Trial & Error

By KYNDIOR

Four beautiful African American best friends navigate their own trial and error through modern day society. More

Trial and Error
1 | Jade
2 | Caren
3 | Joie
4 | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
30 | Jade
31 | Caren
32 | Joie
33 | Andi
34 | Jade
35 | Caren
37 | Andi
38 | Jade
39 | Caren
40 | Joie
41 | Andi
42 | Jade
43 | Caren
44 | Joie
45 | Andi
46 | Jade
47 | Caren
48 | Joie
49 | Andi
50 | Jade
51 | Caren
52 | Joie
53 | Andi
II | Jade
II | Caren
II | Joie
II | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
29 | Jade
30 | Caren
31 | Joie
32 | Andi
33 | Jade
34 | Caren
35 | Joie
36 | Andi
37 | Jade
38 | Caren
39 | Joie
40 | Andi
41 | Jade
42 | Caren
43 | Joie
44 | Andi
45 | Jade
46 | Caren
47 | Joie
48 | Andi
Epilogue
𝐓&𝐄-𝐈𝐈

36 | Joie

2K 267 99
By KYNDIOR

I cleared my throat as I rubbed my hands down my pencil skirt and made sure my hair was straight before I pushed forward down the hall to the next office that has the door open. I knocked on it rhythmically and smiled when she looked at me from the laptop screen.

"Hey, Care-bear." I walked in further, "Don't you just love how I can come bother you during work?"

Caren smiled in return. "It's nice actually, especially seeing that your skirt is on backwards. Doesn't the zipper go in the back?"

I done a quick glance down to find the zipper on the front. "Oh my God." I chuckled, fixing the skirt the correct way. "This is embarrassing."

"Kyle must've came by." Caren stated.

"Uh, yeah." I groaned softly, plopping down on the quilted sofa in her office. "We were supposed to just talk about the food drive coming up this weekend that Joie-N-Change is partnering with the boxing gym, then he was smelling good and looking even better. One thing led to another, my legs were bent behind my head and he took me all over my desk." I bit my bottom lip, still feeling his strong hands on me and feel of him inside me.

"Did y'all get some planning done for it?" Caren asked.

I raised upright on the sofa. "Some. I'm gonna FaceTime 'em tonight and finish. I can't be around his fine ass." I admitted.

"So, no more Jaceon?" Caren wondered.

"I mean, I like him; sex is great. But I'm not in the business of being in a relationship with a celebrity, especially someone as fine as him. I can't do it. And before you ask, no, I haven't told him. At least not yet."

"You should tell him before he tries inviting on some Valentine's Day dinner tomorrow."

"Eh." I let out a deep breath, "What do you have planned for V-day?"

"Honey, I'm a soon-to-be divorcee, I'm not worried about no Valentine's Day."

"You don't be sexually frustrated?" I asked. "I mean, I don't like Xavier, but he still your husband, which means that dick. Go hop on it for the one time and leave."

"Still my dick." She repeated, laughing sarcastically. "Sixteen years of our marriage it ain't been, so, I highly doubt that. Besides, I'm not tryna complicate anything."

"So don't complicate it." I shrugged, "Just leave before he wake up."

"Not happening." Caren responded quickly. "Anyways, have you spoke to Jade recently?"

"Not since her EP came out. I called and congratulated her. I take it you have. You know how much closer you and she is."

"Much like you and Andi." She stated, honestly I could agree. Caren and Jade had a friendship with one another in college before we met her, so it was practically a given that their friendship was closer and they confide in each other.

"But I asked because..." Caren continued, sighing. "Jade's really going through a lot. Like, a lot. She showed up the other day at five in the morning, terrified. Next few hours Cairo shows up, demanding to come in. I wasn't going to let him. But—"

"That's your brotha and you have a soft spot for him." I completed what I assumed she would say.

"Yeah, no. My father saw him, inviting him in. She held my hand so tight when he touched her, Joie. She was fucking scared and I feel so stupid for not outing him right there in front of my father."

"Did she leave with him?" I asked and Caren nodded in response. "So, what good would it have done with you outing him for abusing her? I've told you before, if she's not ready to leave, it is nothing we can do, Care."

"I know." Caren sighed in defeat. "Pops said the same. I didn't tell him who. But he knows it's one of my friends and told me not to get in the middle. She has to leave when she's ready. He's controlling her with Margo and will do the same with their baby."

