Eliminating the Threat

Cal stood there in the hallway, completely shocked. He could still see Wren running down the hall, turning a corner. She had acted so strange. First she kissed him, them she pushed him away, then ran away from him. She did look kind of sick though. Her face had turned white as a sheet and she was stumbling and tripping over her own feet, like she had gone blind for a few seconds. Cal didn't know what was up with her, and it was making him extremely frustrated. He had kissed her, twice, and she had kissed him back, twice! She was so incredibly stubborn. And oblivious. He remembered watching her dance with that imbecile James. Wren had looked so happy. He would kill to know what they had been talking about. Cal was back in his room now, trying to get blissfully drunk. He downed glass after glass. Anything to get his mind off of Wren.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➶➳
Wren woke up with another head splitting migraine. She was in her bed and she didn't remember getting into it last night. Wren looked down at herself , and saw that she was in her nightgown. Rustling could be heard. Wren looked up and saw that Elizabeth had set a breakfast tray on the table and was making a fire. Wren rubbed her forehead.

"Elizabeth..." Wren croaked out. "What happened last night?" Elizabeth didn't look up from her work but answered,

"I found you asleep on the floor still in your ball gown. So, I made you more comfortable." Wren thought about last night. I fell asleep on the floor? Wren massaged her head.

"I put some medicine on the nightstand for you, miss." Elizabeth said. Wren looked and saw a cup of steaming liquid on her nightstand.

"Thank you, Elizabeth." Wren said, trying to put as much sincerity in her voice as she could. She had only known Elizabeth for a short period of time, but she considered her a close friend. Wren sipped the medicine. She recollected the events of last night. Dancing with James. Talking with him. He had been interesting. Wren had thought it was the start of something, but Cal had to ruin it. He always ruined everything. But you kissed him last night. Wren thought. You feel something for him. Last night was a mistake. A hotheaded, impulsive mistake. She shouldn't have did what she did. She had probably been tipsy and acted on teenage hormone impulses. This was exactly what happened to Demetria. The second Cal makes you believe he cares for you, is the second he breaks your heart. No. Not me. It won't happen to me. I'm too smart to be ensnared like everyone else. Wren told herself. Elizabeth started to tidy up Wren's room, because it was messy. Wren had never been the tidy sort. She certainly made Elizabeth's job harder. Wren finished the cup of medicine and set it back on the nightstand table.

"So, how long did the ball last?" Wren asked.

"It went many hours into the morning." The servant girl answered simply. Wren was hesitant.

"Is James alright?" She asked.

"The man who Cal punched in the nose? He's fine. He stayed awhile after you left. Looked like he was looking for you, kept asking for your name too." Elizabeth explained. It was strange how Elizabeth seemed to know everything about everyone in the castle. Wren looked at her hands. She wondered if she would ever see James again. Wren slid out of bed and started to get dressed. The ball was over, so the dance lessons were over too. Thank God. There wouldn't be any lessons today, Wren's schedule was clear. She glanced out the window. Fall was approaching, and the leaves were starting to change colors. The air was getting colder. Once Wren was dressed, she dashed out of her room. She walked through the halls until she reached Rose's room. She didn't even knock, she just threw the door open and went in. Rose was sitting on a chair in the middle of the room, her violin resting on her shoulder. She sawed the bow across the strings with passion, an entrancing melody filling the room. Smiling to herself, Wren dashed back out into the hallway. She sprinted to the music room, and grabbed a familiar looking flute. When she burst into Rose's room again, the fiery haired girl looked up and smiled at Wren. They sat and played together for the rest of the afternoon. They fell into the familiarity of the music. It cleared Wren's head, making it blissfully empty for once. All Wren knew was the cool silver under her fingers, the calming sound of the song. Once they were finished playing, they set their instruments aside and talked.

"So...how's you and Cal?" Rose asked cautiously. Wren whipped her head around and glared daggers at Rose.

"There is nothing. I hate him." Wren snarled. Rose held up her hands.

"Alright, alright. Whatever you say." She said with a knowing smile. Wren scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"So, you and Samuel then?" Wren prodded. Rose's freckled cheeks turned red.

"W-What are you talking about?" Rose stuttered. Wren raised her eyebrows, not buying it.

"You fancy him, don't you?" Wren asked. Rose sighed in defeat.

"Yes, I do." She said quietly.

"Hmm." Wren mumbled. Rose whirled on her.

"What?" Rose snapped defensively.

"It's just that I didn't think you would like someone like him." Wren stated. Rose was so passionate and fierce. Once she set her mind on something there was no changing it. She made impulsive decisions, she was reckless. Samuel was the exact opposite. Timid and calm.

"Well, I do. He's sweet, and he makes me laugh. He doesn't judge me." Rose said. Wren chuckled to herself. Love works in strange ways... Nathaniel's cool voice whispered in the back of her mind. His voice was heavy as he said it, like the meaning was weighing him down. Wren shook her head, pushing the thought away.
➴➵➶➳➷➶➵
Wren was back in her room. Her headache was back and was stronger than ever. Victoria had left soon after the ball. After their goodbyes and promises to return soon, Victoria rode away in her carriage. Remember how Nathaniel warned her about researching their whole...relationship? Yeah, she was doing it anyway. Her headaches were driving her crazy. The constant pain was making her want to tear her hair out. Besides, she wouldn't, didn't take orders from voices. Wren had started to explore the restricted section of the library. She had stolen the key out of Castilla's office. She was making a little progress. Her goal was trying to find out how to stop this madness, how to get him out of her head for good. Nathaniel had been surprisingly quiet for the past few days. Wren wondered what he was up to. She was in the middle of working when a knock came at her door. Why can't everyone just leave me alone? She thought as she got up and went to the door. She threw open the door and was absolutely not happy with what she saw. Cal was standing there, his black hair tousled and his clothes wrinkled. Wren immediately narrowed her eyes and put her hand on her hip. She resisted the urge to growl.

"Yes, Mr. Felstead?" She said with a deathly polite voice. He narrowed his eyes at her calling him by his last name.

"I thought you might want these back." Cal said, holding up the object in his hand. It was Wren's white gloves. The ones she wore the night of the ball. Cal's eyes bore into hers. Daring her to remember. Daring her to acknowledge that night. The memory rose up before her eyes. Cal kissing her, him slowly taking off her gloves and dropping them on the floor. It made her heart ache a little. Whether it was from disgust or something else...she didn't know. Wren remembered Nathaniel threatening him that night. The images flashed like channels on a television screen. Cal kissing her when she was sick and delirious. Demetria and Cal embracing each other. Demetria running through the halls, her sobs indicating her broken heart. Her broken heart. Wren looked at Cal with a face as cold as stone.

"Oh, I must have left them in the ballroom." Wren said finally. Cal's face was blank. He stood there for a moment, not saying a word. Wren snatched up the gloves.

"Thank you for returning them to me. Now, I have business to take care of." Wren said icily, slamming the door in his slightly irritated looking face. She stood with her back against the door for a moment, the gloves clenched tightly in her hand. After about a minute, she heard Cal's footsteps walk away from her door. She released a breath she realized she had been holding. She had gotten rid of him. She was supposed to feel good. She had destroyed the threat of pain. Why did she feel this heaviness in her heart?

I knew you were smart enough to not get mixed up with him. Nathaniel said.

"Shut up." Wren barked. She dropped the gloves on the ground, and made her way back to her desk.

How was this chapter? Vote and comment!! :D