The Neglected Genius

By Eddie_Aguirre

~THIS STORY IS UNDERGOING PLOT AND STORYLINE EDITING AND THEREFORE, HAS LOST ALL RELATION WITH ITS FORMER SEQ... More

Prologue
Do I Deserve This?
Realizations, Realizations...
First Contact
Healing Palms
Registered Medic Ninja, Naruto... what?!
Struggles
The Blood Moon
Situations and Resolutions
Pandemonium
The Truth Hurts
More Difficult Than It Seems
The Drift Between Powers
The Birth of Team 7?
The Birth of Team 7: Part 2
The Clash of Demons
The Calm before the Red Dawn
The Red Dawn
Foreshadowing

Secrets

1.6K 42 6
By Eddie_Aguirre

3rd Person POV

"I know you said that Nami was in shambles, Tazuna-san, but I didn't think it would be this bad..." Menma said as Team 7 walked towards Tazuna's home.

Anywhere they looked, they could see poverty. Kids asking for either money or food, the market had one or two stands at most with very limited items for outrageous prices, and you could feel the resignation in the air. These people felt they had hit a dead end.

'I have to do something about this...' Naruto thought while walking towards Tazuna's home, until he felt someone pulling on his vest. Looking down, he saw a little boy looking at him expectantly, but with hesitation. He knew that look. The boy was already expecting Naruto to reject anything the boy wanted to ask.

"Hey, little guy. How can I help you?" Naruto asked as he crouched to look at the boy. Team 7 and Tazuna stopped to wait for Naruto.

"Hey Mister! Do you have anything to eat? I have not had anything to eat in 3 days..." the boy looked down in sadness, making Naruto's heart clench.

"Actually, I do." Naruto said, making the boy look at him with wide eyes.

"It's not much, but it is something to help you last a while longer." Naruto said, unsealing a ration bar from a seal in his arm.

"This looks small, but it will make you feel full for a while. Sorry this is all I can give you, but I will make sure you all have something to eat soon. I promise." Naruto said with a small smile as the boy tackled him in a hug, saying "thank you" repeatedly.

As the boy took off with the ration bar in hand, Team 7 proceeded in following Tazuna.

"Thank you for that, Naruto-san. Everyone around here have lost so much since Gato took over. Many have lost loved ones due to malnutrition, or to diseases they had no money to cure. With my bridge, I hope to bring Nami to its former glory." Tazuna said with conviction, his eyes watering slightly.

"Don't mention it, Tazuna-san. It is our duty to help all of you. I promise we will help in bringing Nami back to its feet." Naruto said with a smile. Smile which was mirrored by all of Team 7, including Menma and Sasuke, who had a little time to come to terms with what happened earlier.

*5 minutes later*

"Here we are. Welcome to my humble abode!" Tazuna announced as Team 7 followed.

Opening the door, the house seemed simple, yet big enough to house a family of 5 comfortably.

"Tsunami! I'm home! I have company!" Tazuna announced, leading Team 7 in.

A series of fast footsteps later, and a pretty woman stepped from what they assumed was the kitchen wearing a pink blouse.

"Tou-san! You're back! Welcome home!" Tsunami said as she approached Tazuna.

"And who are these people?" Tsunami asked in curiosity as Naruto stepped forward.

"Good afternoon, Tsunami-san. My name is Senju-Uzumaki Naruto, Jonin Co-Sensei of Team 7 here. The man with the mask is Hatake Kakashi, official Sensei of Team 7, the red head is my little brother and student, Namikaze-Uzumaki Menma, the black haired boy is Uchiha Sasuke, and the pink haired girl is Haruno Sakura. We were tasked in escorting Tazuna-san home and protecting him while he finishes building the bridge. Thank you for having us." Naruto announced as Team 7 took its cue to bow, causing Tsunami to blush and sweatdrop at the gesture.

"A-ah, there is no need to bow. I should be the one thanking you for protecting my drunkard of a father. Thank you for protecting him and helping us." Tsunami bowed as well.

"We will do our best, Tsunami-san." Naruto concluded as Tazuna spoke with Tsunami.

"Where's Inari-kun, Tsunami?" Tazuna asked.