"And it's gonna take her to realize that and be strong enough not to allow it to." I preached, "The only thing we can do is be there for her when she actually does leave."

Caren appeared thoughtful. "Right. No, you're right."

"What about that woman in Atlanta he was caught with? She didn't mention it?"

"Nope. He probably gave her some bullshit excuse." Caren waved it off dismissively. "I know we all tried to call her that day. We can try again today. Or invite her out once she's back in town. Clear her mind. And let's try not to mention her situation."

"Fine. Let's do a girl's trip somewhere next weekend." I threw out a suggestion. "We've all need a break. I can ask Momma to look after the kids for me. We need to go somewhere sunny and freeing. Just us ladies."

"That sounds great to me." She released a breath. "With this damn divorce process, I could use a short vacay."

"Great." I clasped my hands, standing from the sofa. "I will start the planning. And don't trip, this weekend vacay is on me."

"Where you going?" Her question paused me at the door. "We still have something to discuss. Come sit."

I crossed over to the chair ahead of her desk. "Yes mother?"

"Have you spoke to your mother?" Caren asked.

"To Tanika? Absolutely not."

Caren sighed softly. "Joie, you said you would try therapy. I could do it for you. But honestly, I don't like Tanika as much as you knowing what she and Joel put you through. My judgement would be too biased."

I breathed out sharply, dropping my head to stare at the ceiling. "You know I hate reliving shit."

"I know. This could be good, though, Jojo. It's best to release."

"I hear you. Believe me." I groaned, "I deal with that when the time come. You been here a week now. How you like working here? The girl's been being nice?"

Caren chuckled. "Some. I can handle the smart mouthed ones. It's not easy to open up to someone, especially where we come from. They remind me of someone I know."

She cleared her throat, nodding subtly at me, making me laugh. "I know you talking about me bitch."

Caren laughed with me and I continued. "Well I'll leave you to it. I gotta plan some more for this food drive. Love ya Care-bear."

"Love you, Jojo."

I was walking the path towards when I seen Aqua and Tanika approaching the same direction. Aqua was the first to notice me, making their way over to me, as I slowed my pace.

"I've been calling you." Aqua mentioned as soon as they reached me.

"I've been busy." My eyes fell on Tanika. She was dressed nice and her full body of hair appeared healthy, falling onto her shoulders. "You bombarding me with her again."

"Doesn't she look great?" Aqua smiled, offering Tanika a stare down of approval. "I took her to buy some new clothes, get her hair and nails done, even a facial."

"How did you manage to do that? Show her off to some of your dealer friends?" I directed the question to Tanika, specifically, then continued walking between them.

"God, no, Joie." Tanika said, following behind me with Aqua. I rolled my eyes, hearing her voice behind me while entering my office. "Aqua just wanted me to look nice to come see you in person. Last time—"

"You looked exactly like a woman that's been gone for the last ten years." I interrupted. "No reason to look good for me. I'm not fucking you."

"Jojo, can you at least hear her out?" Aqua practically begged.

"What's there to say, Aqua?" I chuckled, leaning back on my desk as I faced she and Tanika. "Huh, Tanika? You wanna apologize for leaving? I mean, that's not the first time you've done it. Did you tell her how you left me the first time to take care of Joel?" I nodded to Aqua. "I was only seven, dragging drunk Joel off the porch and cleaning his puke. Or how about the fact I was the child you showed off to dealers to cop?"

I watched as Tanika swallowed hard and Aqua staring down out of my peripherals. "I-I'm sorry, Joie. I'm trying to make this right with you."

Aqua came beside Tanika. "If I can forgive her. Can't you?"

Tanika smiled hopeful, while I laughed hysterically.

"Oh my God! You..." I continued laughing, my stomach muscles tightening. They stared at me not knowing my reaction. "You stabbed me, nearly suffocated me, cut all my hair off in elementary, hit me with your car, and you want me to fucking forgive you?"

"Joie! I was high those times!" Tanika defended.

"Whew!" I breathed as I finally stopped laughing. "You stabbing me, you were high. You damn near suffocated me sober because you told me I was ruining your fun. You were sober when you cut my hair. And you were sober when you hit me with your car because I tried stopping you from coping drugs." I stood directly in front of Tanika, expressionless. "The only reason I'm not taking all this anger I feel out on your face is because for some reason I still have this respect for you. I see you, Tanika. You cannot play me how you're doing Aqua right now. I refuse to give you another chance to damage me. And Aqua, you better open your eyes while you still can."

