Stealing Glances || Anthony B...

By thepersonswhowrite

All her life, Calypso Nightingale has always lived in the shadows of her four older sisters. She stayed in th... More

Author's Note
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI

XII

11.8K 295 27
By thepersonswhowrite

Eyes of the Critics

James didn't lie when he said he'd meet me the next day. Like yesterday, he showed up early. He wore his well-ironed maroon suit, and black skintight pants which is quite new to look at.

"Hi," he waved as he was walking towards me.

I walked towards him, careful not to trip on my white dress, embroidered with golden lace which were intertwining to form flowers. It was a dress my mother had tailored for this season.

When we met in the middle of the cobblestones. I beamed a smile at him. "You're early."

"Didn't want to keep you waiting," he said while reaching out for my hand to gently kiss it. "I travelled with the best carriage we have, just so you would feel comfortable."

He looked back, and there was an extravagant carriage parked right outside. Upon seeing us looking at his direction, the coachman smiled and bowed.

I nodded to let him know I saw his polite gesture. "What are we waiting for?"

James positioned right beside me and held out his left elbow. I took that chance to intertwine my hands on his as we walked towards our ride.

The coachman sported an expensive suit, with protective gears on his knees and leather gloves. Just from looking at him, I knew that he's well taken care of by the Rosewood's and highly valued. The Rosewood's are quite well-known in the town for being extremely wealthy and generous. So, it wasn't a surprise that even their loyal workers were luxurious looking.

"To the park, Sir Edmund," James politely said to the coachman.

He nodded. "Noted, Sir James."

James helped me get inside the carriage which smelled heavenly. The cushions on the seat were even so soft like it hasn't been used for ages. Meanwhile, James settled right beside me.

Once we were comfortably seated, the coachman commanded the horse to start walking.

The road was smoother than expected. There wasn't any deep bumps on the road that completely shook the carriage. James and I conversed while we were heading towards the park. He recounted his horse story from yesterday and it was indeed funny.

The story went along the lines of him wetting his pants right after his horseriding lesson. And I can see why Hazel couldn't contain her laughter

The ride wasn't as long since the park was only a few kilometers away from our house. Once we arrived, James went out first and helped me maintain my balance as I got out.

Before walking, he instructed something on the coachman that I didn't quite hear. It probably was nothing, though. I didn't try to dwell on that thought.

The park was filled with beautiful maiden, and gentlemen. They were walking side by side, giggling and sharing conversations only them can hear. Some were even horseback riding as they went in circles in the park.

James wrapped his arms around my back which surprised me. Suddenly, I moved away which seemed to also astonish him.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, immediately. "I didn't..."

"It's fine," I said. Honestly, it was. But I was just a little shocked by the deed. "I'm just not used to it."

"Me, neither," he confessed, looking down. "I didn't know what has gotten into me. I guess, I just was too comfortable having you around."

He said those words without looking at me. From where I was standing, his sincerity was clear as day. James Rosewood is a nice man. If there was someone I'd be comfortable wrapping his arms around me, it could definitely be him.

To make up for his embarrassment, I reached out for his hand. I intertwined my fingers with his, which piqued his interest.

He looked at me. "Were you offended, Calypso?"

I shook my head. "Just warn me next time."

He smiled at me, which warmed my heart. "I will keep a mental note on that."

I giggled, as walked forward pulling his hands along me. "Let's go take a walk. The weather didn't cooperate just for us to not enjoy it."

He nodded, and walked beside me.

The couples who were riding horses side by side where going faster than James and I were. Minute after minute, another pair of horses will overtake us as we walked.

We didn't really mind, though. I was fine taking a slow-paced stroll in the park, with James as a company. The guy never runs out of stories.

"So, as I was saying, Brett, the bestfriend I had way back college, told me that maybe we could start a band," he continued to tell his story. "And guess what,"

"You started a band?" I asked, still invested with his stories.

"Not only that," he interrupted. "We performed in sold out shows."

Before I could say a thing, from behind us an audible lady shout was heard. "And what of my duty?"

I search for who's voice that might be and it was from Daphne Bridgerton, arguing with Anthony.

"You have no idea what it is to be a woman. What it might feel like to have one's entire life reduced to a single moment," Daphne lowered down her voice, yet still inaudible from where we are standing. "This is all I have been raised for. This is all I am."

She took a pause. People were definitely watching the two of them now. Eyes were on them. Even James' was staring at the two argue.

"If I am unable to find a husband, I shall be worthless," said Daphne.

Anthony looked at her, "Daphne, you're a Bridgerton."

She scoffed, "It would be easier if I'm not."

Upon saying her final words, she drove her horse to speed up leaving Anthony behind, all eyes now on him.

I watched Daphne pass right beside us. Her white horse speeding up now, like she extremely needed to get away from that heated argument. Meanwhile, as I look back, I saw how pained Anthony was to hear those words from her sister.

Deep inside me, I knew he meant no harm. He was just looking out for her sister. That I am sure of.

After taking a little while, Anthony decided to catch up to Daphne but her horse was running faster. After a few feet, he pulled the strings of his horse and made it to stop.

I stared at him. He led his horse nearby a tree and got off it. Using the leash of his horse, he tied it to the tree and sat on the bench near the spot of his horse.

Concerned, I wanted to run to him and try to console him after that argument. The events must have been taking it's toll on him. And the eyes of the critiques aren't doing him any favors right now. The viscount probably just wants to disappear right after that. But as much as I wanted to go to him, it would be rude to James.

"Are you friends with him?" James asked.

"Not really," I confessed.

James locked eyes with me. "Do you want to talk to him?"

I hesitated at first but, I do want to. "Would you mind?"

He shook his head. "I think he do need someone to talk to. It's fine."

I smiled at him. "Thanks James."

He nodded at me, and I smiled in return. With ny heart beating loudly, I walked towards where Anthony was. He didn't reach that far, before deciding to stop his horse so it was easier for me to catch up.

While on my way, my mind was racing.

I didn't know what I would say if I started talking to him, but I do know that I want to talk to him.

So, that's what I'm about to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.6K 1.6K 15
The whole town knew who much Emmaline Davison and Anthony Bridgerton despised each other to the point they couldn't be seen in the same room as one a...
103K 2.2K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...
97.1K 1.9K 35
Eleanora Fitzwilliam had known Anthony Bridgerton since they were both merely three and ten years of age. Eleanora's unexpected marriage to another m...
181K 4.1K 16
Magnolia || Colin Bridgerton Every member of the London ton in 1813 knew of the closeness between the Bridgerton and Hayward families. They summered...