double, double, toil and trou...

By smolhyuck

From brewing potions, hexing their crushes and hiding magical creatures in their dormitories, house rivalries... More

Welcome & Houses
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
epilogue

Chapter 33

494 33 8
By smolhyuck

"AAAAHHHHH!"

"What is- OH FUDGE FLIES!"

"Haha! Look up there!"

From his perch at the top of one of the moving staircases, Donghyuck grins like the Cheshire cat, watching as his chaos unfolds down below.

To celebrate his return, Donghyuck had unleashed one of his favourite spells that he had practised over the summer at Mark's house. He made quick work of the spell to turn all staircases into slides; however, just to add a bit more... flavour, this time, he didn't stop there.

Summoning a constant stream of water from the tip of his wand, Donghyuck laughs to himself as a swarm of first years go tumbling down one of the 'water slides' just as the stairs start moving on their own.

Some students are shrieking, most are laughing, and Donghyuck just sits back as he takes in the sight before him, marvelling at the feeling of nostalgia that settles into his bones.

"Oh, it's good to be back."

"You have no idea how good it is to have you back", A voice sounds and Donghyuck whips his head around, his eyes landing upon a familiar face whose eyes sparkled with a similar type of mischief.

Jaemin raises his wand, giving Donghyuck a slight smirk before he casts his own spell, and it's when the noise below grows that both boys glance down at the mess beneath. The makeshift water slides are now slick with bubbles.

"A finishing touch", Jaemin mumbles, slotting his wand back into his robes as he approaches his best friend. Donghyuck rises wordlessly and as they share one look, both boys open their arms wide, embracing one another tightly.

It felt so good to be back in Jaemin's arms, Donghyuck mused. His friend always had a special talent for hugs.

"I'm not letting you go ever again, you know that, right?" Jaemin whispers, nuzzling his face into Donghyuck's neck as the two hold onto each other for dear life.

Merlin, how happy Donghyuck is to see him again.

"Does that mean that the rest of us should join your hug instead of waiting for our own?" Yukhei pipes up, Donghyuck momentarily pulling his head back to study his group of friends waiting beside the Gryffindor.

"I didn't take you both for the sentimental type", Renjun drawls, his voice coming out a lot softer than he had intended it to, seeing his two friends embraced like that. Even if he wouldn't outright voice how glad he was of Donghyuck's return, the latter could see it on his face. Donghyuck wanted to kiss him, kiss them, all of them.

"You're back for, what, an hour, and already have the Headmaster summoning you", Yukhei continues, his comment causing Donghyuck to frown.

"Headmaster Lee?"

"We passed him on our way to you", Mark answers, giving his boyfriend a sorry smile, "He wishes to see you in his office."

"Typical", Renjun spits, "He's here to sanction you for a mere prank, but where was he when you were kidnapped by your own psycho parents?"

And Donghyuck wants to tell them that Taeyong had left for the Ministry to help vouch for Doyoung's guardianship, but perhaps that was a conversation that can wait until he's able to sit down with them all and speak with no prying eyes or ears. He was already enough of a spectacle.

"Well, I suppose I should be on my way then", He huffs, pulling out of Jaemin's arms as he takes in his group of friends before him, "But first..."

He casts a glance over his shoulder at the slippery staircase that would lead down to the first floor.

