Lan Xue's Gift

She couldn't believe it. She really couldn't believe it! Her plan had failed! Now what was she going to do? She threw a heavy object at the mirror, shattering it. Time reversed itself and mended the broken mirror.

"Your plan fail you, My Queen?" a man's voice spoke from the doorway.

Queen: "Do you think you can do better?" she hissed. She was pissed.

The man smiled. "I do believe I can, My Queen. Why not allow me to have a try?"

She turned to the man. He was her most trusted and loyal servant. He was dressed in all gold and even wore much jewelry. She huffed and turned back to the mirror. "Go!" She waved her sleeve at him. "Do not fail me! Bring him to me at all costs!"

The man bowed. "Certainly, My Queen. I will do as you commanded."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lan Zhan! The baby! What happened to the baby?!" Wei Ying was freaking out. Lan Zhan didn't know how to answer him. Xichen couldn't answer him. Huaisang refused to answer him. Wei Ying moved his gaze over all three people, landing on his husband again. "Lan Zhan...?" His voice cracked as a sob made its way to his throat. "Lan Zhan...the baby isn't dead, right? I can't feel them moving...Please...tell me the baby isn't dead...?" Tears began rolling down his face.

Huaisang needed to do something and fast! He couldn't have his dear friend and shi-xiong under such distress after the events which took place. He slapped a talisman onto his pregnant friend's shoulder, causing said friend to sleep. "I will fetch our best healer. Please wait here for me."

Xichen was lost in thought as he watched his brother comfort the sleeping Wei Ying. His mind went back to what his nephew had asked his brother. His mind went back five months to when Lan Xue had asked if it was true he was gaining a new sibling. Xichen knew children who were pure of heart could tell certain things and see things no one else could. However, Lan Xue was more than perceptive. He knew something was wrong with the unborn child before any of them knew. Lan Xue. What an extraordinary child he is! I must have a special study done on him. He may be the key to this entire ordeal being solved! Using his ability, when we figure it out, will immensely help us find the culprit!

Huaisang returned not too long after with the healer. Lan Zhan allowed the healer through, but he still clung onto Wei Ying. After a moment of silence, the healer stood. His stoic face showed nothing in terms of good or bad. "The child is fine," he declared at last. "The child is growing slowly, but it's a steady growth. He needs his medication if he has any. If not, I can give you a prescription along with all the necessary herbs for it. It should help speed up the growth just a tad." He turned to Lan Zhan. "You must be the father. You need to feed him with qi every day and make certain he eats plenty along with his medications. I'm certain Qiru most likely told you that himself. Now, when he awakens, don't cause him anymore distress. He may lose it the next time. You're very lucky, young man!"

Xichen turned to Huaisang. "Thank you. Without you, I don't think we could have saved them." Huaisang half-hid his face behind his fan. The three returned to Cloud Recesses using the teleportation talisman.

A few hours later, Wei Ying awakened to a very worried Lan Zhan. "Uhn...my head...Lan Zhan? What happened?"

Lan Zhan: "Huaisang used a sleep talisman." He helped Wei Ying sit up against the headboard.

Wei Ying's eyes went wide as he remembered something important. "Lan Zhan! The baby-"

Lan Zhan: "Baby is fine. Here. Drink," he said, giving Wei Ying a bowl of medicine. Wei Ying knew it wouldn't do him any good to protest, so he drank the entire thing in one go. It was incredibly bitter! He coughed from the bitterness clinging to his throat. Lan Zhan handed him a cup of water. Wei Ying thanked him and drank it.

Wei Ying: "So...our little one is unharmed?" Lan Zhan's ears turned pink with embarrassment at the words "...our little one..."

Lan Zhan: "Mn. Healer in QingheNie said so." Wei Ying was happy. He rubbed his belly. A small movement was felt and he cried from sheer joy.

The door opened and a little boy ran into the Jingshi. "Mama! Papa! Little brother!" Lan Zhan and Wei Ying stared at each other confused.

Wei Ying: "Mu-Mu, how do you know they are a little brother? They could be a little sister."

Lan Xue shook his head and with confidence said, "Nope! They're my little brother! I know it!" Wei Ying was still confused. "Little brother is going to be born very soon!" Wei Ying was baffled.

Lan Zhan intervened. "Yes. Little brother will be born in five more months." Lan Xue shook his head again.

Lan Xue: "Papa, little brother will be born very soon." Wei Ying was frightened.

"I'm sorry. He was so excited you were home. I couldn't catch him in time." Xichen entered the room. "Lan Xue, let's not bother them right now."

Lan Xue: "But, Uncle Shee-shen, I want to see little brother when he's born!" Xichen was also baffled by the child's words. "Come, Lan Mudan. We will go play a game with Uncle Qiren and the twins."

Lan Xue nodded. "Okay, Uncle Shee-shen," he obliged, taking Xichen's hand with his own. His fingers could only grasp around one of Xichen's fingers. It was an incredibly adorable sight.

After they left, Wei Ying asked, "Lan Zhan...What if what our son said was true?" Lan Zhan wanted to ignore those words, but he couldn't. He was just as worried and frightened as his husband.

He hugged Wei Ying close. Wei Ying ran his hand over his belly. First, there was a slight kick. Next, there was nothing but pure pain!