"He will be back soon, tou-san. He went to the docks to see if he could get some fish. That boy has been adamant to provide food for us lately." Tsunami huffed a little, but couldn't help to feel pride.

"Who's Inari, Tsunami-san?" Menma asked in curiosity

"Ahh, he's my son, Menma-san. He's 8 years old, but the boy tries to act grown up and angsty." Tsunami said a little embarrassingly, subtly preparing them to meet Inari.

"Kaa-chan! I'm home!" Perfect timing.

"Ah, Inari-kun. Come meet the ninja who protected your precious grampa!" Tazuna exclaimed, a little buzzed.

'How is he drunk already?!" Team 7 pondered in shock. They had been here for a grand total of 4 minutes!

"Hmph. Why bother, Grandpa? They're just gonna die anyways." Inari said, shocking the genin a little.

"Hey! Watch it you brat! We won't die anytime soon! We still have much to do!" Menma argued.

"That's what they all say, and they end up dying anyways. No one can stand up to Gato. No one." With that, Inari stormed to his room.

"Inari! Come down and apologize! Inari!" Tsunami screamed until she heard a door slam.

"*sigh*Sorry about that. He has a hard time trusting anyone when they say they will free us from Gato's regime." Tsunami said sadly. It has been a tough time for her family.

"Don't worry, Tsunami-san. We will do our best to free Nami. You have our word." surprisingly, Sasuke spoke this time.

"Thank you, Sasuke-san." Tsunami said with a sad smile.

"Oh, where are my manners? Is anyone hungry? I have enough ingredients to make a stew." Tsunami announced as she stood to head back to the kitchen.

"That would be lovely, Tsunami-san. Thank you!" Kakashi said as he pulled out his little orange book to read, making Team 7 sweat drop.

"Nii-san... it's not the time to read." Naruto said, while attempting to take the book, only to have the book disappear from his reach.

"Don't you dare touch my precious." Kakashi spoke seriously.

"Then put it away. We have some things to discuss." Naruto said as Kakashi put the book away.

"Now, I am sure that you all have some things to say and ask, as well as us." Naruto began. "Menma, Sasuke, how are you two feeling?" Naruto asked, looking at the two boys.

"Well..." Menma began. "While I didn't enjoy killing, what you said did help me. What we're doing is to make sure that less evil happens in the world. After what Zabuza said to you back there, I knew that he was not good. His heart was pure evil. He had a certain vibe to him that I didn't like." At this, Menma shivered a little. "As long as I don't like killing, I will be okay. I will only kill when absolutely necessary. That, I promise." Menma finished with conviction, making Naruto smile in pride at his younger twin's maturity.

'Even though you grew up pampered, you didn't grow up entitled. I'm proud of you, Menma.' Naruto thought.

"Sasuke?" Naruto turned his attention at Sasuke, who was looking down.

"To be honest... I think I took it a little better after witnessing what I did that day." Sasuke spoke, making Naruto's and Kakashi's eyes widen a little. Sasuke had been very reserved of what happened the day of the Uchiha Massacre. They didn't know if it was because he blocked it like many details of his life, or if it was because he didn't want to talk about it at all. It seems he feels a little more at ease to talk about it.

"That day, I witnessed more death and carnage than what I did back there. While it doesn't feel great to kill, I know it must be done at times. I'm prepared to do it again if the occasion arises. For that, I thank you, Naruto-sensei." at this, to everyone's shock, Sasuke stood and bowed at Naruto.

'It seems he might be ready to learn of 'that.'' Naruto thought in further pride.

"What about you, Sakura? While you didn't kill, you endured the murderous intent I released at Zabuza." Naruto directed his attention to Sakura next.

"Well, after talking to Kakashi-sensei, I also understand that in this line of duty, we have to be prepared for anything. I thought about it as we walked here, and I realized that none of us used the skills you taught us during our trainings." Sakura said in slight shame as Menma and Sasuke's eyes widened at the fact.

They had not used any of the skills they were taught!

"We know how to walk up trees, how to walk on water, how to use other basic jutsu, and we forgot of the fact. We need to up our styles to incorporate everything you taught us. We won't be the reason any of us suffer." Sakura spoke with a fire in here eyes that shocked the team.

