Destiny

Wren was walking down the hallway, a ginormous book in her arms. It was bigger than her whole chest, but she didn't struggle to carry it. She was on her way to lessons. Dance lessons that is. The ball was approaching, and Castilla was forcing everyone to learn to dance. Annabelle was thrilled, but Wren and Rose were mortified. Both Wren and Rose were terrible dancers, and they knew it too. Wren hoped to God that she wouldn't embarass herself too much. She entered the schoolroom, where all the desks had been pushed to the side to make room for dancing. Imogen wasn't there yet, so Wren looked down and continued reading. Everyone else was there, waiting for the lessons to start. Noah was stading off to the side, staring into space. Samuel and Rose where having a conversation. Cal was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, scanning the room with his eyes. His gaze landed on Wren, and she quickly looked back down at her book. Her eyes skimmed over the page, looking for relevant information. Despite Nathaniel's warnings, it was strange to suddenly have somehting to call him, she was still researching their relationship. She heard something in the back of her mind.

"Hello, Wren! I'm talking to you!" She heard Cal saying. She ingnored him. She heard him grunt in frustration. Suddenly, the book was being yanked on. Wren held onto it tightly. Cal was pulling the book, but Wren refused to let go. She looked up, and met Cal's fierce glare. She glared daggers right back at him.

"Please do not interupt me when I'm ignoring you." She said with frightening politness. Cal sneered at her. She tugged on the book. His grip tightened.

"Please unhand my book." Wren snarled.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you." He growled. Ha! Like he could tell her what to do! Wren narrowed her eyes again. She slammed the book shut, right on his fingers. Cal shrieked in pain, clutching his hands. Wren smiled sweetly at him. Cal was looking at her like he would snap her neck, and very much enjoy doing so. Just then, Imogen burst through the doors.

"Alright everyone, line up. I'll be choosing your dance partners." With one last glare at Cal, Wren joined in the line. Imogen walked slowly, looking deep in thought.

"Alright, Gabriel and Rowan, Avery and Noah, Rose and Samuel, Peter and Annabelle, and Cal and Wren." Imogen said, pointing to each of them as she said it.

"WHAT?!" Cal and Wren shouted at the same time. Imogen looked unfazed.

"You heard me." Imogen said.

"Je ne suis pas danser avec ce connard prétentieux!" Wren yelled.

"Wren!" Imogen shrieked. "There is no need for that kind of language!" Wren whipped her head towards Cal. He was still glaring at her.

"What's the problem? Wren, why won't you dance with Cal?" Imogen asked.

"Because I don't do things that make me want to kill myself." Wren snapped. Imogen rolled her eyes.

"My decision is final. You two are dance partners." Imogen said.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
Wren's hand was clenched around Cal's shoulder so tightly her knuckles were white. She was physically restraining herself from punching him in his perfect nose.

"Ow." Cal said for the millionth time. She kept stepping on his feet. Sometimes it was an accident, but most of the time it was on purpose. They didn't break their stares as they danced. They kept their eyes narrowed, frozen in a glare.

"Could you move any slower?" Cal said sarcastically. Wren smirked at him, then drove her heel into his foot. Cal cried out in pain. He growled at her. He tried to push her away from him, but it came out harder than he expected. Instead of pushing her away from him lightly, Wren fell to the ground. Wren landed with a loud thud. Everyone stopped to look at her. Cal looked shocked, and little concerned. Don't be ridiculous, he probably did that on purpose. Everyone was looking at Cal with shocked and slightly angry expressions. She knew what they were thinking, it was improper, no, unlawful for a man to push a lady down to the ground. Wren didn't feel shocked or hurt, all she felt was anger. She jumped to her feet, brushed off her dress, and raised her fist. Just before her fist connected with Cal's face, someone stopped her. Wren whipped her head around and saw Rose holding her wrist, shooting her a warning glare. She stared at Rose for a moment, then lowered her fist. With a grunt, Wren stormed out of the room. Nobody followed her.
➶➵➴➳➷➵➶➳➷
Wren barged into Victoria's room. The blonde headed woman was sitting on the floor in front of her bed, and pink silk dressing gown wrapped around her shoulders. She had a glass of champagne in her slim hand. Wren shut the door behind her an plopped down on the floor beside Victoria.

