Trial & Error

By KYNDIOR

Four beautiful African American best friends navigate their own trial and error through modern day society. More

Trial and Error
1 | Jade
2 | Caren
3 | Joie
4 | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
30 | Jade
31 | Caren
32 | Joie
33 | Andi
34 | Jade
35 | Caren
36 | Joie
37 | Andi
38 | Jade
39 | Caren
40 | Joie
41 | Andi
42 | Jade
43 | Caren
44 | Joie
45 | Andi
46 | Jade
47 | Caren
48 | Joie
49 | Andi
50 | Jade
51 | Caren
52 | Joie
53 | Andi
II | Jade
II | Joie
II | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
29 | Jade
30 | Caren
31 | Joie
32 | Andi
33 | Jade
34 | Caren
35 | Joie
36 | Andi
37 | Jade
38 | Caren
39 | Joie
40 | Andi
41 | Jade
42 | Caren
43 | Joie
44 | Andi
45 | Jade
46 | Caren
47 | Joie
48 | Andi
Epilogue
𝐓&𝐄-𝐈𝐈

II | Caren

1.8K 275 113
By KYNDIOR

               The Maui scenery out on this balcony was breathtaking. It offered me the finest view of coastline and Pacific Ocean. The sun rays down on me, as I sat out donning the hotel provided robe. I could hear footsteps coming my way before a breakfast tray was placed on the round table and my gaze cruised up the tattooed arm and dark brown eyes.

               "Good morning, baby." His deep, resonated voice rang in my ears.

               I smiled as I leaned up, pulling my feed-in braids to hang over my right shoulder. "We talked about you calling me baby, Xavier."

               "My apologies. It's a habit."

               Xavier joined me at the table while I reached for a croissant and took a bite of it. "This romantic ain't it?"

               I narrowed my eyes at him. "We're only here because we celebrated Calen's fourth birthday. Speaking of are they still asleep?"

               "Knocked out." He said, eating on the breakfast.

               I buttered my toast. "Did you talk to your therapist today?"

               Every since our session six months ago, I chose to stay in our marriage under the condition that he received therapy to work on himself and he has been following through with the promise. Although we're still legally married, we live separately and there's been no sexual acts of any kind between us two. I set boundaries.

               I could've and should've went through with the divorce after everything he put me through. But I had another chance to give him in my heart and for the first time Xavier's actually putting in the effort to show me he's working on change. Xavier would've never agreed to therapy but when he recognized how much past trauma he's been through and how it affected us, he was open to it. And for the passed six months a very eminent therapist in Dallas, Dale Harrison, guided Xavier into putting everything into prospective for him, and it helped more that Dale's a Black man himself.

               "I did," Xavier ate on his breakfast. "He want me to finally confront my parents and express to 'em how much my childhood affects me."

               "That sounds nice, if you had regular parents." I picked up the glass of orange juice, "They will dismiss your feelings how they always do and you'll let it happen as always."

               "That's why I want you there with me."

               I nearly choked on the OJ hearing that come out his mouth. "Absolutely not."

               "If I have you there, Caren, I would be able to better express myself."

               "No, Xavier. I don't like your mother or your father. And yes, it has very much to do with their career profession. I really don't feel comfortable."

               He sighed, gently taking my hand. "You the one woman I know that sticks up to my parents and to have you there by my side will help me help push myself to let out what I've been wanting to say. Please, Caren?"

               He stared at me pleadingly and I could tell how much he needed this to happen. "Okay. But I'm not doing this as soon as we get back. They're not the first faces I want to see."

               Xavier kissed my hand repeatedly. "Thank you."

               "Mmhm."

               His phone start to buzz constantly on the table.

               I proceeded to eat while Xavier picked up his phone. "What the hell. Have you seen this?"

               Xavier stretched his phone out to me and I stared at the screen. It was a TMZ story of Jade with the headline: Jade Skye Filed Restraining Order On Husband Cairo 'Burna' Norman, Claims Domestic Violence.