"Anyone up for a race?"

~~~

His robes are still soaked with bubbles when he emerges from Headmaster Lee's office half an hour later. It was only a quick chat, just letting him know that the Ministry had not yet settled a court date but that for his educational purposes, Doyoung will be his guardian until Donghyuck graduates.

Donghyuck thanked Taeyong for what he had done, and just when the Slytherin was about to leave- on purpose or not- Headmaster Lee had also let slip that another professor had gone with him and Doyoung to the Ministry and without even needing to ask for confirmation- the image of his favourite potions master was at the forefront of Donghyuck's mind.

The next time he speaks with Johnny, he makes a promise to himself to thank him profusely, even though he already knows that words will barely be enough to convey his gratitude.

Donghyuck finds himself on his way back to the Slytherin Common Room as the school day is paused for lunch, and what makes him smile is that his little trick with the water slides is still running. Mark, despite being Head Boy, clearly hadn't done anything to reverse the spell yet. Donghyuck smiled at that.

As soon as he entered the Common Room, even with the cold stone walls and the deep green glow, he felt a burst of warmth spread throughout his chest.

At first, his eyes landed on Jaemin and Jeno. They were both sat on one of the royal green velvet sofas, sides pressed a little too close together to just be platonic as Jaemin leaned into the Hufflepuff, who was saying something in hushed tones.

Then as he glanced to the side, he could see Chenle and Jisung hunched over one of the few study tables lining the room, both boys focused on their respective books. Donghyuck didn't know when them two became friends- maybe they're still not- but he's glad there's going to be someone there for Chenle next year when the rest of them have graduated.

And then, what makes his heart skip a beat, is stood in front of him.

His love, his life, his world.

His cat.

Upon seeing Donghyuck, Nova lets out the loudest whine he's ever heard before she pads on over to him, quickly rising onto her back legs to paw at his legs, insisting on being picked up.

He obeys swiftly, taking her into his arms as he cradles her gently, bringing one hand up to comb through her fur before scratching behind her ear and under her chin, "Who is my precious girl? Is it you? Yeah, ooooh, look at you, my princess, look at those pretty eyes."

He can hear Jaemin scoff, breaking away from his conversation with Jeno. Still, Donghyuck pays him no attention as he just kisses Nova's head, absolutely elated to have her back in his arms.

He takes a lap around the Common Room, holding Nova and stopping in front of the large windows to see if there were any merfolk out swimming today. When he's almost done, both Jisung and Jeno are getting to their feet, muttering about how they should probably check on their creatures before afternoon classes start again.

They bid their goodbyes, and as soon as they're gone, Donghyuck joins Jaemin on the sofa, sitting just as close as Jeno had done and started batting his eyes at his best friend.

"Oh, you have to tell me everything."

"Considering you were abducted, I think you are permitted to go first."

Yet before Donghyuck divulges such information, he catches a glimpse of Chenle from the corner of his eye- the boy still stationed at his table, making no move to come over to them.

Donghyuck gives Jaemin a soft look before dropping Nova onto the Veela's lap, who only nods in understanding as Donghyuck then makes his way over to the table Chenle was at.

Even before Donghyuck stops in front of him, Chenle turns around to face him, guilt swimming in his eyes as his words tumble clumsily from his lips, "I'm so sorry, I... I couldn't, I didn't mean for this to happen. I just... I'm so sorry, I-"

"Hey, hey..." Donghyuck quickly closes the distance between them as he places a hand on Chenle's shoulder, giving it a soft squeeze, "Shush... hey, it's okay, it's okay."

"It's not okay, though", Chenle protests softly, his eyes not meeting Donghyuck's, "It was because of my letters-"

But before Donghyuck could listen to Chenle condemn himself, he swiftly steps in.

"No, it was because of my parents. You're not to blame, Chenle. I don't blame you."

But even if Donghyuck's tone was sharp and sure, Chenle's gaze still met the floor, his shoulders sagging, "You should"

"I don't", Donghyuck repeats, sliding into the chair next to Chenle that Jisung was just occupying, "If someone was threatening the people I love, I'd do anything to keep them safe. I understand what happened and I don't blame you, so please, don't blame yourself."

If someone had threatened his family- his real family- Jaemin, Mark, even Chenle himself... Donghyuck knows he would've done whatever was asked for him. Letters, spells.... vows.... he would've done it all for them.

But it's when Chenle finally looks Donghyuck in the eye that Donghyuck is taken back. When he looks at Donghyuck, it's like Chenle can see as clear as day what had happened to him, what they had done to him, not just recently, but from when he was a child.

Scars like that, they leave deep marks.

And no one, apart from Jaemin and Mark, has ever been close enough to see them before. With his sharp tongue and airs of confidence, he didn't let very many get close enough to see him. Because it was all there, on his face, in his eyes.

"They hurt you."

They did.

Donghyuck was not sure on how much Mark had filled them all in, but with Chenle being familiar with families like Donghyuck's, he knew that Mark wouldn't have had to say much before Chenle's mind began concocting the vilest of situations.

"I'm healing", Donghyuck whispers, and at that moment, he's not sure if he's talking to Chenle or acknowledging it himself, but it's true, "I'm okay."

I'm going to be okay.

They had tried to break him, to then build him back up in their image. But they had failed. What remained now was someone stronger than before.

Almost as though Chenle could see such resolution on Donghyuck's face, his whole body seemed to give in, to allow Donghyuck's touch to soothe him.

