man shows no signs of dying yet the healer, yourself, on the other hand looks to be one foot in the grave."

Hong Luo's small body jolts then trembles, she opens her lips, mouthing the words, 'I'm not that bad' right out of Halona's sight. But she didn't need to see it to know that's what she was thinking. Halona knew Hong Luo too well after all, watching her grow since the day she was formed in her mother's belly.

"Luo'er, we are only one stone toss away from here and you know that. The tribe does lack healers." Then two old faces pop in her head pushing out a chuckle, "and even if by some miracle it did, that old bickering couple in Iolanthe are even closer by. Those two would never turn down their little apprentice that they love enough to kidnap under the eyes of her parents. If they aren't fighting with each other, they're fighting over you. Competing endlessly. Head aching anyone in arms reach. Truly childish and never will they grow up."

Hong Luo laughs in remembrance, which in turn results in a cheek tug from Halona. "There's that smile I was looking for, I was wondering where it went, it was just hiding from me, being a sneaky little rat burrowing inside that crazy hair of yours."

After tickling her pitiful little girl into a mess of laughter, did Halona stand up with her in her arms, those legs wrapped around her waist, those arms curling her neck. Soothing pats rub into her back, making her doze off little by little.

Vaguely Hong Luo heard Halona order, "One of you be useful and pick him up."

A chortle and a grumble later, a click sounded when the heater was turned off. Looking over Halona's shoulder she watches Istaqa put away the clanky contraption and Achak shrug her patient to his back. With a bang floorboards were stomped back in place. With an 'oof' her patient secured.

Uncle Istaqa laughs, pointing his finger and speaks to Uncle Achak in a condescending manner. She couldn't hear what he said but whatever it was didn't bother Uncle Achak, he rolled his eyes, walking ahead of the chuckling Uncle Istaqa.

Like a pair of old friends who act like enemies but are in fact closer than brothers. Managing to capture even forgotten nuances, this dream truly was pushing the boundaries of perfection.

Strong reliance with a dash of motherly charm tempt Hong Luo's heavy eyelids to flutter open and closed, open and closed, the fight to stay awake waning with every passing second. It should be alright, she comforts herself. Her nameless patient was stable, a large malignant portion transferred onto herself. Though her body was not too happy about it, her soul managed to taper the foreign substance down. Doing a splendid job of enacting the 'truth' that 'fun ruiner' spoke of. Even in a dream the immunity is there, albeit a little lacking, but still there regardless.

"Mother, is Luoluo going to be alright?" Hiamovi tilts his head to get a better view of Hong Luo. Despite how calm his voice sounds, his clenched fist and furrowed brows show his concern, his heart aching at seeing her like this.

In his memories she'd never looked so worn down, broken and bruised, a drowned cat hanging onto a hair's breadth. Smiles and laughter, teasing and overly naughty, even cunningly silly as she dragged his sister off to plan their next attack on the squirrels. Those little critters and herself were always at war with each other. The battle plans were absurd, the amount of time put in beyond stunning, even building a base of operations fully packed of needless items. Remembering it all brings a sigh to his lips. He always wondered why, what in heaven's name happened for such a ridiculous relationship to form with the squirrels. Unfortunately, she never told him even though she told Catori.

Those were the memories he has of her. They were nothing like now. This version of her——– was a her he never wanted to see and it tears him apart.

"You idiot!" Catori hit her brother in the back of the head. "Of course she's going to be alright! Luo'er is a strong and mighty warrior! A hunter with great prowess! An expert healer in the making! Nothing can best Luo'er! Nothing——–" She chokes, swallowing down a breath with great difficulty, the saliva pushing out a cough as it catches the wrong hole, holding back the rush of emotions threatening to spill. Her tone shifts, cracking as she smacks her brother again! "So don't you dare doubt otherwise, you hear me!"

"Alright you two, settle down. Luo'er is too exhausted to be riled up. When we get back to the tribe, the healers will have her all patched up. But even then you are to mind your manners, she's got a long road of recovery to walk on, and having the both of you be calm and considerate, will make the journey more easy on her. Do you understand?" When her children swiftly nod, collecting their emotions, she puts away her stern tone. "Now move along. Take the twins with you back to the tribe and have the healers be prepared to receive two patients."

