Twelve// Bye Suki:

Word Count: 2 549

CHAPTER TWELVE:

You'd think that training would get easier with time, what with it being the third consecutive day of our death sessions, but nope

You'd think that training would get easier with time, what with it being the third consecutive day of our death sessions, but nope. My body has not been coping. I'm a little nervous, because Ian mentioned the fact that our first observed assessment would be sometime soon, any day now. And so naturally I'm worried that I may not have developed my powers by whenever that is.

What if it's too soon after the operation and my body hasn't settled into the change yet? Or what if the procedure doesn't work at all?

Ian also mentioned how ideally he'd be showing me how to use my body and my powers during our combat training, but until Monday, that isn't happening.

It's only been a couple of days since my arrival, but everywhere I turn there are initiates at least trying to use their powers. Neave tests hers out on me all the time by blowing away any object I'm about to touch. For example: glasses, pens, food, knives – she's almost air-stabbed me a few times – and I can't help thinking that if the assessment is ability related, I'm going to mess up on a colossal scale since I don't have any... let alone practice.

I'll admit it's a little annoying, but I think she's only doing it to get me to try and retaliate since I told her I don't feel comfortable using my powers in front of people yet. She first got hurt by the fact that I referred to her as 'people' and then resorted to labeling me as one of the 'perfectionist type'. I didn't expect this whole process to be so relaxed. For the most part I'm free to do whatever I want to. There isn't a set time for training sessions and so that's all up to you and your Watcher as long as you're ready for the assessment days which we're only notified of just a few days prior. We only get to know what the assessment is on the day though; I bet it's because the leaders don't want to completely lose the element of surprise.

I look up from the food on my table in the restaurant I'm sitting in with Neave. It's a nice place, with a Retro 70s slash Old Wild West feel about it; from neon lights to leather seats and steak. My mother wouldn't be fond of my spending money on restaurant food. The idea of me giving 2 1/2 hours of my life to someone else would probably make her quake, but I guess you gotta live a little. (Or die a little?)

I look up from the thick piece of steak on my plate, my mouth salivating at the sight of lovely sauces and meat juices dripping onto the scene and I instead set my sights on Neave. She's eyeing up one of her projects – another cellphone – as she swipes through the screen. She's been trying to convince me to take one of her spares, talking about how easy to use they are and that I should really learn to appreciate old technology and how she's given it all these upgrades which will literally blow my mind, but I'm not too keen on it.

Just as I touch my fingers to my wrist, considering playing a video game from my chip I notice a trail of black flowing down her nose and I make a break to let her know.