Trial & Error

By KYNDIOR

Four beautiful African American best friends navigate their own trial and error through modern day society. More

Trial and Error
1 | Jade
3 | Joie
4 | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
30 | Jade
31 | Caren
32 | Joie
33 | Andi
34 | Jade
35 | Caren
36 | Joie
37 | Andi
38 | Jade
39 | Caren
40 | Joie
41 | Andi
42 | Jade
43 | Caren
44 | Joie
45 | Andi
46 | Jade
47 | Caren
48 | Joie
49 | Andi
50 | Jade
51 | Caren
52 | Joie
53 | Andi
II | Jade
II | Caren
II | Joie
II | Andi
5 | Jade
6 | Caren
7 | Joie
8 | Andi
9 | Jade
10 | Caren
11 | Joie
12 | Andi
13 | Jade
14 | Caren
15 | Joie
16 | Andi
17 | Jade
18 | Caren
19 | Joie
20 | Andi
21 | Jade
22 | Caren
23 | Joie
24 | Andi
25 | Jade
26 | Caren
27 | Joie
28 | Andi
29 | Jade
30 | Caren
31 | Joie
32 | Andi
33 | Jade
34 | Caren
35 | Joie
36 | Andi
37 | Jade
38 | Caren
39 | Joie
40 | Andi
41 | Jade
42 | Caren
43 | Joie
44 | Andi
45 | Jade
46 | Caren
47 | Joie
48 | Andi
Epilogue
๐“&๐„-๐ˆ๐ˆ

2 | Caren

3.2K 364 205
By KYNDIOR

"Man, It's always the same fuckin' shit witchu."

I paused, Tupperware in my hand of leftover food I cooked hours before, I pulled my head back as my expression scowled. "The fuck did you say?" My question came out aggressive, as I slammed the refrigerator door.

My husband, Xavier Rhodes—athletic build, six foot five, and carob brown skin—leaned on the island counter wearing designer sweatpants and no shirt, letting his wide shoulders and chiseled muscles be exposed in front of me. Both of his arms and chest were covered in meaningful tattoos.

I let the Tupperware fall on the counter. "Always the same shit?" I reiterated, "It is always the same shit witchu, punk ass."

He paused chewing, deadpanning when I pushed him and I continued. "I do this cause of you! You didn't come home last night and got the audacity to walk yo big ass in this mufucka in the evening of the next goddamn day, eating the food I cooked. You can't even tell me the truth and let me know where you were."

"I told you, it got late and I stayed over Alec's in the den."

I eyed him, unbelievably. "You stayed over Alec's in the den? So why I call Sasha tell me you wasn't there. But guess who was there? Alec! Come with something else smarter."

"She was fuckin' asleep when I got there so of course she aint know."

"Oh, now she was sleep?"

The arrogance in his head nod sent off my emotions and I pushed the plate from his hand, the glass shattering and food covering the floor, as I pointed my finger in his face angrily. "Stop fucking lying to me, X. Stop. If you were with another bitch, then just say that shit. Don't look me in my eyes, standing here as if it's me that's tripping, and lie to me. Tell me the truth."

He stared down at me in a calm state. "I wasn't wit no other bitch. I was over—"

My annoyed groan interrupted him. "If you say Alec one more time, Xavier, I'm going to punch you dead in your mouth. I swear."

X's tongue passed over his lips. "What I need to cheat on you for when I got you in front of me, Caren? My wife, my Queen, the mother of my kids."

I sucked my teeth. "Oh, shut the fuck up with that "My wife; my queen" bullshit because it's not working today. You been having this wife, this queen for eighteen fucking years and that ain't stop yo ass from fucking those thirsty ass bitches you fucked on the road. So don't hit me with that anymore because I'm not that young naive woman no more."

"I never said you was naive."

"That's what you believe, though." I retorted, "I'm pregnant with your third child, Xavier. Third! You just keep on doing the same shit. Saying you stayed over Alec's cause it got too late. They live, what, ten mufucking blocks from here? You could've drove home, idiot. You tell that lie to whichever bitch's house you was really at last night."

I walked out of his face, retrieving the Tupperware, and placing it in the refrigerator. "So you gon' make me another plate?" he asked behind me.

"I can boil some grease and throw it in yo face." I said, footing to leave the kitchen. "That's what I can do for yo lying ass."

