The Masquerade Ball

The light from the ballroom blinded Wren. When her eyes had adjusted, she took in her surroundings. Glowing chandeliers hung from the sky painted ceiling. The light from the chandeliers were dimmed, casting shadows across the walls. The walls were painted with golden patterns of swirls and floral designs. The marble floor was crowded with people. Extravagant gowns in striking pastels and dark and mysterious faces hidden by masks flashed before Wren's eyes. A grand staircase unfolded in front of them, leading to the dance floor. The staircases steps were dotted with roses, with vines twisting around the banisters. Cal started to walk forward, bringing Wren from her reverie. She fell into step with him. They walked down the staircase as everyone stared at them. He could be here. Right in this room. Wren thought. Cal led her over to a corner where hopefully nobody would bother them. She noticed that a group of girls were staring in her general direction. She realized that they were not looking at her, but at Cal. They giggled and whispered to each other. Wren surveyed the room, looking for a familiar white haired head. Wren realized that she was breathing hard. Her palms were clammy with sweat.

"Calm down. I'm here, remember?" Cal said softly.

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Wren snapped. Cal tried to suppress a grin.

"Yes, actually." He said. Wren ran her fingers over the rose petals, trying to calm her rapid breathing. Cal watched her with concerning eyes.

"What's with the rose?" He asked. Wren looked at him.

"I found it in my room. He left it there." She said darkly.

"Look, I know you're afraid of this man. But there's no need to be nervous." He said, trying to sound sincere.

"I'm not nervous." She lied. She saw Cal smirk out of the corner of her eye.

"You're cracking your knuckles again. Terrible habit of yours." Cal condescended. Wren made a frustrated noise, and rushed away from him and into the crowd. She made her way over to the food table. Various delicacies were displayed across the spotless white tablecloth. Roasted meats and bowls of vegetables and sauces and gravies. There were plates of stacked breads, giant bowls of steaming soup and creamy chowder. Silver dishes full of cubed jellies the color of jewels and cakes and tarts made her mouth water. There was so much food Wren didn't know where to start. She started to stuff her face with food. She grabbed a glass of champagne from the table and downed it. Cal was suddenly at her side.

"We're supposed to stay with our escorts." He scolded.

"When have I been one to follow the rules." Wren spat around a mouthful of food. Cal picked up a glass and sipped it elegantly. She hated him for always looking so graceful.

"See anything suspicious yet?" He asked, not sounding entirely serious. Wren stopped and turned to face him.

"You don't believe he'll show up, do you?" She asked. Cal ran a hand through his hair.

"Not exactly. I think he is trying to scramble us. To get inside our heads." He explained.

"Then you'd be wrong. You don't know him like I do. He's up to something. He isn't one to dawdle, he needs things done quickly. He's trying to prove a point, but I don't know exactly what that is yet." Wren said. She sighed. After dumping the remaining contents of her glass down her throat, Wren set down her glass.

"If you're not going to take this matter seriously, then please do not hang around me for the remainder of the night. I'm sure you'll find another girl to amuse you." Wren started to walk away from him, again, when he grabbed her arm. He stared into her eyes with a cold determination.

"If you think that I don't take this seriously then you are the one who's wrong." He said stonily.

"This man terrifies you, I know. And if he terrifies you then he terrifies me. And if you believe that your feelings don't matter to me then you aren't as smart as everyone thinks you are." Wren stared at him for a few seconds, analyzing his words. She was about to reply to his out of character comment, when something took a hold of her. A bottomless feeling of darkness and hatred surrounded Wren like a cloud of smoke. Her heart clenched, her stomach dropping. There was a pounding in her head, and she felt like she was breathing water. Wren swayed on her feet, her fingers going to her temple. Cal took her arm, concern clouding his green eyes.