'It seems she's ready too. All of them are.' Naruto thought while in a high with the amount of pride he was feeling at his team.

"I see. Very well. Team 7, I am proud of how you all improved compared to your first performance at the beginning of the mission. Because of this, I now feel you're ready to learn some truths about me." Naruto said as Kakashi looked at him in subtle shock.

"Sakura, Sasuke, Menma. What I am about to tell you is considered an S-Rank Secret. If this, in any way, is spread around the Leaf Village, or anywhere for that matter, you may be sentence to death. Is that understood?" Naruto asked them seriously.

"H-hai, sensei!" the genin responded, scared yet curious on what their sensei was going to tell them.

"Very well. When I was born, I was the firstborn of twins." Naruto began. "At the time of my birth, a catastrophe was unleashed upon the village in the form of the Kyuubi no Yoko." at the mention of the Kyuubi, Naruto and Menma flinched. Naruto, because Kurama didn't like being called by that title by him, and Menma, because Kushina and Minato had told him that they almost died that day.

"The thing that no one knows, is that my birth mother was the Jinchuuriki of the Kyuubi at the time." at the mention of the word Jinchuuriki, the genin looked confused at what the word was.

"Umm, Naruto-sensei? What is a Jinchuuriki?" Sakura asked in curiosity, Menma mirroring such curiosity, as this pertained to his mother too.

"Jinchuuriki, Sakura, means the power of human sacrifice. A Jinchuuriki is a jailor to a bijuu." at this, Menma froze, Sakura looked horrified, and Sasuke looked shocked. Kakashi only looked away, feeling sorry for being useless that day.

"So, your mother had the Kyuubi inside of her?!" Sakura asked in shock, Menma mirroring said shock.

"That is correct, Sakura. Jinchuuriki are considered last resort weapons in wars. The power of a Jinchuuriki is immense." Naruto said.

"A-and was it safe to have the Kyuubi in the village? How was she allowed in the village when the Kyuubi was freed?!" Sakura worded the question horribly.

"Sakura!" Kakashi roared at her, making her look at Kakashi with horror. She had not heard Kakashi yell like that in the time she was part of Team 7.

"I would hope that you're not insinuating that it was her fault that the Kyuubi was released, right? Sakura?" Menma asked eerily quiet.

"H-how can she be trusted Menma-kun?! The Kyuubi was released from her once, what assures us that it won't happen again?!" Sakura asked in fear.

"Because she's my mother, Sakura!" Menma barked at Sakura in anger, not as bad as Kakashi's, but close enough, making Sakura freeze.

"Y-your mother?" she asked.

"Yes! My mother! I have called Naru-nii as such multiple times! How did that not get through your thick ass head!" Menma asked enraged.

"Menma." the tone was even. No indication of anger.

"But Naru-nii, she-"

"She doesn't know the full story yet, as you don't either." Naruto spoke, making Menma relax a bit.

"Fine..." Menma mumbled a bit, looking at Naruto, waiting for him to continue.

"As I was saying, she can be trusted, Sakura, because she no is no longer the Jinchuuriki of the Kyuubi." Naruto said, making Sakura unconsciously release an exhale of relief.

"I am." those two words, made Sakura look at Naruto with shock and disbelief in her eyes, Menma and Sasuke doing the same, but not to the same extent as Sakura.

"Y-you a-are t-the-" she couldn't finish the sentence.

"The Jinchuuriki of the Kyuubi, yes. I am the current jailor of the strongest of the Bijuu." Naruto said as Sakura struggled to find what words to use next.

"H-how is that possible? How can you be safe to be around?" Sakura asked. Naruto took absolutely no insult to what she had said. It was human nature: Humans fear that which they cannot understand.

"I am not safe to be around, mainly because I am an S-Rank Nin that can be attacked at a moments notice. Being a Jinchuuriki changes nothing in who I am. All it means, is that I am the closest friend to a misunderstood soul." Naruto said with a small smile, making Sakura look at him weird.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked.

