A Single Rose

One week passed in what felt like seconds. Everyone started to inch their way back to associating with Wren. Cal was still barely talking to her, though. The Masquerade Ball approached like a death sentence. Wren grew more anxious with every passing day. Invitations were sent out. Servants bustled about the ballroom. Her sisters started to pick their dresses. It made Wren want to scream. She realized that her efforts to make Castilla cancel the ball were fruitless. She had tried to convince her so many times, so many that she had lost count. Wren knew that the only person she could trust with her ideas was herself. No matter how hard the others tried, they just wouldn't be able to understand. Wren ran through the possible scenarios in her head. The whole castle will be full of people. People wearing masks to be exact. Perfect opportunity to sneak in undetected. He will be able to maneuver anywhere he wants without being noticed.

"Wren!" Am irritated voice broke through her reverie. Imogen stood over Wren's desk, her hands on her hips disapprovingly. Wren took in her surroundings. The classroom walls. Her sisters and the boys all seated at their desks. Wren shook her head as if to clear it.

"Please pay attention." Imogen said. Wren mumbled an apology, and Imogen went back to teaching the lesson. Wren leaned her chin on her hand. Rose was giving her a look that said Are you really still thinking about the ball? Wren shrugged and gave her a look that replied back What did you expect? Rose gave a little smile, knowing that once Wren set her mind to something you couldn't shake her from it. The lesson continued on in agonizingly long minutes.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
Wren sat in the large room filled with racks of ball gowns. Her sisters were trying to pick out dresses for the ball, which would take place in only a few days. Annabelle emerged from behind the changing curtain wearing a slim white dress. It was decorated with thin silver chains draping the torso, and sparkling diamonds dotting the tulle skirt. Annabelle swirled and looked at herself in the mirror.

"This is the one." She said.

"You've been saying that for the past hour." Wren said, clearly annoyed. They had dragged her in here only for her to sit around and wait for them to choose a gown.

"No, this is the one." Annabelle said. Wren rolled her eyes. Rose had picked out an azure blue dress that draped on the ground with a swirling skirt. Rowan chose a tight red dress that contoured well with her jet black hair. Avery would be wearing a black gown with a puffed skirt and open back. They all had a dress to wear except Wren.

"Come on, Wren. You have to pick a dress." Rose said.

"I will later." Wren complained. Her sister rolled their eyes and continued to look themselves over in the mirror.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
It was dinner time and the sun was just beginning to dip below the horizon. Elizabeth and Mark served a hearty roast with cooked vegetables and a exotic wine that Wren had never tasted before. Everyone engaged in the usual conversations. Who was marrying who. Who was coming to the ball, and such. Wren wasn't paying attention in the slightest. She was staring at Cal, who was draining glass after glass of vodka. He still wasn't meeting her eyes. They hadn't made eye contact since she had broke down in front of him. Wren mentally scoffed. The second he sees a woman actually having an emotional response to something he freaks out. She thought. There was a light tapping on Wren's shoulder. She looked up to see Mark standing over her with a silver tray in his gloved hands. A single envelope rested on the tray.

"Miss Wren, it is addressed to you." He said politely, holding the tray out to her. Wren timidly took the envelope and muttered a thank you to the servant boy. All eyes were on her. Who could possibly be sending her mail from outside the castle? Wren stared at the writing on the front of the envelope. Her fingers found the flap and ripped open the paper. She carefully unfolded the letter and and slipped on her glasses.