Chapter 39

I wake up in a white room. I'm on a bed I don't recognize, and there's a machine hooked to my arm. My injuries are bandaged, but the one I got during my preliminary exam is bleeding through. Damn. She got me good.

I sit up and lean against the headrest. A nurse walks in and sees me. "Oh, dear," she says kindly. "I need you to lay back down."

"Why? I'm not doing any harm to myself by sitting, am I?"

"Well, you might be," she responds. "You lost a lot of blood. Let me check your blood levels at least, so I can see if you can leave." She runs a few tests, some being just a bit painful. As she's looking over the results, her eyes widen. "Wow, you've recovered very quickly. You're nearly back to normal."

"Yeah, I heal pretty quickly."

"Well, I guess I'll unhook you and you can check out at the desk. But that wound on your arm is still quite bad, so I'm going to have to leave it bandaged for now and you'll have to change the bandages regularly."

"Alright, alright," I moan impatiently. "Can I get out of here now? I need to catch up with my team! I have my final exam to train for!"

"Yes, you can go," The nurse sighs.

I leap out of bed and run out the door, there is no way I'm wasting anymore time in a hospital.

I run around the village, looking for my teammates, but they're nowhere to be found. Weird... I check in all our usual spots, the ramen shop, the training ground, and even the academy!  I'm about to give up, when I remember that Kakashi lives two doors down from me.

I hike up the stairs to the top floor of my building. Three doors down... ah, here it is. I knock on the door. Once. Twice. Three times. No answer. Dammit. Where the hell is that bastard? I punch the middle of the door in frustration. “Whatever,” I grumble as I walk away from my sensei’s door.

As I’m sulking around the village, I see my favorite and only pink-haired friend. “Sakura!” I shout.

She notices me and runs over. “Ayaka! You’re all better!” She wraps her arms around me in a tight hug. Her strong arms squeeze my wound and send painful jolts up my arm.

“Not completely,” I mutter, pulling away from her. I step back a bit. “So, Sakura,” I start. “Where are Kakashi and the others?”

“Oh! Kakashi took Sasuke off for some special training and Naruto found a different teacher for the final exam.” So they left me alone, pretty much. Damn. I have to train by myself? I guess I could train with Sakura... I look at her bright smiling face. Umm...

“Alright, Sakura!” Ino calls from her family’s flower shop. “I’m ready! We can go now!”

“Sorry, Ayaka,” Sakura apologizes. “Ino and I have dinner plans in ten minutes. I have to go.” She jogs over to her friend and they head off down the street. Well, there goes that idea. I guess I could just go to the training ground by myself.I sigh, this is going to be a lonely few months.