Once Upon Another Illness

Mal was sitting on her bed covering herself with one of her blankets as she shivered to death it felt like. Evie came into the room after she had knocked on the door. Mal looked up at and tried her best to keep from visibly shivering, as not to let Evie see her. "M? Are you ok?" Evie asked as she saw Mal looking like she was freezing.

"Yeah E, I'm fine." She told her in an unsteady voice.

"Is it cold in here or something?"

"A little bit, but it's nothing I can't handle." Mal said to her still trying not to shiver.

"Ok, if you're sure. But anyway, I'm getting ready to go out with Henry on a date. I'm not exactly sure when I'll be back, but I just wanted to let you know." Evie said.

"Ok you two have fun." Mal replied.

"Oh we will. I love you, and I'll be back later." Evie said before going over to kiss Mal on the head. But when she did, she realized how warm Mal felt. "Mal? Are you sick?"

"No? Why?"

"Mal, you are burning up. Here let me call Henry to tell him I can't make it. I need to stay here and take care of you." Evie said grabbing her phone.

"No! You have to go, you and Henry haven't been on a real date in forever. It's just a small fever I can take care of myself, I'll be fine, I promise. Go and have fun." Mal told her as she pushed Evie's hand with her phone in it down gently.

"Are you sure? Because I don't want to leave you here by yourself when you're sick." Evie said sympathetically.

"Evie, I'll be fine!" Mal told her again.

"Alright, I'll go. But call me if it gets worse and you need me." Evie said with a very serious look in her eyes.

"I will." Mal replied. She could tell that Evie didn't want to leave her as she always hated to see any of her friends sick or hurt. But with a sympathetic smile, Evie walked out of the room and went down the stairs leaving Mal to immediately cover back up under the blankets to try and keep herself warm.

But as time went on and a couple hours went by, Mal only felt worse, as she was still freezing, but she was also sweating, she felt like she had just come out of the shower, cause her hair was pretty much all wet from sweating so much, and her clothes were also sticking to her body.

Mal was beginning to think whatever was causing her to be so sick was more than just a small fever. She started finding it hard to breathe, Mal quickly reached over towards her nightstand where her inhaler was to see if it would help her control her breathing. And as she used it, she found it wasn't really helping her much.

She thought she should call Evie, but she didn't want to interrupt Evie and Henry's date, as she knew that they both had really been looking forward to that, so she was quick to decide against it. She soon began coughing nonstop and it hurt her, and when she brought her hand away from her mouth she saw her palm was covered in blood. Mal knew that couldn't be good, and the longer she looked at it made her stomach feel queasy.

Mal ran into the bathroom and leaned over the toilet as she then emptied the contents of her stomach. But when she was done doing that, she realized she was also puking up blood. Something was seriously wrong with her, so as she went downstairs to try and find medicine or something, she became too weak and collapsed, falling down to the ground as she went unconscious.

***

Jay and Carlos raced each other into the house as they finished playing tourney against each other in the backyard. "That's not fair! You're taller than I am!" Carlos yelled at Jay as they went into the kitchen to get some water.