Chapter 16

I've sat quietly for a while, waiting for a reason to leave, and I think I just found it. I can hear something going on downstairs. Tazuna's daughter is talking with some men, her voice full of fear. They're doing something to her. They're going to get me too if I don't leave.

I pull at the ropes on my arms, feeling them give a little more every second. When they finally break, I begin to untie my feet.

I leap out of the window, escaping any chance of being caught by the men downstairs. I bolt through the forest, looking for a spot to think of what to do next.

I sit quietly in a tree for what seems like hours, when suddenly, a shiver runs down my spine. Something's wrong. Is Zabuza at the bridge? Maybe...

At the bridge, Naruto has just given up his chance of surprising Zabuza and his partner. Typical.

"And what about your last member, that girl?" Zabuza asks.

"I'm right here," I say, leaping down from a tree. "Are you afraid?"

"No," he scoffs, "But you should be." He reaches behind his back and grabs his gargantuan swords. He brings it down right through the top of my head and I vanish in a cloud of smoke.

"Is that all you got, big boy?" I ask, tapping him lightly on the shoulder. He swings around and I vanish, once again. Two down, three to go.

"Hey, Kakashi," I say, appearing behind my sensei. "What's the plan?"

"Well," he frowns, "The plan was to have you stay tied up at Tasuna's, but since you're here, keep him distracted for a while."

"Got it." I leap straight at the tan man, pulling out a kunai. Of course, he's faster than I and slices through my body almost immediately.

"Why won't you die!" He screams in frustration. The fog around us grows thicker, but I can still tell where he is.

"Maybe because I'm not real." I drag my finger across his bare shoulder. "I'm just a figment of your imagination." I blow in his ear and can feel his body heat rise immensely. "But it also might be because I refuse to be killed by a creep like you." This angers him again and he swings, destroying yet another clone. One to go.

"I'm getting to you, aren't I. I'm in your head." I stand on the other side of the bridge, opposite of my target.

"No," he smirks. "You just think you are." How did he get behind me? His blade slashes through my neck with so much force that some of the fog vanishes, letting him see Sasuke.

The two stare at each other, electricity flickering between them. Sasuke smirks and runs forward. No.

I can see the cloth on Zabuza's face move up in a smirk of his own. He readies his sword. No.

He swings, making Sasuke dodge to the side where a clone is waiting to get him. No!

I leap from my hiding place, landing squarely on the clone's head. "So this is the real you," Zabuza sneers. "Because of what you just did, you're not going to be real from much longer." He swings his blade and I try to dodge, but I'm not fast enough. He hits me in the side and I go over the edge of the bridge, into the raging waters below.

Darkness surrounds me. I can't hear anything. I can't feel anything. I'm at peace, until I lose the ability to breathe at least.

I wake up, face down on the ground, gasping for air but only getting mouthfuls of sand. I'm too weak to push myself off the ground, so I just roll over instead.

When I roll, something hard hits my left side, sending a horrendous amount of pain throughout my body. I hold back a scream.

"Oh, you're awake," A deep voice says. I can barely make out his face with the sun right behind him, but I can see his eyes. They're very familiar for some reason. "What's your name?" The boy questions.

"A- Ayaka," I say, still coughing up sand.

"Nice to meet you, Ayaka. I'm Itachi."