Chapter 27

The branch behind me snaps in to a million tiny pieces. Shit!

I fall on to the river of sand suspended in the air. As soon as my foot touches, I leap off again, only to be yanked back down by the sand now surrounding my foot. "Shit," I mumble.

Gaara turns and looks me straight in the eyes. "Why are you here?"

I frown. "Because at the beginning of this tournament I swore that I was going to get at least a drop of blood to leave your body."

He and his teammates stare back at me, shocked. "Who the hell does she think she is?" Kankuro shouts.

The sand around my foot tightens and I flinch. "Don't break my foot, jerk. I'll need more than a drop of your blood for that." I grin cockily as the sand loosens. I don't notice the sand under me giving way as well and end up falling into the dirt. "Ouch."

Gaara steps forward and holds out his hand. I grab it and pull myself up, aiming my other hand at his face. He blocks it and flips me, resulting in me lying on my back in the dirt. "Nice one."

This time, I get up on my own, but I feel sand moving around my wrists. I try to separate them, but the sand holds them in place. Dammit.

"Why aren't you killing her?" The blonde asks.

There's a silence. "Because I can't. But we can't have her trying to kill me too, so we're taking her with us."

Blondie glares at me. She lets out a huff and turns away.

"So, you've got my arms all tied up," I say, "But how are you going to stop me from running?" Gaara clenches his hand and the sand tightens. I grimace in pain, feeling the bone begin to give way. I loosens and a groan escapes my mouth. "Got it. No running."