Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N: Two updates as a Christmas present :)

Jungkook couldn't move, he couldn't breathe, he couldn't see. He was reliving his nightmares, yet again. His parents had their wands out, and were aiming at his friends. His mind ran through so many possibilities. Was this happening now? He had to save his friends!

No wait, it wasn't a dream. Jungkook remembered the notes, the kidnappings, the future that he had Seen. But then, where was he? What was happening? And why was it so dark?

As if his surroundings heard him, the area around started to glow. And Jungkook was transported into another dream. But this wasn't the future. This was the past.

"Kookie! Kookie! Where are you?" 6 year old Minguk's voice echoed from down the stairs as 4 year old Jeon Jungkook rushed to hide. They were playing Hide and Seek. Jungkook couldn't remember a time before that when they had had so much fun together. Mr and Mrs Jeon had left the house. They were dealing with "important business". Jungkook didn't mind. That meant he would have more time to spend with his older brother.

"Where are you, Kookie?" Minguk asked breathlessly, his voice alive with laughter. "Dang it, you're so good at hiding!"

Younger Jungkook's eyes widened in his hiding spot, and he ran out of the closet. "Bad hyung! Bad hyung! No saying bad words!"

Minguk laughed. "Works every time." He tackled his younger brother, and they both rolled on the floor, laughing for at least a minute, maybe longer. Neither of them really knew, they were just having fun with each other.

Jungkook gasped. He suddenly remembered this. But what happened next—

The front door to the mansion banged open. "JEON MINGUK! JEON JUNGKOOK!" Jinho bellowed. "COME HERE IMMEDIATELY!"

The two brothers exchanged glances. They were used to their father's bad tempers, but today, Jinho's voice was tinged with something strange. Was it panic?

"I SAID, COME HERE IMMEDIATELY!"

Young Jungkook followed Minguk down the stairs, where they both came to a stop in front of their seething father.

Minguk spoke in a small voice. "Yes Father?"

"WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG? I can't believe we raised two complete imbec—"

Jeon Nayeon banged open the door, interrupting her husband. "Jinho, it's true. It's not a trick. He's truly gone."

Minguk and Jungkook looked at each other, confused. Who was gone?

Younger Jungkook opened his mouth to speak, and older Jungkook wanted to punch his younger self right then and there. 

"Who is gone? Father? Mother? Is it someone we know? Do we have to help their family? Do we—HEY! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?"

Minguk had stepped really hard on his foot. Jungkook remembered THAT part well enough. He had gotten super mad. Before his eyes, younger Jungkook was getting mad too.

"Hyung! Why did you step on me?"

Minguk opened his mouth to speak, probably to warn the younger Jungkook against angering their parents, but before he could speak —

"SHUT UP!" Jeon Jinho slapped Jungkook in the face, hard.

Minguk gasped. Jungkook's eyes filled with tears. His own father had —hit him?

Nayeon cracked a faint smile at the scene playing out before her. Then her face turned grim. "Jinho, you really shouldn't slap him."

The Jungkook of the present stared. Did his mother just stand up for him —?

"If you do, you MUST do it harder."  

Never mind.

Jinho nodded slightly. "Now, back to business." He turned to his two sons. Jungkook was still crying silently. Jinho scoffed to himself. Had he raised a weakling? He sighed. His older son was slightly better. There might be hope for him yet.

"Minguk!" The said boy straightened up at the sound of his father's voice. He had always strived to prove himself to their parents, and today was no exception. Even though his younger brother was crying. To choose between pleasing his parents, or keeping his younger brother safe...

Jungkook thought he knew what the answer was.

Then the dream changed.

Jungkook was standing in the same place, the stairs of the Jeon Mansion. He looked out the window. It was snowing.

Then Minguk came up the hallway, muttering to himself. This must have happened within the past year, because Minguk looked very similar. Perhaps this was during Christmas break?

Yes, that must be it. It had snowed the night the students left Hogwarts for the break. Now, what was Minguk muttering about?

Jungkook moved closer. Now he could hear his older brother's words clearly.

"I can't do it! Even if Father says I must... I can't! This can't be happening to me. I don't want this!" Jungkook's eyes widened in surprise as Minguk slammed his hands against the wall.

"This is unfair. Even if there was no one else, even if mom and dad are His most loyal servants... why does it have to be me? But...I suppose it's better me, than Kookie. What am I going to do? I need help. Please help me." Minguk took a deep breath.

Jungkook got a huge shock, as it seemed like Minguk was looking straight into his eyes, asking him for help. But of course, it was just a peek into the past. Jungkook wasn't actually there. Minguk couldn't really be asking for help.

And the dream changed again.

Except it wasn't a dream anymore. It was the present.