"My eyes are open and I'm refusing to turn my back on our mother." Aqua grabbed Tanika's hand. "Come on mommy. We can go now."

"All I want is a new start of a relationship with you, Joie. No ulterior motives."

I scoffed at Tanika's statement. "You are an ulterior movement. Do me a favor and don't show up at my place of business anymore."

"She won't. You don't care. We get it." Aqua left with Tanika, closing the door behind themselves.

My poker face dropped immediately, letting out a shaky breath. I could feel my true emotions brewing through my bloodstreams about being in close quarters as Tanika.

It made me angrily knock everything off my desk.

"Fuck!"

Some hours later, I was home cooking for the kids when someone knocked on the front door.

"Be careful peeling potatoes girls." I told Heidi and Misty as I approached the door. "Who is it?"

No one answered, but I proceeded with opening the front door. I was taken aback by who was on the porch.

"Jaceon?"

He leaned off the wall, smiling. "How you doin?"

"Good. What...are you doing here?"

"Come by to see you." His hazel gaze looked in mine.

"Well, I—"

"Can we mash the potatoes now!?" Misty's voice interrupted me, running up behind me. She squeezed under my arm to stand in front of me, staring up at Jaceon. "Hi! I'm Misty. I lost a tooth yesterday. See!"

She grinned wide, showcasing her missing front tooth as Jaceon stared at it. "I see. You know what that mean right?" Misty shook her head so he responded. "You're officially a big girl now."

"I'mma big girl, sissy." Misty smiled leaning back on me. "Are you staying—Wait, what's your name?"

"I'm Jaceon. You must be the sister Joie brags about."

"Yeah, I'm her favorite. Are you staying for dinner? Sissy's making meatloaf."

Jaceon looked at me. "Uh, that's if your sister will allow me."

"Can he please?" Misty asked staring up at me and whispered, "he's handsome."

I chuckled a little. "Sure. If you would like to."

"Well, I am hungry."

I allowed Jaceon in, then returned to kitchen.

"This is Gunner and Heidi. Gunner and Heidi, Jaceon." I introduced them.

Gunner's protective ways kicked in. "I do boxing now. So that means I can beat you up." he threatened.

Jaceon chuckled. "I get you homie. Yes sir."

I let out a short chuckle, continuing to cook. After it was finished, we all ate, then the kids were bathed and laid down to sleep. I rejoined Jaceon down in the kitchen.

"You know you didn't have to clean those."

Jaceon finished the last plate, then faced me. "Least I could do. They was bomb. You make yours just right."

"Thank Misty." I leaned on the counter beside him, "She invited you technically."

Jaceon smirked, drying his hands. "You ain't want me to stay?"

"I mean, it was nice that you did." I admit, "They think you're cool. I just don't want you to take this all wrong."

"Whatchu mean?"

I remembered the conversation with Caren earlier. "Listen, I can't date someone like you."

"Someone like me?" he repeated, trashing the paper towel. "Should I be offended?"

"Not like that." I clarified instantly, "Just...someone in your career. A celebrity. I like my privacy. And someone dating a celebrity never has privacy."

"So, we keep it private." he exhaled from his nose, standing directly in front of me. "Or..." he placed his palms flat on the counter on each sides of me, "You just don't wanna drop yo side niggas?"

I smirked. "That could be possible."

He smirked too, raising me on top of the counter. "How bout I convince you on what you could have to yourself?" he proposed, loosening the string of my sweatpants.

I shook my head, smiling. "I don't like you."

"You'll learn." he kissed me passionately.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Oohhhh 🙂🤫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

644 44 17
"Relationships," he starts. "They can either go horribly wrong or very right." COMPLETED
42.4K 1K 23
...
834 156 12
Three best friends. Three girls that they don't think they'll ever have a chance with. Years later Love finds them.
3.2M 118K 61
πšˆπ™Ύπš„'πšπ™΄ π™Όπšˆ πš‚π™°π™»πš…π™°π™Άπ™΄, πšˆπ™Ύπš„'πšπ™΄ π™Όπšˆ 𝙱𝙰𝙻𝙰𝙽𝙲𝙴