{28} Her smile

Besides my brother's bruise, he also had other wounds; old scars, scratches and fading markings. I had placed the ice right on his bruise.

«How did all these happen?» I asked him while observing his body with my eyes.

«Stuff.» he answered and stood up. I did the same and stayed by his side.

«Why do you care so much? You hated me.» he said and formed a smirk.

«I still do. I'm just feeling guilty about the whole situation.» I coldly answered. Maybe even colder than the ice I was holding in my hands.

«You want to hate me. That doesn't mean you do.» he said with an arrogant smile.

«Why do you assume that? I have a lot of reasons to hate you.» I told him with a frown.

«But... I'm adorable.» he said and placed his palm on his chest, pretending he was hurt.

I chuckled. He likes it when he makes me laugh. It's visible on his face when his characteristics soften and he slightly smiles. He then walked away, now more serious.

I don't get him. For a moment he escapes from his black, ungrateful, selfish self, turning it bright and then returns to it as if it was some kind of game.

Alex's Pov

«And you're living here alone?» she asked me while scanning my house.

«Yes.» I gave her a dry answer.

«Why did you left the institution? The orphanage anyway..» she asked.

«I scarpered. I didn't like it.» I replied and lit my cigarette.

«Why?» she asked again quickly.

«So damn nosy..» I told her while exhaling the smoke.

«Too many rules. Too many 'musts'. I got sick of them.» I continued.

I passed by her and grabbed the shirt I took off before, wearing it again.

She stayed silent. Her behavior drove me crazy. She didn't like to bring out her beauty like other girls. Maybe that makes her even more beautiful. She just stands there serious. But she's never impassive. Her eyes will always try to tell you something deeper. It pissed me off that the demons I was trying to transfer to her didn't affect her. As if she's immune, indestructible. And that makes her superior.

«You're really beautiful and you don't bring it out, just so you know.» I told her in a low tone.

«Like, you still were even when you cried.» I continued and put out my cigarette.

She chuckled without taking it seriously. She doesn't believe I mean it. Her smile is her gift in return for my demons. She gets rid of them. She casts them out.

«I need to go, Aries will know I'm here.» she said abruptly.

«You want a ride?» I sighed.

She looked at me intensively thinking my question was obscure.

«I won't stop in front of your house, so your ass brother won't see me.» I told her and grabbed the house keys from the furniture next to her.

«Alright.» she said indifferently and followed me.

I opened the door and got out. I got up my bicycle. She came and sat behind me.

«Won't you wear a helmet?» she asked me.