He wouldn't stop blaming himself, not for a while... But knowing that Donghyuck didn't resent him, that was enough for now.

Just as Donghyuck was about to speak up once more, the doors to the Common Room open, and in walks two faces that Donghyuck realises he's so incredibly glad to see.

"Well, if it isn't our Seeker", Yeri sings, arm in arm with Yuna- the two beaters for the Slytherin Quidditch team, "Finally resurfaced from whatever trouble you got yourself into?"

At her interest, Donghyuck places a hand over his heart as he leans against the back of his chair, throwing a lazy smile her way, "It's so touching how much you care about my wellbeing, Yeri."

As she only scoffs playfully, Yuna shakes her head with a smile, happy to see her teammate and friend before her, "The number of rumours we've heard about you in the last few days..."

"All true", He concludes, clapping his hands together as he straightens up, "I fought the dragon, I saved the world, I looked dashing whilst doing it..."

Yeri just rolls her eyes, albeit with a trace of fondness present on her face, "Oh, sod off, Lee."

They may tease and joke, but they were as close-knit as a family on that Quidditch pitch. A true family, not Donghyuck's pathetic excuse of one.

Just happy to have him back, Yuna tugs on Yeri's arm before nodding at him and then to Jaemin, "We'll see you on the pitch."

And just like that, like a normal afternoon conversation, they were gone, disappearing off to their dorm room.

The topic of Quidditch had then sparked interest in someone else as just as the two Slytherin beaters get out of earshot, Jaemin is speaking up.

"And talking of Quidditch..." He starts, casting a glance over to his best friend, "Do you think you'll be up for it?"

Donghyuck scrunches up his nose.

"I actually had a thought..." He starts, ignoring Jaemin's 'well that's dangerous', a phrase he stole from Donghyuck himself, "When is the next game?"

But Jaemin only shrugs, relaxing against the velvet sofa, his hand absentmindedly stroking over Nova's fur as she stayed curled up on his lap.

"Not for a while, I managed to pull some strings to delay the game since we were missing a rather key player."

Donghyuck nods at that, his own plan forming in his head.

"I'll come to training but... I won't play in the matches."

At that, Chenle's eyes widen and Jaemin almost shoots to his feet, startling the midnight black ball of fur resting on him, "Lee Donghyuck..."

Though before Jaemin could continue, Donghyuck only waves his hand.

"Since I'm officially cut off from my parents, I don't want to hide anymore", He explains, remembering how he had to compromise his time between his ambitions and what was deemed appropriate activities for the Lee heir, "I want to focus on my potions classes with Professor Suh and my shifts overlooking Nurse Moon... I love Quidditch, but now that I'm free, I want to pursue my passions."

He loved the sport. He loved spending those hours on the pitch, in the air, forgetting about what problems he was facing in his personal life. He loved coming up with plays with Jaemin and he loved teasing his teammates. But after seven years, he notes that perhaps it's time for a change. Perhaps someone else should get the chance to further their own Quidditch passion as a member of the house team.

"Let me guess", Jaemin drawls, watching over his friend carefully, "You have a plan."

Donghyuck beams over at his captain before he then turns back to Chenle, that smiling not dimming, "It's your lucky day."

Confused, Chenle furrows his eyebrows, "What?"

"You said you'd try out for the Quidditch team when the Seeker spot opened up," Donghyuck says, recalling that night after Slytherin won its first game of the year, when he had spoken to Chenle, the victory party in full swing. He knew how much the boy wanted a spot on the team, and here he could do something about that, "Well, it's open."

But instead of thanking him, Chenle only gawks at him, "You can't be serious."

Jaemin watches this interaction silently, studying both of the boys before him.

"You're a strong flyer and you have the drive", Donghyuck explains, shrugging his shoulders as if this was nothing, "I'll help train you, of course."

It's then that Jaemin tilts his head to the side, his own thoughts coming out in the open.

"You do mope around the pitch when we train", He reveals, Chenle's cheeks finding some colour at the observation, "And you've seen our plays, know the other players."

"Firstly, I don't mope, I just watch" The youngest of the three cuts in, "And secondly... this is ridiculous!"

Donghyuck takes his eyes from Chenle to look over at Jaemin. Ultimately, he'd have the final say as captain. But when Donghyuck looked to his best friend, there was something akin to wild curiosity in his eyes.

They wouldn't have much time to train Chenle for the first game, and they had no idea how he'd mould into their original plays or how he'd be with the team... But Donghyuck knew that Jaemin was fascinated by the challenge.

"So, does that mean you don't want to become a Seeker?" The Veela asks, watching as Chenle opens his mouth, only to close it and then open it again.

"No, Yes- wait...."

"Then it's settled", Jaemin announces, gently scooping Nova from his lap and setting her down on the soft cushions before he's smacking his knees and rising to his feet, "We'll see how it goes during our next training session."

Jaemin comes over to the table where Chenle and Donghyuck are sitting, dropping down into the spare chair as he passes smiles between the two.

It's then that Donghyuck turns back to Chenle, his tone light as he rests his elbows on the table, his chin leaning on his hands, "You haven't been moping around alone all this time, have you?"

"I don't mope!" Chenle sighs, his frustration causing both Donghyuck and Jaemin to chuckle before the latter cuts in again.

"He's been spending time with Jisung in between his moping."

At Jaemin's words, Donghyuck gasps dramatically, "Our Chenle has made a friend?!"

And Chenle just sighs again, knowing this conversation wasn't going to be short.