"Let me show you what I mean." with that, a puff of smoke appeared next to Naruto. As the smoke cleared, Sakura let out an "eek" as she scurried back from the table as a small nine-tailed fox was curled up next to Naruto.

"Hmm? Why did you summon me, Naruto? I was taking one heck of a nap." Kurama spoke as it stretched out and climbed on Naruto's head.

"I summoned you to introduce you. Kurama, this is Menma, Sasuke, and Sakura. Team, this is Kurama, the Kyuubi no Yoko." Kurama's tails waved as he looked at the genin.

"Yo." was all he said.

"Yo, Kurama! Long time no see!" Kakashi spoke with an eye smile.

"Ohh, Kakashi no gaki. It's been a while. How's that little runt, Pakkun?" Kurama asked as his tails waved lazily.

"He's been around. Says he still has a race to beat you in." Kakashi spoke, making Kurama snicker.

"Tell him next time I see him, I will beat him like always." Kurama made fun as Kakashi sweat dropped.

"Sure, sure." Kakashi said as he looked at the genin.

Menma and Sasuke showed some interest in Kurama as both inspected him straight on.

"This is the Kyuubi no Yoko? Seems awfully small compared to how the story goes." Menma said looking confused as his face got close to Kurama, who bit his nose.

"ITAI! What was that for you flea bag!?" Menma asked in pain.

"You got too close." Kurama said simply.

"Grrrr..." Menma grumbled silently.

"So this is the Uchiha brat that you've been struggling with, huh?" Kurama asked Naruto as he looked at Sasuke.

"Yup. That's the one." Naruto answered

"Hmph... Well, he has a little more potential compared to the other Uchiha brats. Hopefully he can deliver." Kurama said as his attention turned to Sakura, who stared at him in fear.

"Are you sure she's the one you told me of? Seems like the worse option you've told me of." Kurama spoke nonchalantly.

"Well, if she chooses to reject my offer, then it will be on her. But she has the biggest potential out of all the candidates." Naruto said.

"Listen girl!" Kurama barked, scaring Sakura.

"While I can understand why you're scared of me, you need to get over it. This gaki and I are two separate entities. We're not the same. I can promise you, on my honor as a Bijuu, that I won't cause any more destruction unless ordered to or controlled. Does that help?" Kurama asked, only to receive no answer.

"DOES THAT HELP?!" he roared, forcing a "hai" from Sakura.

"Good. Now, if that is all, I'll resume my nap. C'ya!" and with that, Kurama disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"Now, Sasuke." Naruto called on Sasuke's attention.

"When we first met, I told you that I was helping your cousins train. Do you remember that?" Naruto asked, mentally preparing for what he was about to do.

"I do." Sasuke responded.

"Do you remember what you said?" Naruto asked.

"I said that only an Uchiha can train an Uchiha... Why are you asking me this?" Sasuke was getting a little confused.

"Because, to an extent, you're right." Naruto said, increasing Sasuke's confusion.

"W-what do you mean by that?" Sasuke was kind of figuring out what Naruto meant, but it couldn't be... right? At this point, Sasuke was looking down in focus.

"What I mean, Sasuke, is that I have trained your cousins in unlocking and using their Sharingan, because I know how to use it." as Naruto ended the sentence, Sasuke looked back up to ask once more "how", but the question died in his throat as he saw Naruto's eyes.

"T-the Sharingan! In b-both eyes! But how?" Sasuke asked in shock.

"To be honest with you, Sasuke, I don't know who, or even when, but, both Menma and I have an Uchiha ancestor. I am the only one to awaken it outside the Uchiha clan as far as I know." Naruto told Sasuke seriously.

"I've had the Sharingan for some years now. I know its workings to a high extent. Why this isn't known to the world with my rank? Because I rarely use it." At this, Sasuke looked slightly outraged.

"Why?! The Sharingan is the strongest bloodline in existence! Why don't you use it?!" Sasuke asked.

It seemed Fugaku got way further into his head than he thought.

"Because the Sharingan is just a tool, Sasuke. It is not the only skill that a ninja requires to triumph. Many Uchiha have died to the hand of ninja without bloodline limits. I will tell you the one thing I told your cousins when I started training them." Naruto said seriously, noticing everyone's attention was on him.