Xavier caught my arm before I could leave the kitchen. I sucked my teeth, trying to fight against his touch, but he kept hold to me. "I'm sorry for not coming home. Owning majority holds of a NBA team not no simple shit, Caren. Not to mention handling the creative side to it, too. I gotta do late nights there. If not me having to sleep on the couch in my office. I retired for this. Now you mad that I'm making sure I keep this big ass house above our heads and that designer shit in our closets."

I scoffed, shoving him and he stumbled slightly to the island counter. "I'm so close to punching you in yo mouth because you and these excuses you're tryna put out there is pitiful. You doing all of this talking but not saying shit at fucking all. Stay away from me for the rest of the evening, Xavier."

I walked out of his face and to the upper level of the mansion. I halt at one of the bedrooms, leaning on the doorframe, and peering in on our three year old toddler, Calen, as he laid comfortably on his modern bunkbed, watching Fat Albert on the mounted flatscreen ahead. On either side of the bunkbed were matching gray laminate bookcases, displaying the various toys and child books he had me read every night and his room bathed in plenty of light from the windows.

"I surely don't see you pulling out your sleepwear." My words got his attention and he giggled. "Mmhm. You know what time it is."

Calen pointed at the flatscreen. "Albert still on."

"Yeah, I see that." I kneel carefully in front of the under-bed drawers containing his sleepwear, underwear, and socks.

"It go off, I get it."

"Agreed." I nod, pulling out folded PAW Patrol cotton pajamas, underwear, and ankle socks.

I start to stand when I felt mild cramping in my stomach. I breathed out sharply, rubbing my nine month belly in attempt to ease the uncomfortableness. My eyes were closed but when I felt another hand touch my stomach and they opened. Calen's laying at the foot of the bed and eying me in concern.

"You kay, Momma?"

The feeling settled and I smiled to ease Calen's worry. "I'm fine, baby."

"When my baby sister come?" Calen asked as he always do.

"Next week. Mommy is scheduled to be induced."

"Oh yeah!" he remembered, falling silent and by the way his short fingers tapped his cheek, he had a question brewing. "What's induce, again?"

"Since Mommy is overdue, Doctor Chaves is gonna help me get the baby out of my tummy so your sister can finally come."

"I gonna be good big brother!" Calen announced happily.

"The best." I smile, leaning forward and kissing his forehead. I raise from the rug with a soft grunt. "After Albert is over, bath time."

"Yes ma'am."

I walked to me and my husband's master bedroom, personally designed for us by a celebrity interior designer. It has expensive cashmere, fine wools, and silk elegantly meshing throughout the bedroom. I decided to gather the extra-large Michael Kors travel-bag and everything I need to pack up the hospital bag and start putting it together as I sat on the plush rug. My phone buzzed beside me just as my husband entered the room.

I eyed the incoming FaceTime, and answered while saying, "Why don't you be a good boy and go help Calen bathe."

"Who you talkin' to?" My husband asked.

"You. Calen needs to bathe. You can still handle that, right?"

He released a sharp breath, shaking his head. "You not finna keep talkin' to me like no li'l ass boy." he said as he left our room.

"I will talk to you however the fuck I want to until you stop lying!" I shouted behind him.

Snickering came from my phone. "You are so mean."

I looked at Jade on my screen. "I'm not mean. I'm just sick of the lying bullshit. Until he learns how to tell the truth, I'm gonna treat him like a boy."

"I cannot with you." She chuckled, "What you doing?"

"Packing this bag for the hospital, finally. Whatcha doing?"

"Bored." Jade yawned, "Grammys are tomorrow."

"I know. I'm gone watching; hoping to see you on red carpet."

"You shall see. You been having anymore Braxton Hicks?"

"I had a mild one not too long ago; nothing major."

"Man, you bet not go into labor while I'm out here. I'm gone be salty."

I chuckle, packing the comfy gown for me after labor. "You have nothing to worry about. I'm not scheduled to be induced until next week."

"Still. You pass due, so you can really go into labor tomorrow. We're still on your doctor list to call?"

"Aside from my mother, yes. You, Andi, and Joie are on the list." I let Jade know before switching subjects. "How was the Carter's party? You got off the phone so abruptly with Big Daddy Cairo interrupting."

"When does he not?" Jade rolled her eyes, "But it was a nice party; good energy."

"Mmhm. . I seen you and Beyoncé pics. They was cute, but tell her I'm sharing you with enough best friend's. We ain't adding a fifth. Beyoncé or not, honey."

Jade laughed. "You so silly."