~~~

It's like he's revisiting a dream with the way he waltzes through the Gryffindor Common Room- remembering the scandal it caused the first time he graced the Gryffindors with his presence in their sacred space.

He makes his way through the Common Room with those inside staring after him as he follows his invisible map straight up to Mark's room. With no knocking, no warning, Donghyuck pushes the door open, grinning at the two people that turn to face him.

Yukhei is the closest to the door, gathering up some parchment and a textbook. Mark is on his bed, lying on his back as a book is opened above him, a charm in work as the pages turn by themselves at scheduled intervals.

Yukhei looks between the door and his best friend, a knowing expression gracing his face as he gives Donghyuck a slight nod, wanting to give the two some privacy, "I'm going to head down to the library and uh... leave you two to it."

Mark's only response is to spell his book closed, allowing it to float down onto the bedside table as he knows that Donghyuck will most likely launch himself at him, and he didn't want the book to fall and possibly harm his boyfriend when the Slytherin inevitably made his move.

However, before Yukhei could disappear through the door, Donghyuck turns to face his boyfriend's best friend.

"Far left corner of the library by the big arched windows", Donghyuck mutters, a sly smile on his face as he walks further into the room, passed the Quidditch player and towards his boyfriend, "That's where Renjun is"

There's a red tint to the tips of Yukhei's ears as he bows his head, mumbling something akin to 'thanks' before stepping across the threshold and closing the door behind him.

As soon as Yukhei leaves, Donghyuck is crossing the room, and his body is on top of Mark's before the latter even registers it.

It takes Mark a moment to readjust, but then he's wrapping his arms around Donghyuck, holding the boy on top of him as Mark pushes his face into Donghyuck's neck, savouring the way that his boyfriend fills his senses.

He can almost taste the sweetness of Donghyuck's skin from how close they were; he can feel the boy's soft locks between his fingers as one of his hands slides up and positions itself at the back of his head, holding him still. He can feel the way that Donghyuck's heart beats, the way that its rhythm picks up when Mark's other hand slides under his shirt, his palm sprawled across Donghyuck's back.

Donghyuck's breath is hot against Mark's ear, his soft, plush lips brush against the shell, and the feathered touch has Mark trying to draw Donghyuck's body impossibly closer.

They stay like that for a moment, wrapped up in each other's arms, not saying a word, both completely drowning in bliss.

But then Donghyuck draws back slightly, wishing to take in his boyfriend's face, and Mark's hands are automatically at Donghyuck's hips, helping him balance.

