Chapter 2

Unlike my teammates, I don't go home after our meeting. Instead, I head to the forest for training. I need to be stronger because I doubt my team will try to save me if an S Rank villain has a kunai to my neck.

                I practice until morning and have trouble getting back to my apartment. I stumble up the stairs of my building and make it halfway down the hall before I collapse. I lay on the ground, panting for a minute before I pass out completely.

                I wake up in the morning to a rather large someone falling over me. "Oof!"

                We lay like this for a second, me splayed out on the ground and my stranger friend lying horizontally on my back. It kind of uncomfortable.

                "Uh, sir," I begin, "Could you please remove yourself from my backside?" I start to push off the ground before he can respond.

                "Whoa! I'm moving, I'm moving." I feel the great weight being lifted off my back by the muscular arms I can see in my peripheral vision. His sleeves look somewhat familiar, even if they are standard ninja sleeves. And I recognize his voice as well, but I'm not sure where it is that I know him from.

                When I can no longer feel him on my back, I roll over and get a good, long look at his masked face. Dangit.

                "Oh, hey, Ayaka," Kakashi says calmly. "What are you doing lying outside my apartment?"

                "I spent the night training and kind of collapsed here on my way to my apartment." We stay silent for a second. "Wait!" I scream.

                "What are you screaming for?"

                "Why aren't you at the training area? You're late!"

                "Uh... a black cat crossed my path..."

                I interrupt him, "In your apartment? Whatever, we have to go." I jump up, grab his hand, and leap over the railing on the side of the hall, landing softly on the ground below.

                "Dangit," I mutter to myself.

                "What's wrong?" Kakashi asks, running behind me.

                "I forgot to eat breakfast." My stomach rumbles as I talk.

                "But I told you not to eat, so it's fine," he says, obviously smiling under his mask.

                "Why do I feel like I shouldn't be listening to you, then?"

                We end up grabbing some fruit from a stand and eating on our way. While running, I offered Kakashi an apple but he said he had already eaten, so he was either tricking us or thinks he's got a really strong stomach.

                "You're late!" Naruto and Sakura scream at us as we walk onto the training ground.

                "Yeah, sorry about that," I say, "We kinda ran into a black cat and had to go the long way."

                Kakashi chuckles a little and Naruto and Sakura just stare at me like I'm crazy before turning to complain to our sensei. Ugh, I'm being left out, again. Time to retreat.

                I find a nice tree to sit in while Kakashi explains the rules of his "game." I can tell immediately that he's trying to pit us against each other, meaning it's a teamwork exercise. How am I going to get these idiots to work on a team with me? Naruto is going to be trying to prove himself, Sakura is going to be stalking Sasuke, and Sasuke is going to think he's too cool to work with everyone else. Well, that idea's not going to work, but I think I've got a better trick up my sleeve. Kakashi, prepare to be impressed.