Chapter 34

I return to my original hiding place. Hopefully, my team will be here soon. I yawn. I'm beat. Crap. I haven't slept since Poser got me. Even though that wasn't too long ago, it feels like it's been ages. I begin to doze off, unable to stop the wave of tiredness from rushing over me. The world goes dark, and I submerge myself into my dreams.

The girl is there. She approaches me, smiling. She's better now, healthy. She's glowing with confidence and her headband appears to have been freshly polished. Mist. She's a mist ninja.

She wraps her arms around me, still smiling. I expect the embrace to be cold. I killed this woman, it's my kunai that was lodged in her forehead. But, it's warm. Sincere.

She pulls away. "Thank you," she says.

"Why? I killed you. I don't deserve your thanks."

"You tried to save me. It was that man who killed me. And then you put me in the field, so that I would be somewhat hidden."

"I wouldn't have had to do that had I not killed you..." I sniffle a bit and wipe my face, trying to keep the tears in. But one breaks my defenses.

"Come on, Ayaka. Don't cry." Her finger glides across my cheek, wiping away the tear.

"How do you know my name?"

"I'm dead, I learn things quite easily. Ayaka, you need to pass this test. You need to become a chunnin and complete your destiny."

"I'm doing my best. I'll prove to them that I'm not just a monster."

She shakes her head sadly. "You're still so young. Your fate is too horrible to imagine." Two people approach her from behind. I assume they're her teammates. "I must go now. But I'll be back someday, to help you on your journey." She turns to walk away.

"Wait!" She stops. "What's your name?"

"Yume. Goodbye, my flower."