Taken

Wren watched as the guards circled the ballroom. She cracked her knuckles over and over again. Her forehead was dotted with beads of sweat. Her heart was racing even though Nathaniel was nowhere in sight. Cal was standing next to her, watching her intently.

"We're going to find him, Wren." He said, trying to sound reassuring. Wren looked at him and nodded, trying to convince herself. Noah raced up to them, looking panicked.

"Have either of you seen Avery?" He asked frantically.

"No. Can you not find her?" Wren asked, alarm creeping into her voice. Noah shook his head.

"I left to get a drink and when I got back she was gone. I can't find her anywhere." Noah explained. Wren looked at Cal, concern and panic making her heart pound. Wren raced over to the ballroom door, throwing it open in one fluid motion. She ran through the halls, opening every door and peering inside. In a few minutes, her sisters and the boys had joined her. Castilla and Imogen ran to help.

"What's the matter?" Castilla asked.

"Avery's missing." Rowan said, out of breath. Castilla's eyes filled with fear.

"We have to find her. Search every room in the castle." The woman ordered, turning to dash down the hallway. Everyone ripped off their masks and set to work. Running as fast as they could through the castle and throwing open the doors of every room. Wren didn't know how much time had passed when she heard Annabelle scream. She whipped her head around and her heart beat skyrocketed. She picked up the hem of her dress and ran to the sound. Annabelle was standing in the doorway of the drawing room, staring into the room in disbelief. Everyone was their in an instant. They all rushed into the room. What they saw made them freeze. Avery and Nathaniel were there, their masks discarded. His hand was clenched around Avery's thin arm. Avery looked terrified, her soft features pinched in fear. Everyone had a good look at Nathaniel's face. Wren looked sideways at them. They were all frozen in awe. Wren had described him as cold featured, evil and treacherous. Which he was, but he was also beautiful. Their faces were staring at him, mesmerized. It reminded Wren of her first impression of him. Nathaniel smiled wickedly, pleased to have everyone's undivided attention. He grabbed Avery and pulled her towards him. She slammed into his chest and he wrapped his arms around her. He whipped out a silver dagger and pressed the tip to Avery's back. Everyone's shoulders tensed.

"Miss me?" He smirked. Castilla clenched her fists.

"You know very well that this kingdom is sickened by the sight of you." Castilla snarled. Nathaniel faked a look of hurt.

"Oh that hurts, Cas. It really hurts." Nathaniel said sarcastically. Castilla glared knives at him. Nathaniel set his eyes on Wren, making her skin prickle.

"But I'm not here to take the kingdom...yet." He said. "I'm here because there's a certain someone here that I am very interested in." He looked Wren up and down as he said this. Wren took a step forward. Avery made a little whimper of fear. Nathaniel drove the blade further into her skin, making blood drip down her back. Wren froze.

"Don't come any closer. You know I'll kill her." He threatened.

"I believe you. What do you want?" Wren growled. Nathaniel smirked as madness lit up his eyes.

"You." He said darkly. He raised his arm and threw down a vial of liquid. Before anyone could react, the glass vial shattered and a cloud of red smoke enveloped them. Wren heard Avery scream, and then silence. When the smoke cleared, Nathaniel and Avery were gone. Wren heard herself and her sisters scream Avery's name. Annabelle fell to her knees, her hands raised to her mouth. Tears pooled in her hazel eyes. Rose's eyes leaked tears, and Samuel wrapped his arms around her comfortingly. Rowan went over to Annabelle and hugged her, whispering into her hair. Wren just stood there. Her blue eyes were big, staring at the spot where Nathaniel and Avery were standing. She felt her eyes moistening, but the tears didn't fall. She would have stood there all night if Rose hadn't guided her out of the room.