"Do not overspecialize. Focusing on one aspect of your training will only debilitate you on the long run. Remember the saying, "A Jack of All Trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one." Naruto said, noticing the genin were thoughtful. It seemed Sakura's panic had subsided and she was currently thinking on what had just happened. 

"So... does that mean that, to an extent, we're related?" Sasuke asked.

"I would guess so. I do not know who was the Uchiha along my family tree, but the fact that I have Uchiha blood indicates that, to an extent as you said, we are related. Probably 4th or 5th cousins removed. Who knows?" Naruto said, looking at Sasuke, who turned to look at Menma, remembering what Naruto said earlier.

"Pft, ever since we became genin, I considered you my brother, Sasuke. So I don't care how far related we are. That won't change." Menma grinned, causing Sasuke to smile.

"Sorry to interrupt, but the food is ready!" Tsunami said with a smile while peeking from the kitchen.

"Have we really been speaking that long?" Menma asked, looking out the window, noticing the sun was setting.

"Time goes by fast when speaking of important things." Naruto said with a smile.

*10 Minutes Later*

"I-I hope the food was to your liking." Tsunami said with a nervous smile and sweat drop.

Naruto, Kakashi, and Sakura were eating like normal people, while Menma and Sasuke were having a competition to see who could eat the fastest. Only now, both had thrown up what they ate and tried to replenish what they had lost... Until both felt pain in their heads.

"If you're going to be puking the food, then stop eating." both Naruto and Kakashi scolded as Naruto hit Menma in the head and Kakashi hit Sasuke in the head.

"But, yes, Tsunami-san. The food is delicious. Thank you very much for feeding us." Naruto bowed slightly as Tsunami blushed again.

"D-don't mention it. Hopefully I can get more ingredients to keep us all fed for a while." Tsunami said, a little nervous because of the shortages Nami was suffering.

"Don't worry about that, Tsunami-san. We will help in hunting or anything that you need." Naruto said with a small smile, making Tsunami mirror it.

"Thank you, Naruto-san." Tsunami thanked. 

*knockknockknockknockknock*

"Oh? I wonder who that could be..." Tsunami went to the door. As soon as she opened the door, a shadow dashed and crashed onto Naruto.

"Do you really have to do this every time we see each other, Ryo-kun?" Naruto mumbled from the floor, inciting a giggle from Tsunami and Sakura.

"Sorry, Naru-sama. I have urgent news regarding the investigation." the now identified 3 tailed little Yoko, told Naruto with urgency.

Turning serious, Naruto spoke

"Report!" As soon as Naruto ordered, Ryo stood at attention before speaking.

"Hai! I have been trailing your team as ordered since leaving Konoha with no luck during most of the mission. However, as soon as you departed after your encounter with the Kirigakure no Kijin, a creature with the features matching Akatsuki's spy, Zetsu, was spotted in the same area you were in. He said they would report your skills to "leader-sama", whoever that may be." Ryo reported, making Naruto growl.

"Tch. Those bastards are becoming more active. It is more troubling that, in addition to them, Danzo has been silent for far too long... Things will get interesting soon, it seems." Naruto pondered, making Kakashi tense.

"Who're the Akatsuki, Naruto-kun?" Kakashi asked.

"I will tell you in Hokage-sama's presence, nii-san. This situation is appearing to be reaching S-Rank in danger. If things begin to get out of hand, I'm afraid we may have to stop babying the next generation." Naruto spoke seriously.  Kakashi knew what Naruto meant. The next generation were the current genin graduates. If things were this bad... no. Kakashi didn't want to think about that yet.

"Very well. Then, what will we do until Tazuna-san completes the bridge?" Kakashi asked, seeing if Naruto had a plan.

"As of now, we don't know if Gato will be hiring another village or more missing nin, so we will train them to prepare for anything. We must be careful in what we do from now on. If we encounter more missing ninja, I'm afraid we would be looking at the best case scenario. If we encounter ninja from another village... we may even be risking war." Naruto spoke seriously, making the genin tense.

"B-but why would that be the case, nii-san?" Menma asked in fear.

