My Hero (The "What If.." Ending)

While the three boys were giving Mal some time to be alone with Evie Henry had decided to explain to the boys what Mal had told him about the whole fire and how she felt about it. Carlos and Jay were in shock after hearing about it all, they had never expected for Mal to be the cause of the fire. They waited outside of Evie's hospital room for about 20 minutes before knocking on the door to let Mal know they were coming inside.

When Henry opened the door and first glances into the room he couldn't see Mal anywhere in the room. Which ended up confusing him as he wondered where Mal was in the room since she had wanted to be with Evie. "Mal? Are you in here?" He called out into the room softly. But he got no answers which just confused him even more.

"Oh she's right there." Carlos suddenly spoke pointing over towards the bed. Henry and Jay approached Carlos' side and spotted Mal on the bed with Evie cuddled up into her side and fast asleep.

"Aw that's sweet!" Jay said as he got out his phone and snapped a quick photo of the two.

"Yeah Evie would definitely want to see that whenever she wakes up." Henry told them as he, too, took a photo.

The boys stayed in the room awhile longer just quietly talking while letting Mal sleep as she hugged onto Evie. But as the hours passed on by and day turned to night, one of the nurses entered into the room and told them visiting hours were over and they needed to go. Henry then nodded in reply as he stood up from the chair and approached the bed to gently shake Mal and tell her it was time for her to wake up.

Mal stirred a little bit before opening her eyes and looking around the room quickly before sitting up. "What's going on?" She asked while rubbing the sleep from her eyes and stretching a bit after getting a few cramps from sleeping in the same position for so long.

"Jay and Carlos are gonna take you to the hotel for the night since visiting hours are over." Henry informed her before Mal quickly shook her head at him as she laid back down next to Evie and hugged onto her again. "Mal come on, you have to get up."

"No! I'm not leaving her here, she never left me whenever I was in the hospital, I should do the same for her." Mal told him.

"Mal, I'll be staying here with her so she won't be here by herself. You'll sleep better in a bigger bed in a quiet hotel. Jay and Carlos will bring you right back in the morning." Henry tried telling her but Mal still only shook her head at him.

"You can't make me leave her!" She began raising her voice at him causing Henry to sigh in response.

"Come on man, it won't hurt anybody if she stays the night here. We all know Mal, she's not letting go of Evie anytime soon." Jay said to Henry as he pointed over at Mal who had her face pressed into Evie's shoulder while having her arms wrapped around her the best she could.

"Yeah you're probably right. Well then, I guess we'll see you two in the morning." Jay and Carlos nodded their heads before waving at the two and then leaving the room.

Henry turned his head over to look at Mal and Evie as he began to smile at the sweet little sight. He took off his jacket and gently put it over Mal's body to keep her warm even just a little bit through the night as he went back over to the chair and sat down and tried to make himself as comfortable as he possibly could before slowly drifting off to sleep.

***

Evie wasn't sure how she was supposed to process being dead while being forced to watch Mal find a new family to replace her and just go on as if she never even existed in the first place. She saw how happy Mal looked while she spent time with Evie 1 and little Mal. She felt awful just standing in a corner while trying not to just break down and start crying just staring at Mal and watch her smile get bigger the more time she spent with her new family. She had to stand in that corner and hear Mal's beautiful laugh that she never tired of hearing but it wasn't the same as being able to look right into her green eyes while listening to that laugh.