Chapter 19

We arrive the day of the first test of the chunin exams with only a few minutes before the start time. We walk up one flight of stairs and reach the third floor... Wait. What? I look around and see two boys who look barely older than us smirking arrogantly. Damn them.

I turn around and head back towards the staircase so I can continue on to the actual exam. "Ayaka, where are you going?" Naruto asks.

"To the exam room."

"But it's the other way," Sakura points out.

"It is the other way, my silly companions. But we have to be on the floor above us to get to it. These, uh, kind young men cast a genjustu on this floor to make it seem like the third floor when, in reality, it is the second. Weren't you counting the flights of stairs we walked up?" They look at me blankly and Sasuke lets out a laugh-like sigh before walking toward the staircase with me.

As we approach the entrance to the exam room, Kakashi appears. "Ah, so I see you all turned up."

"Of course we did!" Naruto shouts. "We're not afraid of this stupid test! We'll become chunin, believe it!"

"I do, Naruto," Kakashi smiles under his mask. "Good luck, team."

Inside the room, everyone is quiet. Everyone except the first year genins. They, unlike everyone else, rush towards us as we enter.

"So your team showed up too, Billboard Brow," Ino snorts arrogantly. Pig.

"Of course we did, Ino-pig!" Sakura retaliates heatedly.

The two girls start going at each other, hair flying as they rip at each other's scalps. Gross.

Everyone in the room watches our teams silently. Why do we have to be so oblivious? Oh yeah, we're all idiots.

"You all should quiet down." A white haired man approaches us, pushing up his glasses. "You're drawing quite a bit of attention to yourselves."

"Who are you?" Naruto asks curiously.

"The name's Kabuto." He smirks as Naruto stares at him with wide eyes. "I would listen to my advice if I were you, I've been through this before, Naruto Uzumaki." There's something off about this boy.

"How'd you know my name?"

Kabuto pulls out a deck of what appear to be blank cards. What's he gonna do?

He puts his hands on the cards and allows some chakra to flow into them. I tense up, waiting for them to explode. But they don't.

He picks up a card and flips it over. From my position behind him, I can see that the card has all sorts of info about my blonde teammate. The white haired boy reads off all of the information on the card, leaving my former schoolmates and myself shocked.

Sasuke speaks up. "What can you tell me about Rock Lee and Gaara of the Desert?"

My mind flashes back to the fight Sasuke had with Lee earlier. I don't remember much of it, but I do know that Sasuke would have been killed had Lee's crazy sensei not shown up.

Kabuto reads off of his card on Lee, but I stop paying attention. I look around the room, trying to remember the faces of everyone, but there are too many people. My eyes land on one ninja in particular.

His pale green eyes are glaring straight into my dark blue ones. He seems to be searching for something, but I can't tell what. I glare back, refusing to show weakness. His teammates look awkwardly between the two of us and, as he steps forward, they put their hands up as if to stop him. For some reason, they don't touch him. It's like they're scared of him.

"Gaara of the Desert. Not much is known about him. He's been on a ton of missions, though. And he's come back from all of them without a scratch. This kid has never been hurt."

Gaara steps closer to me. He's never been hurt? What the hell is this kid? Well, I'll introduce him to pain. Before the end of the exams, I'll make him bleed.