Chapter 3 - The Fairytale

You had been bouncing your leg, sitting at the hall for the last five minutes while you waited for the guards to take your father into the interrogation room and let you know it was safe to go in but each minute made you feel even more nervous instead of giving you time to calm down. This time, Agent Alvez had other things to do, so another agent- JJ, Spencer called her- was accompanying you and Spencer today.

"Is it too late to change my mind?" you wondered out loud before turning to Spencer "Am I even allowed to change my mind?"

"He's the one who's imprisoned, not you," he said, "You can change your mind anytime."

"But?"

"But," he said, "He kept his promise the last time, didn't he? He will probably give us information about another copycat."

"That's a very polite and indirect way to say that I can't change my mind, professor."

"Professor?" JJ asked, looking between you with a smile and you shrugged your shoulders.

"I haven't had the best experience with doctors so far, and he looks like a professor."

"You really do, Spence. Besides, don't you have like five PhDs?"

"Three BAs, three PhDs." He corrected her and you gawked at him.

"Suddenly I feel inadequate."

"Welcome to our lives." JJ said, making you let out a small laugh at how embarrassed Spencer looked before JJ checked her watch.

"I'll ask them what is taking them so long, excuse me," she said and walked to one of the offices while you leaned your head back, closing your eyes.

"Whoever came up with the idea of not letting people smoke in here is a jerk," you muttered and Spencer shifted beside you.

"Fixing your breathing helps to calm down-"

"Fixing my breathing helps me to calm down when I'm about to go into a meeting, not when I'm about to talk to my serial killer father." Your voice came out harsher than you intended so you opened your eyes, letting out a breath.

"Sorry," you apologized quickly, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you."

"Don't worry about it, you're under stress."

"Still not an excuse," you pinched the bridge of your nose, "It's just... I didn't really sleep last night."

"Because of stress?"

You tilted your head and managed to shoot him a smile, "What flirty line do you want? One or two?"

A mischievous smile graced his lips, "I think I'll go with one."

"Because I was too excited to see you."

"Oh that's new," he commented and you shrugged your shoulders.

"One day you will flirt back, professor."

"Yeah and that'll be the day you run for the hills."

"Maybe," you admitted "You'll still flirt back."

He chuckled to himself, "You sound very sure of yourself."

"I am very sure of myself and no, I don't want to hear any body language hacks that prove otherwise."

He held up his hands, gesturing surrender and you ran a hand over your face.

"It's just..." you trailed off, "It's like—when I'm there, I know you guys are right outside, I know he's in handcuffs, I know there are prison guards at the door but I just feel..."