It's when their eyes meet that Mark has to resist the urge to surge forwards to press their lips together. Instead, his grip on Donghyuck's hips tightens ever so slightly as he takes in the spark of mischief at home in his boyfriend's eyes- and again, Mark has to stop himself from reaching out to pin back the Slytherin's hair that falls in front of his eyes.

He wanted to see that familiar glint. He wanted to feel it.

"You've got that look in your eye..."

"What look?" Donghyuck questions back softly, except he knew precisely what Mark meant. The boy could read him and his mind as easily as he had just been reading his spelled book, "This is a normal eye, a normal look with a normal eye."

"There's a plan forming in your mind", Mark responds, "And usually that means trouble."

"Not this time", Donghyuck chimes in, and all Mark can do is smile, not believing a word as Donghyuck leans back in slowly, too slowly. He tilts his head so that their noses brush together, his words ghosting Mark's lips, "I promise."

However, rather than a verbal response or dismissal, Mark slides his hand back up to cradle Donghyuck's face before guiding Donghyuck's lips to his own- a response in its own right.

He missed having Donghyuck like this.

However, just before Mark manages to deepen their kiss, Donghyuck is pulling back, a knowing smirk sitting on his face, and all Mark can do is huff.

"What is it, this plan of yours?" Mark whispers, Donghyuck's eyes lighting up in excitement already.

"Are you giving in to me already?" Donghyuck whispers, leaning back in to nip at Mark's earlobe before he draws back again, batting his eyes innocently.

Mark just sighs, his head falling back against the pillows on his bed, "You have a way of involving me in your trouble regardless."

At that, Donghyuck lets out a low, breathy laugh, pressing himself further into Mark as his lips trail from Mark's mouth and back to his ear, knowing his boyfriend's body all too well, "I think it's more that you'll do anything for me."

The sound that Mark tries to suppress tells Donghyuck everything.

Sensing his victory, Donghyuck grins, pushing himself up into a sitting position as Mark groans, steadying Donghyuck's hips once again.

"Let's go!" Donghyuck cheers quietly, already making a move to get off of Mark's bed. However, before he moves so that he's out of reach, Mark's hands shoot out, securing themselves around Donghyuck's waist as he pulls the boy back down into his arms, their bodies together once again.

"Just... let me hold you", Mark murmurs, his arms sliding around Donghyuck's middle, and Donghyuck just relaxes against his boyfriend, no protests sounding, "Just for another minute..."

~

It wasn't until dinner that Donghyuck was able to escape Mark's arms and lure him down to the kitchens as his plan had needed.

They stayed out of the way as the house-elves worked, occasionally helping when they wouldn't just slow them down further. When dinner was done and the kitchens were evacuated for the evening, Donghyuck went straight over to the cabinets and started getting cups ready.

Hot chocolate- only this hot chocolate was hot. It was spicy.

Since Mark didn't grow up in the Wizarding World, the first time he had this hot chocolate, he had coughed it up over his own robes, and Donghyuck had almost wet himself with laughter.

This time, since knowing what was in store, Mark knew to be careful.

As for the rest of the night, they curled up next to each other, cups in hand, all for five glorious minutes... before their group chat was being blown up, everyone having piled into the Slytherin Common Room to give Donghyuck a proper welcome back.

Jaemin threatened to bring back their previous meme war if the two love birds didn't join them soon.

But Donghyuck just kissed Mark again as a wave of notifications filled his phone.

———————————————————————
Notes-

so hyuck is happily back at hogwarts and chenle is going to have a go at being slytherin's seeker

next chapter we'll see some more of johnny and a little more on chenle and jisung's budding friendship

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

580 35 12
Nct dream is a successful boy group that's known for their talents as well as their chemistry together. But one thing that the media as well as thè...
432K 23.5K 66
When Jaemin transfers to a new school (an all boys boarding school, at that), he gets a very.. interesting roommate. ♡ ♡ Jeno has a wild reputation f...
3.3K 178 36
2 best friends at young age started crushing on eachother but one had to move away due to some circumstances and came back 14 years later. What happe...
11.9K 710 24
{A Markhyuck fanfiction} [In which Mark Lee is on a quest to save and protect his kingdom's prince of the throne, Lee Donghyuck.] [Started: June 6th...