Ten// Partnership:

Word Count: 2 040

CHAPTER TEN:

I wake to the feeling of my blanket being ripped away from my body

I wake to the feeling of my blanket being ripped away from my body. My eyes fly open as apprehension fills my airways, my mind already travelling to the worst case scenario (discovery) and then I see him. Ian. He towers over me with his arms crossed over his chest and the same deliberately expressionless look on his face.

"Why?" I whisper, fighting to pull my bed sheets up and over my black uniform which I guess I must have just passed out in, but I soon realise that my bed covers are on the floor considering they're nowhere in toe range.

"Training," he answers simply and I feel both my brows lift in skepticism.

I was lucky enough to get a corner pod which means that two walls in my room are made of one way glass from top to bottom. Although I can't help feeling a little raw since it seems like everyone can see into my pod, even though they can't, but it's worth the view. Up here I can resume my favourite habit — watching.

I lift my back off the mattress and look straight ahead at the two glass windows that meet to form one corner of my chamber. The sky behind it is dark and I deduce that it must still be nighttime.

"You couldn't have waited till morning?" I query through a mouthful of gravel.

"It's 3:00 AM," he reveals.

"That's not morning to me, how exactly did you get in here?" I bluster.

"Be ready in ten," he orders, before walking to the door and out of my apartment while I imagine myself strangling him from behind.

My pod is a lot smaller than what I'm used to. I can see everything in this apartment while in my position perched on my elbows; from the kitchen, to the TV, to the bathroom door, but I somehow feel free to breathe here.

I finally roll off the side of the bed and head over to the bathroom, my feet padding along the dark wooden floors. The bathroom door slides to the side without any input from me when I reach it and I walk through the new opening. I quickly strip myself of my clothes and stand under the showerhead, relishing in the feeling of warm water rushing down my shoulder blades, the pressure washing away many of my worries and eventually ridding me of my grogginess.

I exit the bathroom and stand in front of the white, glossy closet in my bedroom, pressing my palms to its doors, causing them to come away from the wall and slide outwards, revealing the contents of my new wardrobe. My gaze settles on seven sets of uniform, some of them short and some long. Black boots and two pairs of trainers in both black and white sit at the bottom of the compartment and I press a hand to open a few of the drawers below the opening where I set sights on a few undergarments and socks.

I get dressed as quickly as I can, the gray uniform simply melting onto my skin. I walk over to the mirror on the left of my bed and stare at my reflection. My hair is pulled into a small bun and my short sleeved shirt clings tightly onto my skin and exposes my midriff. It's certainly not what I'm used to.