Chapter 1

I hate being small. Everyone in my class bullies me because they think I'm weak. Even Naruto bullies me and everyone else bullies him. I would have thought that at least we could be friends. But no, he's just like the rest. They're all wrapped up in their own lives and Sasuke's. All of the girls care way too much about Sasuke Uchiha even though he wouldn't lift a finger to help anyone in this village; all he cares about is his stupid revenge plot. All the guys care about Sasuke too, although not in the same way. They look up to him, like he's some kind of hero. Even Naruto, who claims to hate Sasuke's guts, is always thinking about him. It makes no sense to me. Why care about others if they don't care about you?

I do poorly in all of my classes, simply because the other students might hate me more if I do better than them. Luckily for me, Iruka-sensei allows me to make-up what I've done wrong at the end of the day, so I have the highest grades in my class. But I don't have to worry about it anymore. I've already graduated from the academy and am about to be assigned to a team. I just hope it doesn't have Sakura or Ino on it; they're the biggest jerks in the school.

"Team Seven!" Iruka calls from the front of the class. "Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno," Please don't let me be on this team. "Sasuke Uchiha," Pretty, pretty please, God. I'll do anything. "And Ayaka Hara." I hate my life.

After all of the teams are assigned, we are instructed to wait in a room for our teacher. I sit in the back of the room, trying to avoid the others. Maybe they won't notice I'm here. Maybe I'll be able to make friends with them if I do make myself noticeable. But I'm not sure if I want to be their friend. They've bullied me my whole life. What is Naruto doing now? Putting a chalkboard eraser on the door? Weird.

The door opens and the eraser falls on the head of a man with strange white hair. Please don't tell me this is our sensei. "My first impression of you," the man says, "Is you're all idiots." Naruto and Sakura begin freaking out at the man while Sasuke stays silent but is obviously agitated. "Wait, I thought there were four of you."

Naruto and Sakura fall silent. "Oh, our other teammate didn't show up. What was her name? Aya... Aya someone." They don't even know I'm in the room. You would think at least a jonin would notice me. Everyone begins looking around the room for me.

"She was probably too scared to show up," Naruto says arrogantly, "She's always been a wimp."

That's it. Before they start bad-mouthing me more, I butt in. "I'm right here."

Everyone freezes. "Were you there the whole time, Aya?" Sensei-man asks.

"Umm, my name is Ayaka, not Aya. Yeah, I was there the whole time, but I'm used to not being noticed."

"Right," he says nervously. "Well, let's go up on the roof for introductions."

Up on the roof, our sensei reveals his identity: Kakashi Hatake. He says we're supposed to say our names, likes, dislikes, and goals. He gives the example but really only says his name.

Naruto goes on about how he loves ramen and then decides to point out how he's going to be the best hogake ever, Sakura fangirls over Sasuke and screams that she hates Naruto, and then Sasuke talks about his quest for power so he can kill someone. All of their stories are so... dull, although I'm not saying mine isn't; mine is quite cliché as a matter of fact.

"Hi, my name is Ayaka Hara. I don't really know what I like, I work too hard to do anything fun."

"You don't work hard. You failed all of the tests in the academy!" Sakura interrupts.

"My records say that she got better grades than all of you," Kakashi states.

Everyone stiffens and turns to me. "But we watched you fail all of your tests!" Naruto shouts.

"I had an arrangement with Iruka-sensei. He allowed me to retake them after everyone left. I dislike not being noticed and being alone, but both of those have become a part of my daily life so I deal with it. And my goal in life is to be the best ninja I can be and then, one day, find my parents and show them that they can be proud of me."

"What do you mean, find your parents?" Kakashi asks.

"Well, my fifth birthday present from them was enrollment in the academy and the life of an orphan. They left me."

Everyone falls silent. Naruto turns to the ground, Sasuke continues to glare into space like always, Sakura doesn't seem to understand what I just said, and Kakashi is staring at me, his eyes filled with pity. "Uh, right," our startled sensei continues, "Well, tomorrow we will have survival training. I understand that you have done a lot of survival training in the academy, but this is different. Oh, and before I forget, don't eat breakfast tomorrow morning."

"Why not, sensei?" The ever inquisitive Sakura asks.

"Because, if you do, you'll puke." I believe that he is the only person in the world who can say that with a smile.