I eyed the screen. "You looking pretty to be laying down." My smile vanished slowly when I seen a bruise mark on the wrist of her hand resting under her head. "What happen to your wrist, Jay?"

Jade appeared confused, eying her wrist. Before I could hear her response, my attention was pulled when I heard, "Why you sitting on the ground doing this crazy?"

Our first born, Xander—tall, nutmeg brown hue, and tapered curly tresses, was growing into a young man with a thin mustache and a deep toned voice. He chose to be athletic like his father but a opposite sport. I could recollect when it was him in my growing stomach and Calen's age. Now he was before me, his own car keys in his hand and four months away from leaving the nest to someone's college.

"It's comfy."

"I know that's not Zay with all that bass in his voice." Jade said on the FaceTime, calling his nickname.

Zay hugged me, kissing my cheek before he chuckled at Jade's comment. He waved at the phone. "Sup, Auntie. Where you at?"

"L.A. Grammy weekend." Jade responded. "I'll let y'all chat. I have to get ready for this other party."

Before I could question about her wrist again, she hung up to quickly. I let it go, putting my attention on Zay. "Where you coming from?"

"Hangin' with the guys." he replied, sitting in the loveseat ahead of me. "We practiced a little bit on the field. Y'know the Spring league starting next month. Y'all gone be there?"

"Of course. I already had Coach Douglas email the schedule." I fold more infant outfits for the bag, "You choose a college yet? I know you were stuck between Arkansas and Vanderbilt. They are the highest racking for your sport."

"Texas on the list too."

"I know. I just didn't mention it cause if I do it too much you not gone choose it and stay close to me." I admit, making him laugh.

"You really want me close."

I furrow my brows. "Of course I do. You're still my baby. I mean, who's gonna cook for you or wash you laundry?"

"I was taught my the best, Momma. I can do all of that."

"You right about that." I paused filling the bag, "Now let's talk about the birds and the bees."

Zay groaned, laughing. "Momma! I had that talk with Pop."

"Your father barely know what he talking about. Now—"

"Momma, please?" he interjected, "I still gotta few months and have to choose a college. Can we come to a agreement that I'll listen to this birds and the bees talk from my lovely mother's point of view when I do that. K?"

I squint my eyes, thoughtful for a second. "Fine. Raw and uncut."

Zay chuckled. "Raw and uncut."

Comfortable in my silk nightgown and bonnet, I lay on my side nearly asleep when I felt the bed dip in and a arm wrap around me. I keep my eyelids closed as he kissed my neck. "I'm sorry, baby." he apologized and keeps kissing me. I realized his hand exploring me and I chuckled inwardly.

"If you think you're getting some, you sadly mistaken." I shoved him off me as I stayed in my position. "The hell away from me, Xavier."

He scoffed, aggressively turning around and patting the pillow to annoy me. I refused to let him get a reaction out of me. All I wanted to do was sleep. I managed to get my shuteye and it felt short when my eyes opened when my husband's side of the bed dipped in and out. My eyes land on the nightstand's clock and it was midnight—the normal time I felt my husband thinking he was sneaking out the house without me knowing.

And while he slipped on a quick attire, quietly grabbed his car keys, and leaving out the garage to block me from overhearing the alarm chirp when the front door opens, I lie in the same position, eyes opened.

It was routine and he figured I had no idea.

Men are slow, stupid.

He's known me my whole life, and he completely forgot how vigilant and observant I am.

I could've woke up and cuss him out. But all I was worried about was my full bladder.

I raised underneath the comforter, sliding my feet into my slippers, and as soon as I stood a amount of fluid escapes between my legs. I stared down and sighed. "Great."

I reached for my phone on the nightstand and quick called my doctor. "Sorry to wake you, Doctor Chaves, my water just broke."

My water would break only minutes after my cheating husband crept out the house.

Some start for this new baby.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
2021 new 🤌🏾🤎 What are your first impression thoughts about Caren?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.6K 320 41
Three Bestfriends different life choices & mistakes.
14.8K 352 17
๐ŸŽก๐– ต ๐™๐™„๐™‰๐™„ ๐˜ผ๐™ ๐“„น แฌ two best friends, turned loves, turned exes, turned strictly best friends, fall for each other all over again. ** ๐™Ž๐™๐˜ผ๐™...
IAN By DIDI

Mystery / Thriller

258 54 34
A group of friends watch how their actions all unfold and lead to something they never dreamed of.
170 31 13
BASED ON A TRUE STORY !!