Smooth as Glass, Cold as Ice

It was like one of Wren's nightmares. The dark figure lurked under the cover of shadows, cloaked from her vision. The room was empty but she knew she was not alone. She felt the aura of darkness surrounding her. The only sound in the room was Wren's harsh breathing. She was frozen in place. The knife lay still on the floorboards, and the bolted door seemed a mile away. She anxiously waited for the person to reveal himself. She willed her breathing to cease to its normal rate. "Who's there?" She demanded. A low chuckle, barely audible, sounded. I thought you would be able to conclude that much already. The voice said. No amount of foresight could've prepared her for the shock of that voice. It was clear and smooth as glass, cool and silvery as ice. It seemed to chill her bones and beckon her forward at the same time. Wren's fear was quickly overpowered by annoyance.

"Forgive me for not being as perceptive as you anticipated." She snapped at the invisible source of the voice. She immediately regretted her words, hoping the figure wouldn't harm her for her rashness. She had nothing to fear, for the voice chuckled again, like he had been expecting her reaction to go accordingly.

You are as they said you would be... Wren thought she heard the voice say, so quietly it was barely comprehensible. She shook it off. An uncomfortable silence lingered. Wren grew impatient.

"Well, are you going to tell me what you want or are you going to continue to trifle?" I said. He laughed, and the sound made her stiffen.

You are quite confident for a person in this particular...situation. He stated. Realizing his words, her hands clenched at her sides. Wren bit her lip to stop herself from blurting out a bold comment. She could almost feel the man smiling.

Good girl, finally coming to your senses. He purred.

"Why is it that you can communicate with me when you are not present?" She said through clenched teeth. The voice snickered.

They did say the questions would come next. He murmured to himself.

"Who is this "they" you are referring?" Wren hissed.

All in due time... He teased. Wren felt the immediate threat that he might harm her was not as strong as her curiosity. She felt that whatever this person wanted, it wasn't to harm her, yet.

"Well, you've got my attention." Wren said with a shudder. She couldn't shake the atmosphere of blackness and hatred enveloping the figure. The voice flat out laughed.

You fear me. Good. He said.

"I fear the darkness that radiates from your body." Wren said as strongly as she could.

Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace. He recited.

"What's the reason for welcoming? What is there for me in darkness?" She said more like a statement than a question. The voice laughed again.

My salvation awaited in the darkness. You will find that it has more to offer than you can imagine. Wren was quiet, trying to analyze his words.

Well, I'll have to be going now. But I will be seeing you very soon. He said.

"Wait!" Wren said. The cold and unsettling presence of the figure disappeared. The air seemed to be sucked free of the fear that had weighed on Wren's shoulders. She was alone again. She made a frustrated noise and crossed over to her bed. She plopped down on the soft sheets and leaned her chin on her fist. What had that man wanted? Why was he able to talk to me in my mind? Who was he?

Wren didn't want to face the others after her disturbing experience. After dinner had ended, she rang for Elizabeth to bring a meal up to her room. The servant girl had set up dinner out on the small table on the balcony of Wren's room. The sun was just beginning the touch the horizon, and a golden tint was set across the countryside. The meal was a minty salad with grilled fish, a basket of bread, with white wine. All served on elegant silver dishes. Wren had just begun to eat when a knock had sounded at her door. She set down her fork and crossed over to the door. She prayed that it wasn't Cal. She flung open the door, and Rowan stood on the threshold. She had one hand on her hip.