"Tell me, Menma. If another team's mission is to protect Gato, what would that make us in their eyes?" Naruto asked.

"I would guess the bad guys... but why would another village help Gato?" Menma asked in confusion.

"Because they would be getting paid for it. The fact that there are two conflicting missions surrounding one situation, could very well call for sabotage from one another. We could be starting a war if we attack or kill anyone from another village. If they were missing ninja, that would merit a reward from the villages hunting the missing ninja. When it comes to the Shinobi Way of Thinking, there are a lot of variables to consider. Pretty much anyone is looking for a reason to start a war, because during those times, a village can do whatever they need to survive without as much fear or restrictions. Always keep these things in mind." Naruto finished explaining this to the Genin, much to Tsunami's astonishment. Never in her mind had she imagined a young boy, no more than 13 years old, in the position of a general or leader, but Naruto was doing just that.

"At this moment, you guys are not ready for anything that could come our way. So, I'm afraid that, for you three, the time to be rookies is over." Naruto said expressionless, Kakashi mirroring the look as best as he could with his mask.

"W-what do you mean, sensei?" Sakura asked in fear.

"I'm afraid that both Kakashi-nii and I will be boosting your power from baby genin, that you currently are, to, at least, low chuunin within these next days. It won't be nice. It won't be easy. You will definitely hate us by the end of it. But this training has worked for generations. You three will be trained in the way of the ANBU." Naruto said, making the genin pale at the thought. It was no secret that ANBU are some of the strongest shinobi in the village. So to think that they will be training like them, made them a little nervous. 

"Tomorrow morning you will be awake by 5 in the morning, by 7:30 you will have run 5 times around the forest surrounding wave. By 8 your breakfast will be eaten. By 10, you should've at least grasped the basics of the Taijutsu styles we provide to you. by 12, you will have gotten a grasp on the theories of the Jutsu's we give you. From there to 12:30, you will attempt to use the jutsu. By 1, your lunch should have been consumed. Until 3 in the afternoon, you will hone your aim in shurikenjutsu. By 4, you will all spar against each other. The loser of the spar will be the first volunteer in your dodging training until 5, the second loser until 6, and the winner, until 7. By 8, we should be having dinner, until 9, I will heal the damage to your muscles and fatigue, and by 10, you should be asleep. ready to repeat the process the next day." Naruto said, ignoring the dropping jaws of his genin, as well as Tsunami's horror.

"N-Naruto-san, are you sure that is safe for them to even attempt?" Tsunami asked, knowing she was kind of stepping on unknown territory.

"If I were not here, then no. No where near close. With me here, though, things change. I am one of the best medics the Elemental Nations have to offer, and that is saying that I am only second since my mother, Senju Tsunade, is the best medic at this point in time." Naruto said, making Tsunami's eyes widen.

"Since I am here, I am able to immediately heal any injuries and strains that this training can cause to them, leaving them fresh and ready for the next day." Naruto said, looking at the genin who were shivering under his gaze.

"W-well... you're the expert here. I was just curious." Tsunami said sheepishly.

"Alright. Let's finish eating and head to bed. Tomorrow will be a long day for you all." Naruto said with an evil smile, making everyone, including Kakashi, shiver in anticipation and fright.

Tomorrow would be along day indeed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wooh! Another chapter done!

Hopefully y'all enjoyed this chapter! I will be thinking of things to add here and there to make the story a little more interesting for you all. If you have any suggestions, go ahead and let me know either through the comments or a DM.

See y'all!

-Eddie <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.3K 375 69
What if something made Naruto the dead-last that everyone sees him as? What if he really wasn't as weak as he seemed? The true Naruto, unleashed upon...
16.8K 662 53
Naruto Otsutsuki-Kitsune(New) (old)Uzmaki-Namikaze is a young boy who is hated by most of the village and his 'parents' negected him(classic) for...
264K 7K 26
My name is (Y/n). I was adopted by the nicest people ever. Uzumaki Kushina, and Namikaze Minato.. I apologize now for spelling and grammar errors. ~D...
305 10 3
In this alternate version of Naruto, he diverges significantly from the original character we know. This Naruto is mature beyond his years, possessin...