The Accident (Part 6)

After Mal and Evie spent a couple of hours just the two of them, Evie had texted all their friends in their group chat saying to meet them in the picnic area outside the school.

"I can't wait to see everybody's reaction when they find out you have your memories back." Evie said as they walked out of the school.

"Oh they're gonna be so shocked." Mal replied as they both laughed.

By the time they got there, everybody was already sitting at a table.

"So, what's so important that we all had to be here?" Jay asked Evie once she and Mal had joined them.

"Well, I don't think it's right of me to tell you all. I think Mal should be the one to tell you." Evie said.

Everybody turned their attention over to Mal. "Ok, so, I have some news. As you all know, after my accident, I was unable to remember anyone or anything. Of course, I did remember Uma among other small things. But just a few hours ago, I took a very quick nap, and when I woke up...all of my memories came back." She told them all. Nobody said a word. They all stared at her with their mouths hanging open like she had just grown two heads. "Helloooo!" She said.

"Ok, let's put this to the test." Jay said. "What happened in our tourney game last month?"

"Nothing. You didn't have one. Tourney season's over." Mal informed him.

"Huh. And that was a trick question. Mal's back!" He yelled.

And everyone began giving Mal hugs and telling her they were so happy. All that stuff. Except for Uma of course. So, Mal approached her.

"Hey Uma!" She said sitting down next to her.

"You already remembered me." Uma reminded her.

"Maybe so, but that doesn't mean I don't want to talk to you." Mal told her.

"Oh come on, we've done nothing but talk for the past three days!" Uma yelled.

Mal laughed. "Uma, I just wanted to tell you, I remember hearing what you said when I was in a coma in the hospital. I know you care about me." She said playfully hitting her arm with her good shoulder.

"I do not! I meant what I said back there, I only came to make sure you weren't dead. I will admit, I was concerned about you, but that's it!" Uma said.

"In other words, ya love me!" Mal said.

Uma rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say. But, that's not what I meant." Mal just smiled at her as she held out her arm to Uma. "What are you doing?"

"Come on, you know you want to." Mal teased.

"Want to what?"

"Hug me already. This is your chance! Come on!"

Uma shook her head before she barely wrapped her arms around Mal. Before Evie sat in between them, separating them.

"So! What were we talking about?!" Evie asked in an overly cheery voice.

"Relax blueberry, I'm not gonna gonna steal your friend." Uma told her.

"Why would you think that I think that?" Evie asked innocently.

"It's kinda obvious, E." Mal told her.

"Ok fine! But can you blame me? I just love my best best friend in the whole wide world!" Evie asked pulling Mal in for her another hug.

"You're one-of-a-kind Evie. But I love you anyways. Never change, you hear me?" Mal joked.

"You never have to be worried about that, M. This Evie is here to stay. Forever!"

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Ugh! Can you two, like, get away from me!" Uma said.

The two girls laughed before they got up and headed back to their dorm after saying goodbye to everyone.

Mal just got back in her bed as she set her crutches against her nightstand. Evie just smiled at her affectionately as she looked at her. "What?" Mal asked after she saw Evie just staring at her with a big smile across her face.

"Nothing." She replied. "I'm just so glad you're back. You have no idea how hard it has been for me these past three weeks. I really missed you." Evie said.

"Yeah, it was hard for me too." Mal agreed. "But I'm here now. And I'm never leaving you again. It was like a part of me was missing. I mean, I was here, but at the same time I wasn't. And I'm sorry Evie. You are my best friend. And not being able to remember you, or our friendship, I hated it. But it made me realize just how important you are to me. Same with Jay and Carlos. You're my family. And I can't live without you."

Evie's smile grew as she once again hugged her. "You're important to me too, Mal. I love you more than you know. And I'm always gonna be here for you. No matter what. You never have to worry about that. I'm gonna be honest with you, there were times where I thought you weren't ever going to remember me. That you would never get your memories back. But I never lost hope. I believed that you would find your way back to me. You're important to me too, Mal. And that's how it will always be." Evie promised her.

Mal knew that, in a way, her accident hadn't just changed her, it had changed all of her friends. But in a good way. It brought them closer together. And in a way, it brought Mal and Uma closer together. Kind of. But hey, sometimes tragedies have a way of bringing good to those who faced hardships and trials. For example, her and Evie's friendship was even stronger now. And she was so grateful for the relationship that she had with her. And with all of their friends. Mal was back. And she was here to stay.

A/N: And that, my friends, is the end. I know that this was a pretty sad book, and it absolutely killed me to write, but this ending was so worth it. I am so glad that you all ended up liking this! So let me know what you thought of this. And feel free to let me know what your favorite part in this short story was. And if you have one, leave a request for another one shot! Until the next chapter!!!