Family Reunion

Nathaniel led Wren to the door of the room. He opened it, pushing her inside. The room contained a small table that was surrounded by couches and overstuffed chairs. Two other people occupied the room. The woman in all red and the girl with the orange hair and angular face sat anxiously on the couch. They heard the door close behind Wren and Nathaniel, and jumped to their feet. The woman in red's eyes locked onto Wren, her face taking on a look of tenderness. Why does she keep looking at me like that? Wren thought irritably. Nathaniel sat on the chair opposite to them, and Wren sat in an armchair farthest away from him.

"Well, I guess we'll start with the introductions." Nathaniel said casually.

"Wren, this is Cassiopeia." Nathaniel said, gesturing to the woman in red. Like the constellation, Wren thought.   The woman smiled warmly, extending her hand for Wren to shake. Wren stared at it, not moving.

"You can call me Cass." The woman said.

"And this is her daughter, Eliza." Nathaniel said, gesturing to the girl with the orange hair. She looked Wren over with her pale eyes.

"I have been waiting for this meeting for a long time." Cassiopeia said. Wren fidgeted in her chair, becoming more uncomfortable with every passing second.

"Why did I see you in my dream?" Wren said seriously. Cass smiled.

"You saw me in your dream?" The woman said, sounding pleased.

"That is what the question implied." Wren snapped, unable to hold in her sarcasm.

"Forgive her, she is a bit feisty." Nathaniel said. Wren glared at him.

"Why were you in my dream?" Wren demanded again. Cass looked her over, inspecting.

"When did you begin the spell, Nathaniel?" She asked, ignoring Wren's question. Nathaniel sat back in his chair, thinking hard.

"I can't remember. It took me some time to penetrate through her wall. She has quite the mind." He said. Spell? He used a spell to get inside my head?

"Doesn't look like much to me." Eliza said suddenly. Wren locked eyes with her. Her voice was cold and smooth. Wren narrowed her eyes, and Eliza raked her form with her eerie eyes. Nathaniel laughed, a sound that made Wren tense.

"You couldn't be more wrong, Eliza dear." He said.

"That is an advantage." Cassiopeia said. "The enemy won't look twice at her, giving her time to strike." Wren raised an eyebrow. They think I'm on their side. Eliza scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Forgive my daughter, she lacks respect." Cass said. Wren stayed silent.

"I don't understand how she even fits into the plan. Her powers aren't even activated." Eliza snapped.

"That is exactly what we need. Do you know how powerful she would be if she had access to her own abilities?" Cass replied.

"Exquisitely stated, Cass. Even though her powers haven't been activated, they can still be channeled." Nathaniel said. Wren was taking it all in, not saying a word. Listen to them, she thought. Talking as if I am not sitting right in front of them.

"Why is she so quiet? I thought you said she was more defiant." Eliza said to Nathaniel.

"She is, trust me." Nathaniel quirked.

"You speak as if I am not here, as if I am on your side." Wren said coldly, not being able to keep quiet any longer.

"It's not like you have any choice." Eliza said, her eyes slinked in annoyance. "You can help us willingly, or unwillingly." Wren's jaw clenched, glaring at the girl fiercely.