Eight// Walking on Glass:

Word Count: 2 5780

CHAPTER EIGHT:

It's safe to say that neither Ian nor my mother were too pleased with the large gash on the side of my head when they saw me next

It's safe to say that neither Ian nor my mother were too pleased with the large gash on the side of my head when they saw me next. Explaining what actually happened seemed less realistic than telling them I hit my head on the window frame on the way in ... so I just went with that. Explaining why my board is in shambles took a little more creativity though.

No eye witnesses, no getting my ear chewed off (at least not as much as if I told the truth) and no them worrying about the Watchers coming for me.

I don't see how they could possibly freak out any less if I told them that someone knows. I realise that I've put everyone in danger, but seeing the look of fear and disappointment on my mother's face when she saw the cut was enough to stop the truth from finding a way out.

But Ian probably knows something more happened, he must! I just don't know why he isn't saying anything.

With the cut safely sewn together by a few drops of Orange Venom, I find myself on the bus ready to go to my new Kru with nothing but the black clothes on my back and the good luck kiss my mother blessed me with. There isn't really a reason to carry anything else with. My Kru will provide me with the rest and soon my insides will be ready too.

Ian is sat next to me and it's safe to say that I've never seen so many Watchers and students together. Everyone here is going to Air Kru, just like me, but from where I'm sitting, I'm not sure how I'll find my place within all these smiling faces and excited chatter.

"You should be trying to make friends," he beckons to me.

I look away from the small group I was staring at and slide my hands down my thighs in an attempt to starve the heat in them.

"Yeah, that's not so easy. All I know is how to avoid conversation, not how to initiate it," I explain.

"If you're going to make it in Air Kru, you're going to need to learn how to talk and be confident while doing it. Sometimes too much silence attracts attention. They'll all think there's something wrong with you or that you have a secret to spill. Either way, that won't be good for you. At least not until after your operation."

"I've been quiet most of my life Ian. I know how to do it right," I assure him and quirk my brow when I notice something about the other Watchers.

"Hey, should you be talking to me right now? All the others aren't really saying much," I observe staring for a second at the woman in front of me.

"It's not forbidden if that's what you're wondering," he replies abruptly, before all conversation between us ceases.

A small knowing smile drips onto my face and I lean back into my seat, but the lack of conversation forces my attention to shift solely back onto my surroundings again. The bus finally slows to stop and we all file out only to find ourselves outside what must be the tallest building in the Ring. It's quite a way away from the hub of the city and the tower looks long forgotten.