How to Say Goodbye

It was the day of the graduation ceremony at Auradon Prep. And Evie, Henry, and Jay were graduating. Mal and Carlos were there watching their friends graduate. When Jay grabbed his diploma he did a dab do to the crowd before getting off the stage. And when Evie grabbed her diploma, she shook hands with Fairy Godmother, then blew a kiss to the crowd before also getting off the stage.

After the ceremony was over, the core four were having a little party with just the four of them, in Mal and Evie's dorm. "I can't believe I just graduated." Evie said.

"Well, you better believe it, Evie. Because you just did." Jay told her.

Evie looked at Mal who was sitting next to her on the bed, as she squeezed her into her side a little. "You're quiet tonight, M. Something on your mind?" She asked.

Mal gave her a small smile. "I'm fine, E." She told her. But Evie just gave her a certain look that told Mal that she knew that there was more that she was keeping to herself. Which was totally true. "What's gonna happen, E?"

"What do you mean, Mal?" Evie asked.

"I mean, you just graduated, you're obviously gonna go off to college. And I'm still gonna be here. By myself. You won't even be here in this dorm anymore." Mal said with her voice cracking slightly.

"Oh M," Evie said pulling Mal in for a hug. "Yes, I will be going to college, but that's not for months. You still have the whole summer with me, I promise."

Mal hugged Evie back, nodding into her chest. "But after the summer, what am I going to do without you?" She asked. "I love you and for my senior year I won't have you, or Jay!"

Evie kept her arms wrapped around her. "I know. But don't think about it right now, Mal. Even when that time comes, you'll still have, Carlos." She told her as she began rubbing her back.

Mal nodded once again. Evie was right, she shouldn't think about it right now, she still had the whole summer to spend with Evie. She still had lots of time. Little did Mal know that, that summer would have flown by so fast. There were a lot of memories that she would carry in her heart forever. And the time that she had left with Evie, was going away, and they weren't counting down the months, or weeks anymore. It was now down to days. Three days nine hours seven minutes and twenty-six seconds to be exact.

Mal was helping Evie pack her things into boxes. "That goes into that box over there." Evie told her as Mal took her sewing machine to the box on the other side of the room. Mal had never seen the dorm so empty before. Things were going to be so different without Evie with her 24/7.

And when they were done for the day, Mal and Evie watched a movie together. Another Hallmark movie as Evie was obsessed with them. Mal didn't like them as it was just the same thing over and over for every movie but she put up with it for Evie.

Mal was determined to make the last two days last as long as possible. She and Evie did everything together. Going to the mall together, going for drives in Clarabelle, getting ice cream together, things like that. And when those two days were gone, and it was Mal and Evie's last night in their dorm together they were cuddled next to each other on Evie's bed talking, laughing, and crying sharing memories.

"Remember the first time we came into this dorm?" Mal asked.

"Amazingly gross!" Evie replied making them both laugh. "Remember that time I was teaching you to drive Clarabelle, and you were driving so bad I had to puke?"

"Yeah, and then I got out to see if you were ok and forgot to put her in park and then she went into a ditch." Mal finished the memory. "What about the time where I had that accident and lost my memory?"

"How could I forget? That was the hardest time of my life." Evie told her. "It was so hard going through those three weeks without the real you."

Mal smiled at her as she cuddled more into her. "I'm so glad I have a friend like you. And because of that, I'm the luckiest person in the whole world."

Evie's eyes soon filled with tears as she pulled Mal in for a giant hug. "I love you, M. If anyone's lucky, it's me."

They both just hugged onto each other crying on each other's shoulders. And they both fell asleep just holding onto each other. And when the morning came, Evie was the first to wake up, she saw, Mal still asleep against her. She smiled softly at her as she ran her fingers through her purple hair.

"I will always love you, M. Never forget that." She whispered just holding onto her. When Mal woke up, she just looked up into Evie's brown eyes as she knew that she was going to have to say goodbye to her best friend.

Evie smiled at her as she got up with Mal doing the same. "I guess this is it, huh?" Mal asked.

Evie took in a couple breaths as she nodded. "I guess so. Will you help me bring my stuff down to Clarabelle?" She asked.

"Of course." Mal replied as they both grabbed boxes and took it all down to Clarabelle. And once the last of it had been brought down to Clarabelle, Evie closed the back door, as she turned to her friends. She first went to Jay and hugged him.

"I'm gonna miss you guys." She said. "I love you all so much!"

"We love you too, Eve." Carlos replied as Evie hugged him.

And when she turned to Mal they started sobbing once again. "I wish you didn't have to leave." She said through her tears. "But I know I could never hold you back from your dreams."

"It's ok, M. It's just for a little while. I'll see you in a year." Evie said through her own tears. She squeezed Mal as tight as she could, not ever wanting to let go of her vice versa with Mal. But they both knew they had to.

"I love you, Evie."

"I love you more, Mal."

They both laughed as they wiped their eyes and slowly pulled away from each other. Evie took one last look at her friends before getting into Clarabelle. She started the car and drove away staring at them through her rearview mirror until she could no longer see Auradon Prep. The place where her life had become new and better.

The place where her heart would always be. She would see them again, she knew she would. She knew she would always be able to find Mal in the space between. Until then, they always had FaceTime, everything would be okay. Things would definitely be different, but ultimately okay. And that's what gave Evie strength about this new life she was giving herself, for a better future.

A/N: Well? What did you all think? I know it was a little sad. I came up with it while I was trying to write the next part in The Little Dragon in my Descendants one shots collection, and I couldn't help but write it down immediately. But the next part in The Little Dragon will be out in a little bit so keep an eye out for that. Anyway, please let me know what you thought. And leave a request for another one shot if you gave any. Merry Christmas! It's almost here! Until the next chapter!!!