"Cal is an asshole." Wren snapped. Victoria raised her eyebrows.

"You've realized that just now?" She asked. Wren rolled her eyes. Victoria took a sip of the bubbly liquid.

"What'd he do this time?" She asked.

"Imogen assigned us to be dance partners! Literally the worst possible decision! And that idiot pushed me down, probably on purpose!" Wren ranted. Victoria nodded her head as if the situation didn't surprise her. After Wren had yelled a few other things(that are to vulgar to be written down) she sat there catching her breath. After a few moments of silence, Wren noticed the many champagne bottled littering Victoria's carpet.

"Isn't it a little early for champagne?" Wren asked.

"It's never too early for champagne!" Victoria said enthusiastically. Wren chuckled, and poured herself a glass.
➶➵➴➳➷➵➶➳➷
Wren was sitting on her bed, reading. She was desperately trying to keep the thought of Nathaniel out of her head. She didn't get far into her book when the familiar aura of darkness surrounded her.

"Must you bother me right now? I'm reading." Wren said coldly. She heard Nathaniel's deep chuckle.

I think you'll find that I will be visiting you whether you find it convenient or not. He said darkly. Wren scoffed, and went back to reading.

I see you've given up on the researching. That's good, since you weren't going to find anything anyway. He said. Wren ignored him.

I see Cal has gotten under your skin again. He commented. Wren looked up.

"What the hell does Cal have to do with this?" She blurted out.

He is distracting you. I can't have that. You best stay away from him. he warned. Wren was still for a minute.

"A distraction from what?" She asked. There was a pause.

Your purpose. The reason you were created. He said. Wren scoffed again.

"And what exactly was I created for?" She asked. There was yet another moment of silence. Then Wren felt the aura of darkness slowly getting sucked out.

You were created to be Queen, Wren. He said in a faint voice.
➶➵➴➳➷➵➶➳➷
The last words of Nathaniel had kept Wren up last night. Queen? I have absolutely no interest in being Queen! What was he on about? She trudged to the dinning room, her feet dragging. She hadn't slept a wink that night. She was a mess. Her hair was pinned up loosely, hanging in front of her face, and her eyes were red and had bags under them. On top of that, she had a pounding headache. She ate her breakfast in silence, trying to process Nathaniel's words. Her dance lessons with Cal were very quiet. She wasn't in the mood to argue with him. She sensed something off about him, he certainly didn't expect her to react with such calmness after what had happened yesterday. Her movements were sluggish all morning. Nathaniel's words kept whirring around in her head. Wren thought she might go mad.

"Wren, are you alright?" Rose asked her some time that morning. Wren rubbed her throbbing temples.

"Yes, I'm just tired." Wren lied. Rose gave her a peculiar look, but then left her alone.

Wren was walking down the hall, when Cal ran up to her. He started to walk beside her. She didn't have the energy to start an argument with him. She wondered what he wanted.

"Are you alright?" He asked. She couldn't believe what she was hearing! Cal was concerned for her! Out of the question!

"I'm fine." Wren answered nonchalantly.

"You don't look fine." Cal replied.

"The stop looking." Wren snapped, speeding up her pace. He matched it.

"Seriously, what is wrong with you?" He asked.

"Nothing." She said. There's a person talking to me in my head, but it's not me. Cal wasn't buying it. He swiftly moved to step in front of her, blocking her way.

"Tell. Me. What's. Wrong." He said slowly, putting seriousness in every word. You best stay away from him. Nathaniel's words rang in her head.

"Why do you suddenly care?" She snapped, her patience running thinner with every passing second. He stared at her for a minute. When he didn't say anything, she scoffed and sidestepped him. She walked away from him, leaving him standing in the hallway.