The Library

Wren was helplessly lost. The castle was huge and had so many identical looking corridors that it was like navigating through a maze. She was surprised at the lack of servants bustling about. She didn't see another living soul as she passed door after door. She had been waking for so long that her feet were beginning to ache. "You would think that for such a large place I would have come across at least one person by now." Wren mumbled to herself as she turned into another hallway. She didn't know how long she walked, but eventually she came across a servant boy. As she came around the corner of a long hallway, she saw a boy striding down the hall. "Excuse me, sir!" Wren called. The boy whipped his head around, startled. Wren had to restrain herself from running over to him. Once she reached him, he stood with his hands at his sides obediently. Definitely a servant. He was tall with reddish brown hair and his skin was lightly dusted with freckles, and looked about her age. His big green eyes gaped at her.

"Miss Hadley." He said politely, bowing his head. Her name had traveled that fast throughout the castle? She cleared her throat.

"I'm afraid that I am hopelessly lost. Would you happen to know where my room is?" She asked.

"Yes, miss. Would you like me to escort you?"

"Yes, thank you..." Her words hung with the question.

"Mark. Mark Coastillon." He answered. She smiled. "Thank you, Mark." He lead her through three hallways and down two sets of stairs. He stopped at a door and opened it, revealing the familiar room Wren would be staying in. After one more polite nod, the servant boy strode back down the hall and disappeared around a corner. Wren wondered if she would ever know this place as well as he did. She crossed over to the ginormous bed and slipped off her boots. A nightgown had been laid out across the comforter. She quickly changed into it and washed her face. Even though it was barely past sunset, she crawled into the bed. She was exhausted from roaming the hallways and all the events that had taken place today. The bed was the most luxurious thing she had ever slept on. She drifted into a dreamless sleep, unaware of what waited for her tomorrow.
➶➵➴➳➶➴➵➷➳➶
She was awakened by Elizabeth gently shaking her shoulders. She was dressed in a simple blue dress and apron. "Miss Hadley, it's nearly breakfast time." She said. Wren sat up and stretched her arms. Elizabeth crossed over to the wardrobe and started to select a dress for Wren to wear. Morning light poured in from the large windows, and the floorboards were warm when Wren's feet hit them. No words passed between them as Elizabeth fitted her into the dark blue dress she had chosen. Wren thought of Aunt Cynthia as Elizabeth yanked on the lacings of her corset. She remembered how tightly Aunt Cynthia had laced them up everyday, she had said that men liked women with tiny waists. Elizabeth wasn't like that though. She actually gave room for Wren to breath. Elizabeth brushed Wren's hair with a silver backed brush and pinned it up in a simple bun. Some of Wren's brown curls escaped from it and framed her face. It was a little awkward. Wren had never been waited on, she has only read about characters in books who had been. She figured she would have to get used to it.

When she reached the dinning room, everyone was waiting for her. A huge room with floor to ceiling windows and a long table stretched out before her. The table was obviously designed for banquets and parties, but only part of it was set. A large unlit chandelier hung above their heads. She took a seat next to Rose, who was spreading a orange paste over a piece of toast. All of her sisters were present, as well as all five of the boys she met the other day. And Imogen was there too, quietly sipping her tea. Castilla was nowhere to be seen.

"Goodness, what took you so long Wren?" Annabelle asked, annoyed. "I mean, I know you've always been one to sleep late, but really. We've been waiting for ages." Wren slid the toast rack towards her.

"Where is Castilla?" Wren said, ignoring Annabelle. "Probably doing some royal court business. She is a very busy woman, we rarely see her." Cal said, eyeing her. She looked away from him quickly. There was something about him that unsettled her, made her anxious to get out of the same room as him.