Trial & Error

By KYNDIOR

Four beautiful African American best friends navigate their own trial and error through modern day society. More

Trial and Error
1 | Jade
2 | Caren
3 | Joie
4 | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
30 | Jade
32 | Joie
33 | Andi
34 | Jade
35 | Caren
36 | Joie
37 | Andi
38 | Jade
39 | Caren
40 | Joie
41 | Andi
42 | Jade
43 | Caren
44 | Joie
45 | Andi
46 | Jade
47 | Caren
48 | Joie
49 | Andi
50 | Jade
51 | Caren
52 | Joie
53 | Andi
II | Jade
II | Caren
II | Joie
II | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
29 | Jade
30 | Caren
31 | Joie
32 | Andi
33 | Jade
34 | Caren
35 | Joie
36 | Andi
37 | Jade
38 | Caren
39 | Joie
40 | Andi
41 | Jade
42 | Caren
43 | Joie
44 | Andi
45 | Jade
46 | Caren
47 | Joie
48 | Andi
Epilogue
๐“&๐„-๐ˆ๐ˆ

31 | Caren

1.8K 291 65
By KYNDIOR

               I had Chloe securely buckled in her car seat in my father's Rams 1500 truck to return she and Calen to their Grandmother before Xavier came back in another hour. But Calen was still inside making me walk to the door. "Calen! Come on now! We have to go!"

               "I'm ain't done!" he hollered.

               "Bring it with you!"

               I went to my father's truck, climbing inside with the big ignition already started. Shortly after my father coming out with Calen sitting on his shoulders and snickering. My father held his arms out as if he was an airplane making me smile. He stopped at backdoor and opened it sitting Calen on the seat. "And we have landed."

               "Seatbelt."

               "Yup, seatbelt." My father buckled him in. "What do Paw-Paw always tell you and Zay?"

               "We are kings and we po-tect mommy and Coco!" Calen recited excitedly making my father chuckle.

               "That's right. I love you. . You love Paw-Paw?"

               "Yeah, I love Paw-Paw!"

               "Good. Gimme a hug." My father grunted playfully as they embraced one another. "Alright, I'll see you soon."

               "Okay, bye, Paw-Paw."

               My father closed the door and stood at the driver side to speak with me. "You be careful."

               "I will, Dad. I should be back in about forty minutes."

               "I'll be up waiting." he assured before returning in the house.

               I drove twenty minutes to a city located in Dallas County and to a Hackberry Creek, a gated community Xavier's nanny Glenn resides in. I pulled in the driveway of the one-story brick house, parking. Calen was sleep when I prepared to get them out. I carried a sleeping Calen on one side and Chloe's car seat on the other. I approached the entrance when the door snatched open and Xavier angrily stood there.

               "Here we go." I mumbled low under my breath. "I thought you were outta town."

               "Yeah, I got back here a hour early just to find out you and the fuckin' nanny in cahoots."

               I rolled my eyes as he grabbed sleeping Calen. "It's not about fucking cahoots. It's about her knowing how much me being around means to them and you don't care because you're too busy being evil. I have a four week old that I am breastfeeding, but I still drop her the fuck off and pump more than just to bring her here. But do your selfish ass give a fuck? No. Take her."

               Xavier retrieved Chloe's car seat and I dropped the diaper bag on the porch purposely. "Breast milk is in there. Have fucking at it, selfish dick."

               I was hopping in the truck when Xavier caught a hold to the door. "You wanted this divorce, Caren. Whatchu think, shit 'posed to be sweet?"

               "It doesn't have to be. But don't fucking use our kids to hurt me because you're not doing anything but hurting them. You wanna feel like this superior guy and do what you doing to me when you really only showing how much of a pussy bitch you really are. I could go to the media and fucking destroy you. But that's not in me to do that to you because I actually give a fuck unlike you."