               "What the hell?" I rose up from the chair and went inside the room and retrieved my phone. It was quick to find the TMZ article since it was a trending topic on Twitter.

               Skye filed for divorce from Burna unexpectedly in late March after nearly nine years of marriage. The split subsequently has become increasingly turbulent as the pair battled over their prenuptial agreement and custody of their of their six month old daughter. As of today, everything has been granted, but for Skye to receive joint custody, the judge agreed it would be better if she returned to Dallas, Texas.

               Today, paparazzi caught Skye coming out of her New York City condo and she told she filed the restraining order because the music mogul has been "physically abusive" towards her and that it would be the only way she moved back to Dallas.

               Although the judge granted Jade Skye's restraining order against the music mogul, Burna has denied the allegations.

               "Of course he did," I scoffed.

               "This shit crazy," Xavier sat on the bed beside me. "You talk to Jade?"

               "No, I haven't spoke to her since she moved to New York. Only with sending pictures of the kids." I sent the article in our Groupchat and the eyes emoji. "She never talked about the divorce. I kept up with it thru TMZ honestly. She's been silent about it."

               "You think Cairo really done that?" Xavier asked.

               "Of course he did."

               "That's yo' brotha. Sound like you chose yo' side."

               "Brother or not, I would never side with a man that lay his hands on women. Cairo's wrong."

               "Ain't my business."

               "We have to start packing," I switched topics. "When is the pilot coming?"

               "He just waiting on us."

               "I'll get the kids up."

               I left out the room and to the second bedroom where Calen and Chloe slept. She was awake, laying silently, and sucking on her two fingers.

               "Coco, why didn't you tell me you were awake?" I picked her up and she wore her bonnet. "Morning kisses?"

               Chloe kissed me happily and embraced me. I smiled, "Yes! Good morning. We're about to go."

               "Mommy?" Calen turned over, "Good morning."

               "Morning baby. Get on up. We have to pack and leave. Go brush your teeth."

               Calen was tired but my five year old walked to the bathroom. I carried Chloe out as Xavier met up with me talking on his phone.

               "Yeah, here yo' moms go right here." Xavier gave me the phone and picked up Chloe.

               "Hi baby!" I stared at the screen at Zay on the FaceTime call, "Oh my Gosh, I miss you. How's Vanderbilt?"

               "Cool. My fault I couldn't be there for Cae-Cae birthday weekend. This coach no joke."

               "Calen was sad but he understands. He watched your game against Kentucky. He was excited about the win. I don't think he's used to you being in college yet."

               Zay chuckled. "He not. He FaceTime me at night."

               "I know. I'm really glad that you're still doing that for him. Now, you what about a girlfriend?"

               "Momma—"

               "I ain't tell her nothing!" Xavier put his head in the screen.

               "Yes he did."

               "It's...nothing serious right now." Zay said.

               "So there is a girl?"

               "Mind ya business." Xavier grabbed the phone. "Enjoy yourself son. We'll call you when we land."

               Zay chuckled a little. "Okay, love y'all."

               "Love you!" We chimed in unison.

               "So he really does have a girlfriend?"

               "Like he said, it's not serious." Xavier defended.

               After a while, we all had our suitcases packed and onto the private jet. We were cruising in the air when Xavier came and sat beside me.

               "They both knocked out," he chuckled. "You would think they just worked a ten-hour shift."

               I chuckled too. "Well I'll let them sleep. We have six more hours on this flight. At least they ate."

               "Right. What's this? It's nice." Xavier asked, referring to my oversized, golden yellow blouse and wide legged, elongated bottoms.

               "Hanifa." I named the clothing line, "Seen the outfits on Instagram and thought I'd order one."

               "It's nice." Xavier grabbed my left hand and rubbing his thumb across my empty fingers. "I can't wait to see that ring back on your finger."

               "You'll be waiting a while." I slipped my hand from his hold, "I was serious when I said I'm not rushing back into this. I'm taking my time and I definitely deserve that."

               "Yes, you do." He locked gazes with me, "And I'm okay with that. I meant it when I said I'll wait however long it takes. You're the love of my life, and I fucked up majority of our marriage and I'm going to fix what I broke."

