Chapter 2 - In Control

You never really had a life that you could call "ordinary" but the last couple of days had been a whole new level.

Avoiding phone calls and news and text messages took extra effort in the 21st century, but you were beginning to think you were handling it quite well, all things considered.

Reid had left you a voice mail, and for some reason that was the only message you couldn't bring yourself to delete unlike the other messages from his office. Maybe it was the way he had calmed you down when you were freaking out earlier, maybe you felt as if you owed him at least that, or maybe you just happened to like his voice.

Who knew? Not you, obviously.

"Auntie Y/N!" a cheerful squeal made you open your eyes and you tried to get rid of the haze of the sleep still trying to pull you in.

"Damn it," you mumbled and turned your head to see your ex-boyfriend still sleeping peacefully beside you, "Anthony. Wake up."

"What?" he said groggily and you grabbed your clothes to put them on.

"You need to leave, make it quick." You muttered as you walked to the mirror to fix your hair and Anthony got into his clothes.

"So, uh... Last night was fun."

Your eyes found his in the mirror, "Hm? Yeah, I guess."

"You free tonight?" he asked you and you pulled your brows together.

"Anthony, this is not happening again."

"Whatever you say," he murmured, obviously not believing you but you were in too much of a hurry to convince him, so once you made sure you looked at least presentable, you left the room to walk to the living room. Your sister was turning the TV on for your niece, but both of them turned to look at you when you stepped in, a smile warming your face in an instant.

"Hi there bug!" you said as your niece threw herself into your arms and you lifted her to spin her around, "This is a nice surprise."

"Morning!" she said, pressing a wet kiss on your cheek as you sat her down back to the couch, and turned to your sister.

"Hey you."

"Hi there," she said "You haven't been answering your phone."

"I was distracted." you said as both of you walked to the kitchen island.

"No coffee?"

"Do I look like your servant?" she retorted "Put some on for me too if you're making it."

You rolled your eyes, and made your way to the coffee machine at the same time your bedroom door opened. Your sister leaned over the island to see who was walking past, then she rolled her eyes.

"Oh great."

"Mina," he greeted her, putting on his jacket, "Nice to see you."

"Can't say the same," she deadpanned and he cleared his throat.

"I'll see you later I guess?" he asked you and you nodded, forcing a smile.

"Yeah, later."

He looked like he wanted to say something, but then decided against it and closed the door behind him on his way out. Mina looked over her shoulder to make sure your niece was still focused on the TV, then clicked her tongue.

"So how does rock bottom feel?" she asked you as the noise of the coffee machine filled the kitchen, "Are you comfortable down there or do you need a shovel to sink lower?"