               "If you give a fuck then why the fuck you walkin' away?" he walked closer to be in my face, "For eighteen years—"

               I pulled my head back, frowning. "You can stop the fuck there because for sixteen of those years you been fucking around on me and I stayed and dealt with it because of the love I have for you. No anymore. That's over with. Fuck you, Xavier fucking Rhodes."

               I shoved him as hard as I could and slammed the door shut. I pulled off in my father's truck leaving him standing in the driveway. I couldn't believe I fell in love with an individual like him.

               I would get on a job and prove to myself I can raise my kids alone.

               The next morning my father drove me around to apply for psychology positions at any building that was hiring. I needed a job immediately. My focus was on my phone scrolling on Google for our next stop when I felt the truck reversing and I looked up recognizing the street. "What are we doing at JoieNChange?"

               "A birdie told me they hiring a psychologist." My father informed as he successfully parallel parked the big truck and we both got out.

               "A birdie huh? You mean Joie." I walked along the sidewalk with him, "Y'all always having secretive conversations about me."

               "She my second daughter. That's what we 'posed to do." My father opened the door for me and I walked into the welcoming building of my best friends.

               The receptionist recognized me and smiled. "Hi, Caren."

               "Hey, Shannon. Joie's here correct?"

               "Yes, she's actually waiting on you. You guys can head on back."

               "Thank you, Shannon." My father followed me to Joie's office and he knocked rhythmically on the door making her look up. "Hey, Jojo."

               "Hey!" Joie smiled coming us for an embrace.

               I assumed she would hug me, but she dodged me and embraced my father. "Oh my God! I haven't seen you in forever, Pop."

               "Well, damn bitch, fuck me."

               "Girl shut up." Joie gave me a playful push before hugging me. "I haven't seen Pop in so long. How much longer are you in town?"

               My father and me sat in the chairs. "A few more days. Not too long."

               Joie reclaimed her seat. "I wish you could move back. You're all in Germany, away from us."

               "Yeah, I'm considering returning."

               "No, do."

               "That's what I said..." I concurred. "But I hear you and Dad here have been talking behind my back about this recent position."

               "What position?"

               I can tell by the smile threatening to creep on her lips that she was playing dumb. "Girl stop playing."

               "Okaaayyy!" Joie rolled her eyes playfully, "Yes, JoieNChange does have a psychology position open and the position is yours. No interview."

               "That's the easy route, Joie."

               "So what, Caren. You need this job. Fuck how easy it may be to get it. I already have your name plate being made. So it's really not up for discussion. You're hired." Joie smiled.

               "You're so annoying." I snickered, "But thank you."

               "Of course. I should bust you in the lip for not coming sooner. But I understand. Thankful for Pop coming to town."

               "So how you been Joie?" My father asked.

               "I been good. I'm raising my sister and brother now."

               "Gunner and Misty?" My father inquired and she nodded, "Oh that's dope. They needed that. Joel still must be on the same of course."

               "He is. Oh my God, I forgot to tell you. He had the nerve to come over my place the other night drunk, screaming outside. The police was called and he had the nerve to tell them I kidnapped Gunner and Misty."

               My eyebrows raised instantly. "He done what!?"

               "Yes, he did that." Joie confirmed. "So I let his ass stay over and he had the audacity to steal my TV and meat out the freezer. Girl! I beat his ass when I seen him at the bar."

               My father laughed. "Not you fought him."

               "Yes, I punched him dead in his face. Cause he wrong. I let you into my home after you told two white cops I kidnapped my brother and sister. They could've seriously took me no jail if Gunner wasn't outside."

               I shook my head. "They really could've."

               "He's so sick. And you won't even believe who else was there."

               I had no ideas. "Who?"

               "Fucking Tanika."

               Now that was appalling information. "Tanika, Tanika?"

               "Yes, my birth giver Tanika." Joie reaffirmed. "She followed me out talking about she wanted to talk. I don't have shit to say to her. I left her in the dust."

               "Not left her in the dust, chile. I know she's your mother, but what could she have to say to you after leaving you all of those years?"

