The Queen is Dead

"Queen Althea is dead." Cora Thorn said breathlessly, sinking down in a high backed chair. A long table stretched out in front of her. They were in one of the council rooms, but only two of the many chairs were occupied. Frederick Archer, a member of the royal court, and Cora Thorn, the head of the council, were seated before each other. Frederick sighed. He was a burly man, with thinning brown hair and a bushy mustache. He knew this day would come. Queen Althea's health has been dwindling for years, and today it finally snuffed out like a candle.

"Then we have a serious epidemic on our hands." He said. "Queen Althea never married, never produced an heir. There is no one in line for the throne."

"Yes, you think I haven't figured that out myself?" Cora snapped. She rubbed her aching temples. She was a bleak featured woman. She had a round face and narrow eyes and lips. Her dark hair escaped form the bun high on her head. There were dark circles under her eyes and her clothes were crumpled, like she hadn't slept in a while.

"The other kingdoms could declare war. Our many decades of peace could be demolished." Cora stated bluntly. There was a moment of silence. Then Cora looked up suddenly. "There is another way." She said. Frederick raised his eyebrows.

"Another way for what?" He said.

"Another way to get a queen." She said as if it was obvious. "The legend of the sisterhood." Frederick scoffed.

"You believe in that myth too?"

"You know it's true. The Seers foretold it themselves. And they're rarely wrong."

"But we have no idea when the legend will be fulfilled." Frederick argued. "It could be years, decades, centuries before a new queen comes into eligibility."

"Who cares how long it takes!" She shouted, banging her fist on the tabletop. "It will be enough to keep peace between the kingdoms. We will have double watches put on the portal. Anything to give the people hope." Frederick stared at her. "It's the best plan, and you know it."

"Yes, yes." Frederick said, waving his hand impatiently.

"Your plans often are, Cora." She smiled in victory. Frederick rose out of his chair, straightening his jacket. "Well, I ought to make the announcement that the Queen is no more. The people will be devastated. She was truly the greatest ruler in all of history. It is a sad day." Frederick said mournfully. Frederick and the Queen had been friends, and she was always kind to all her subjects.

"Yes." Cora said, hanging her head. "It is."