Stealing Glances || Anthony B...

By thepersonswhowrite

All her life, Calypso Nightingale has always lived in the shadows of her four older sisters. She stayed in th... More

Author's Note
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI

X

12.2K 324 7
By thepersonswhowrite

Heightened Hopes

Lady Whistledown's daily critique has arrived earlier than expected on our front porch. It was the source of entertainment of our townsmen ever since the courting season has begun. Many are even figuring out the writer's real identity. Even I was curious to know who she was.

Among her fans was Georgia. Aside from waiting for my potential suitors in our living room, she sips coffee as she excitedly waits for the daily Whistledown parchment to arrive.

Her enthusiasm was in fact showing the instant I walked down our staircase and I saw her craned neck looking out for the mailman outside. "Why are you up so early?"

She immediately looked at my direction and furrowed her brows at me. "Why are you up so early?"

I smiled at her, my eyes still adjusting from the morning light. "You first."

Before I could even get an answer from her, the doorbell rang and she swiftly ran towards the door. Upon opening our home, she politely greeted the mailman. "A good day to you, sir!"

"Calypso Nightingale?" He asked, while holding a letter.

"Oh, I'm her sister," I overheard Georgia. I didn't want to intervene with the way I looked. My hair still all over the place, and slight traces of drool on my face.

I watched as the mailman gave the letter to her, and her eyes were still yearning to lay eyes on her new obsession.

"Anything else?" asked Georgia.

The mailman blankly stared at her for a minute, and suddenly, something sparked up a reaction from him. "Oh yeah, Lady Whistledown's updates."

I watched as Georgia's eyes lit up, while reaching out for the news. The instant she got hold of it, she immediately bid goodbye to the mailman and closed our doors shut. Quickly, she ran towards the couch and laid on it. Her eyes moved quickly while scanning the pages.

"What does it say?" I asked curiously.

She didn't respond, while her eyes moved quickly from left to right. Clearly, she was focused on the writings of the lady.

"Georgia," I said.

"Wait, sister."

"Read it aloud at least," I responded. Even I can't deny that that Lady Whistledown was gifted in writing. Her words and critique flowed smoothly like it was weaved to perfection.

Georgia then proceeded to read the portions of the paper.

Dearest reader,

This author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection. As such an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all is Miss Marina Thompson.

This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton for we all must know what the queen despises more than anything... being wrong. And the drawing room at Bridgerton house currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George.

It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she has always desired: the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof.

I watched as Georgia closed the parchment of news. "That's all she had to say about the recent occurences during this season."

"Other than that, nothing?" I asked.

"Nothing in particular about the other ladies. Only about the Bridgerton and this Marina Thompson, who I really never heard of."

"I heard she's a distant cousin of Lady Featherington's husband," interrupted Stella, coming from the kitchen. "And word got around that she's extremely pretty."

"I doubt," Georgia with her snide remarks.

"Shut it, Georgia," I hissed at her. "I'm sure she's really pretty to possibly dethrone Daphne."

"Oh poor Daphne," Stella said as she walked towards the couch opposite Georgia.

I agreed with her. It must have felt horrible reading those news immediately after being praised by the Queen. "Did you hear anything about why might that happen?"

Stella thought hard. "I think her brother was really strictly intervening with her affairs."

"Which brother?" I asked, which I realized I shouldn't have asked.

"Oh," Stella smiled at me, her annoyingly teasing smile. "The one you might have a crush on."

Georgia's jaw dropped and eyes wide. "Anthony Bridgerton?"

I felt my face get hot. While we were conversing, it made sense why Anthony never visited. He was protecting his sister and critiquing every man that is potentially asking for the hands of her sister for marriage, which suddenly heightened my hopes of thinking I might have a chance with him.

"Yeah, you got me figured out," I rolled my eyes at the two of them. "I think I do like Anthony."

"Awwwee," the two of my sisters looked at me  with puppy heart eyes.

"How cute," Georgia said, with her lips forced into a smile. "Our baby sister is now a lady."

"Shut up, Georgia."

From upstair, I heard heavy footsteps. In a minute, Hazel appeared with her hair also all over the place like she really had just woken up and decided to come down. "What is this commotion I'm hearing?"

I looked at Hazel, and smiled at her. "Nothing——"

Georgia interrupted. It has always been a habit of her. "Our little Callie has a crush on one of the Bridgerton boys."

"Anthony?" Hazel asked.

"How did you..." I trailed off, suddenly realizing why it was her first guess. Hazel had always admired Anthony, too. I didn't get it at first but now, I do. The viscount is perfect.

"Oh, so just because I'm now married you think it's your turn with my baby Anthony?" Hazel said, which made Stella and Georgia laugh.

"You had your chance, sister," I snickered at her.

"As if you have a chance."

"Whatever, Hazel." I said.

Suddenly, Georgia bolted upright. "Oh, I almost forgot Calypso. I have a letter for you."

"Oh, yeah. I've heard. Who is it from?" I asked.

"I haven't checked yet," Georgia said. I'm sure she didn't really pay attention especially after receiving Lady Whistledown's paper.

Before she could check, our doorbell rang once again. I hurried onto the door and pulled it open.

Right before me, a well-dressed and bathed in perfume gentleman stood before me. Those glimmering eyes and perfect white teeth were so familiar as I have witnessed them just last night.

"A pleasant morning, Lady Calypso," James said, with a warm smile on his face.

"You're too early," I said to him, completely forgetting about the letter, and the way I looked.

"I liked being early," he said. "Especially if I get the chance of looking at you like you had just woken up."

He chuckled and that brought me back to the way I was dressed. I immediately closed the door at him, which I didn't intend to. I just needed to hide my face.

I might have blushed a little. I dont know.

With the door still closed, I shouted. "I'm so sorry James. I didn't mean to close the door on you. It's just that I needed to prepare now, but you can come in. My sisters are here. Just wait for a couple minutes before you do so."

He laughed after hearing my apology. "Yes, Lady Calypso. And by the way, you still look pretty."

I rolled my eyes at his compliment. His words are starting to get to me. But I didn't let it show.

"Okay, James."

"Okay, Calypso."

That was the last I've heard of his voice right before I started sprinting back to my room to get dressed.

•••

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

First of all, I wanted to apologize for the delay of updates. I was flooded with school exams this week that I had to concentrate.

Anyway, I'll try maximizing my time to maintain constant updates on this story.

Thank you for being patient with me, and stay tuned for more exciting things on this story.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

~ evan smith ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 1.5K 34
"Hold me close so I can finally... breathe" Marriage wasn't something Carina Bridgerton looked forward to. And true love was not something she dreame...
69.4K 1.5K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...
3.1K 90 11
π‘ͺ𝒂𝒏 𝑰 π’ˆπ’ π’˜π’‰π’†π’“π’† π’šπ’π’– π’ˆπ’? π‘ͺ𝒂𝒏 π’˜π’† π’‚π’π’˜π’‚π’šπ’” 𝒃𝒆 π’•π’‰π’Šπ’” 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒉, π’•π’‚π’Œπ’† π’Žπ’† οΏ½...
16.5K 546 12
The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn, Charlotte and Benedict Bridgerton, find themselves on the brink of new adventures as they confront the c...