               "I don't know, and honestly, I don't care if it is an apology."

               "Not even for closure?" My father wondered.

               "I wouldn't mind the closure, Pop, but I know Tanika to the T. I know her more than she knows herself." Joie expressed, "This isn't the first time she's left me out to dry and fiend for myself and to take care of Joel. This is just the longest she's ever been gone. Then outta nowhere she return, tell me how sorry she is while letting out crocodile tears, and convince me to let her back in until she does some bullshit again. I cannot handle that no more. I want her to stay where she's at and I stay where I am."

               "I understand completely." My father said. "But you do know she not going to leave you alone, right? She's gonna go through Aqua first because she knows you two have a relationship."

               Joie shrugged. "She can try all she wants to. But when I say I have washed my hands with her, I mean it."

               "It's going to take a lot for her to be forgiven. So I get it."

               "Yeah. Enough about her. Let me show you where y'all office will be honey." Joie stood up, smiling.

               After Joie showed me where my office resided and filled out paperwork, my father and me head back to my mother's residence. She was awaiting our arrival in the kitchen preparing the meal she was cooking today.

               "Any good news?" My mother questioned.

               "Yup. I gotta job and start next week, Monday, nine a.m. sharp."

               "I know that's right girl." My mother offered me a high five. "I should've know Joie would come thru."

               I realized what she said. "Wait a minute. Pause. You spoke to her too?"

               "We both did." My mother affirmed. "You need to get on somewhere fast and she's been holding that position for you for a while. She just wasn't going to bring it up to you because she knows how you can get."

               "Stubborn as hell." My father added making me toss him a playful slap to the arm.

               "Y'all annoying."

               My father walked over to my mother hugging her from behind. "Boy if you don't move."

               My father chuckled keeping his arms around her. "Stop acting like you don't like me on you, Davina. Look at her smile, babygirl. You see this."

               I eyed my mother and witnessed her try to hide her smile. "Y'all talking about I'm stubborn. Y'all stubborn. Been legally married all these years and separated. I'm thinking y'all divorced."

               "Yeah bout that shit..." My father released her as he smirked. "You told the whole South Side we divorced?"

               "No. I told my sister and she must've told everybody."

               "Not you told Stella that shit. Y'know she gotta big ass mouth."

               My mother smacked his arm. "Don't talk about my sister. What you expect though, Deon? You all the way in Germany. I'm not movin' there. So getting legally separated was the best option. You going to Germany wasn't our only problem either, so don't forget that."

               "Listen, I never claimed to be a saint." My father gestured to himself, "Why you think I tell our daughter's not to put they trust in no man? Because I know what I've done to hurt you. I know how I fucked up."

               "Glad you know 'cause I definitely wasn't sticking around for yo' bullshit. That's what I told Caren and Kae all of the time. He wanna step out, you not obligated to stick around. Kae received the message. Now Caren, well, she understand now."

               "Not 'Caren, well,'" I laughed. "The shade, Momma, damn."

               "I'm just being honest honey. Like I told you, you take after your Meemee. And that's okay...for you and her."

               "Yeaah, well, I'm done with it now. I got this job, about to work my behind off to get my kids under my roof, and wait patiently for me to become Anderson again."

               "Anderson's rule huh?" My father offered his hand high to me.

               "Yes, Daddy." I chuckled slapping my hand with his. "I'm going to lay down. I'm tired. Wake me up when the food's done please?"

               "I got you, babygirl."

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 352 17
๐ŸŽก๐– ต ๐™๐™„๐™‰๐™„ ๐˜ผ๐™ ๐“„น แฌ two best friends, turned loves, turned exes, turned strictly best friends, fall for each other all over again. ** ๐™Ž๐™๐˜ผ๐™...
179 44 18
The tale of betrayal , revenge and love .
644 44 17
"Relationships," he starts. "They can either go horribly wrong or very right." COMPLETED
175 31 14
BASED ON A TRUE STORY !!