Chapter 18

I lean back on the tree trunk after a long day of practice. Kakashi had left about halfway through because he had something else to attend to. I let out a sigh and close my eyes for a quick nap.

My eyes flash open as a huge shove hits my stomach. I fall from the tree, flipping in midair and landing on my feet.

I leap away from my spot and land in a bush... On purpose, of course. I then teleport from the bush to a tree, filling my former spot with a clone.

This man is obviously an idiot because he went for the clone, leaving his backside open for an attack. I smirk and lunge forward.

My hand lands squarely on the back if his neck and he falls over, me pinning him down. I growl into his ear, "Who are you and give me one reason my to kill you."

The man sputters a bit and shakes under my weight. I know he can't talk with his face buried in the ground, but if I let up even a little he might get away. Better to let him die.

"Ayaka!" A familiar voice calls at me from behind.

"I'm kind of busy, Kakashi!" I shout back angrily, applying more pressure to the man.

"Let him go! It's Iruka!" What? I look back at the man and see that his transformation justu has worn off. Crap.

I leap back, allowing Kakashi to rush to his friend's aid. Iruka breathes in heavily and then coughs. "Y- You pass." I pass what?

"Congratulations, Ayaka," Kakashi smiles through his mask. "You and the rest of the team will be participating in the chunin exams."

Chunin exams, huh? I walk down a path through the village when the hair on my neck stands up. Something's wrong. I race forward and find a boy from a different village holding up a child. The older boy seems to be bothered by the child and Naruto and Sakura are there trying to get the child back. Interesting.

I move my position to the tree where Sasuke is very skillfully hiding. He lets out a sigh and smirks at me as I land. I smile and put my finger to my lips, telling him to remain quiet.

A girl approaches from behind, her blonde hair split into four ponytails. "Stop it, Kankuro," she says. "Gaara will get angry."

Just as she says that, a small boy approaches, his red hair like a flame on the ground. There's something about him that reminds me of me. He's almost... Monstrous. But at the same time there's something different, like he's not the monster, but there's one inside of him.

Sasuke leaps from beside me down to the ground, pulling me back to reality. The red haired boy glares up at me too, as if expecting me to come down as well, so I do.

"Sasuke Uchiha," Sasuke says arrogantly. "What's your name?"

"Gaara of the desert." His voice is low and gravelly. His fierce green eyes turn back to me, but I don't flinch. I refuse to show him how scared I am.

"Ayaka Hara."

He nods. "You and I are the same, Ayaka Hara. Can you tell?"

I smirk, just as cocky as Sasuke is on a daily basis. I lean in closer to him and he stiffens, like he's expecting something to happen. Nothing does. I place my hand on his shoulder and he nearly stops breathing. "You're wrong," I whisper. "You may have a monster inside of you, but I truly am one."