               I believe he would. But the question is, could he?

               It was near midnight when we pulled up to me and my mother's Creekside home. Xavier helped me carry the kids into their bedrooms and just like any other night I walked Xavier out. He turned around and faced me, letting out a heavy breath.

               "I really enjoyed our time."

               "Yeah, well, we have to be cordial for our children."

               "Yeah." Xavier pulled me in, hugging me for a long moment. He was reeling back slowly, settling his face in front of mine and start leaning in.

               Before his lips were able to touch mine, I said, "Good night."

               Xavier chuckled softly and averted his lips to my cheek, placing a kiss there. "Night baby."

               I watched Xavier get into the Suburban until it pulled down the road and I locked the door. I turned around when my mother was coming down the stairs near the front door.

               "How was Maui?" She asked tying her floral pattern robe.

               "Good. Calen really enjoyed himself."

               "I'm glad." She stared at me and I knew she had more to say. "And you and Xavier?"

               "Still taking it slow." I sat at the bottom of the steps, "I'm not rushing into it this time. I'm letting him fix himself. And speaking of that, he wants me to join him with talking to his parents."

               "Oh, hell no!" My mother disapproved instantly, "You not going around those sick ass people."

               "I'm going to support Xavier."

               "Xavier a grown-ass man," She remarked. "He's more than capable of talking to his parents by himself without involving you. Shit, he don't even fuck with them. He ain't seen them in how long? Five, six years, if not longer?"

               "Something like that."

               "I mean, the man doesn't even use they last name. He took his grandmother name to not be connected with them." My mother continued.

               "The world's aware of who Xavier's parents are. We dealt with that his rookie season."

               "I remember—Dallas Cobras Rookie Player, Xavier Rhodes the Son of Pimp and Madam. How they even find that out?"

               "That's the part of becoming a celebrity. Nothing's secret."

               "Well, you need to stay away from that family." My mother expressed, "I love my grandchildren but I still can't believe you attached yourself to that family. Y'all's blood now."

               "My kids are their blood. But I don't let that family around mine."

               "And don't need to." She folded her arms, "I hear Jade's back."

               "Yeah, with a restraining order on Cairo." That reminded me to check our Groupchat and we were all waiting on a response from Jade who didn't. "We still haven't heard from her."

               "She just needs some space. Divorce isn't easy. And if what I've seen online about how hard he's making it for her, she dealing it that. She'll reach out and talk when she's ready."

               "Are you shocked about the abuse?" I asked.

               "Of course not." How quick she answered made my brows raise, "Halle and Ekon's relationship wasn't perfect. Plenty of black eyes and swollen lips I iced for her." She sat beside me on steps, "Ekon's wasn't always that way though. But when he was injured at work, Halle became the breadwinner and you know how that go. A man's ego gets bruised and they lose control, act out. He start drinking like crazy, beating her more, and one day, he just disappeared. Ya daddy told me he moved back to Nigeria."

               "Yeah. Cairo told me once then never spoke about it again. He actually doesn't mention Uncle Ekon at all."

               "Well, when you become identical to a man like Ekon, you wouldn't want to mention him either. It's definitely best he stay in Nigeria."

               "Right." I yawned, "Hopefully Jade responds in the morning. But until then I'm jet lagged. I'm going to bed." I raised up as I planted a kiss on my mother's cheek, "Night. Love you."

               "Love you."

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170 31 13
BASED ON A TRUE STORY !!
16 0 14
Stories about other M.U High characters.
129K 3.5K 23
𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑 π‹πžπ’π₯𝐚 𝐖𝐫𝐒𝐠𝐑𝐭 𝐑𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐫 π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐑𝐞𝐫 π›πžπ¬π­ 𝐟𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐧𝐝 π›πžπŸπ¨π«πž 𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐈 𝐝...
1.3K 79 36
Drama, love, heartbreak, friendship. Soon, things will change for the group of friends! Will everyone be able to get through the worst of times? See...