Chapter 38

My opponent leaps right into the ring from her spot on the overlook. She's small and obviously very fast, based on all the muscle I can see in he legs. I make my way calmly down the side steps, giving me some extra time to think of a strategy. She seems a bit headstrong and quick-to-act, kinda like Naruto. Making these assumptions might be helpful, but I'll need to fight her before I can know for sure. I step onto my side of the arena and the fight begins.

Right off the bat, she's in front of me. Her fist collides with the side of my head. Dammit. She's faster than I thought. She leaps back, throwing two kunai at me. I'm just barely able to dodge them, still a bit dazed because of the punch.

I clear my head and ready myself for the next attack. She comes back at me. This time I manage to side-step and get her in the back with a kick. She stumbles for a second before regaining her footing.

"Nice shot," she smirks. I stay silent, not wanting to waste any energy.

"Shadow clone justu," I mutter to myself as four copies of myself appear.

"You really think that'll work on me?" She questions cockily. "I'm not an idiot, I know which one's the real you."

"Go!" I scream. My clones launch themselves at Akira, keeping her distracted just long enough for me to use my next justu. "Shadow cloak justu!" I feel my body fading out from the world, keeping me safe and hidden.

Akira destroys the last of the clones and looks around for me. "Where are you?" She screams. "You gonna hide from me like some sort of coward?" One of the audience members trips and falls, causing her to turn around to see the commotion, and giving me the perfect position. "I know you're out there..." Her voice is quieter now. She's listening, and my chakra's running low. I need to move fast.

I sprint at her, a kunai pointed to her back. Her body shifts slightly and she spins around, just in time to get me in the arm with a knife of her own, breaking the illusion.. I fall on my back and manage to kick her legs out from under her. She falls face-first onto the cement arena floor.

I move as quickly as I can, pushing myself off the ground with my good arm and leaping onto her back, pinning her arms with one hand and hold a knife to her neck with the other. I lean in close to her ear and whisper menacingly, "Do you give up?"

She debates the idea for a second before sighing and letting her body go limp. "I give."

The proctor ends my exam and I happily hobble up the stairs to where my team is waiting for me. I drop down onto the floor, leaning against the wall before slipping into unconsciousness.