""Yes mother!"" Both acknowledge simultaneously, rush off to the gate covered in drooping trees, and pull along two boys manning each side. Within seconds they disappear into the rain.

Several minutes later both Istaqa and Achak leave the house, closing the door with a gentle thud. "Ready to go." Achak walks to his wife's side, looking down at her but then off to the left.

Halona glances over at the pair of beasts watching them like a pair of hawks. She frowns, but doesn't do much of anything else. "Let's go."

Unsurprisingly they were being followed. Both men were not too happy about that. And were trying their best to ignore the walking disasters being led back to the tribe. Both were sporting matching veins popping alongside their faces.

"Mo Yin, Mo Meifeng." That sudden raspy voice pulls the men's attention to Hong Luo, even Halona glances at her, holding her tighter. She frowned in displeasure but didn't stop Hong Luo from talking.

The two beasts jolt forward, catching up within a split second. Now running alongside Halona and the men, their massive forms towering over them all, had both men sweating, their eyes sharp, and bodies taunt like bow ready to shoot.

"Behave, or else." Hong Luo warns, her voice heavy with sleep, her eyes opening one last time to glare at that naughty duo. Only when they blew out their essence like a candle, appearing weak like kittens, did she close her eyes. Slowly falling asleep.

Both men glance at each other and smile. Istaqa laughs, "this kid is insane and I love it! Gods I missed this crazy kid!" As for Achak, he too laughs, but subtly under his breath, "Yes, it's good to have her back."

Halona shook her head helplessly, whispering under her breath, "men." And this just made Istaqa laugh even louder when he heard. Boasting of his might, egging her on, teasing that she was jealous. Which got a glare from Halona and an eye roll from Achak. If only they could, they'd pretend to have no connection what-so-ever with this fool. Unfortunately, they were in laws.

It was to this music of voices and needless arguments that Hong Luo drifted off to sleep. But in her subconscious mind, she could still hear them, chattering away about this and that. Teasing each other one moment and grumbling the next.

Once they reach the tribal gate and under the leafy protection of the rain, she hears Halona sigh. Her hand reaches up, gentling rubbing circles on her matted hair, kissing the back of her ear with a smile. "Welcome home, Luo'er."

'Ah, how lovely this dream is,' Hong Luo mused. A spark of hope bubbling in her chest, wishing for it to never end. How warm. How gentle. How soothing.

An amber falls from the spark, drops into black water, and ripples in her mind.

Tap-tap-tap.

Tap!

Suddenly without warning that spark is swallowed by the darkness! A hand had reached out to smother it. Looming eyes, empty and desolate look into the singed mark scarring her palm, not a trace of pain in sight on that cold face, nor was any emotion to be seen.

Pure and utter exhaustion was all 'it' was.

'Yes it would indeed be lovely, but dreams are meant to end, and this one, this beautiful fantasy——– is no different.'

»»----- ✼ -----««

Kata's Corner: That ends chapter five. And yes, afraid this little story of mine is a little dark and gloomy. I do apologize if my synopsis fooled you. Writing summaries is not my forte, and to be perfectly honest, doing so is dread worthy for me personally. But worry not, there will be fluff, you just have to make your way through the doom and gloom first to get to it. Hopefully you lovely readers won't mind. =)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9 0 2
Remember me? Few years ago... A night to remember. On a shallow road, with a seemingly never-ending rain pouring down heavily, and streetlights barel...
97.1K 1.8K 37
"The fuck you are leaving me." He snapped and growled at his mate. She was calm as she was ever be regardless of his snapping. She sighed and turned...
1.6K 28 14
Ace Vinci a powerful dominant and reckless CEO of the Vinci enterprises making him one of the most powerful men in the world. He has everything mon...
2.3K 54 12
My father brought out his long glinting sword and plunged it into my mothers stomach. It seemed the second time was more painful than the first. It...