Poison

Wei Ying sat at the table, scarfing his food down. At one point he nearly choked and had to chug half a jug of water to wash it down. "Wei Ying. Slow down," Lan Zhan said with concern. He patted the other's back when they coughed after chugging down the water.

Wei Ying chuckled. "I'm alright, Lan Zhan. It's the onions making me cough." The food was half-gone already, and it has only been about ten to fifteen minutes. "These onions are really good! What you do to them?"

Lan Zhan wanted to laugh at his husband. "Fried them."

Wei Ying: "Oh! No wonder they taste good!" He finished scarfing his food down. "There!" he shouted, slamming his chopsticks down on the table, satisfied. "I really want more of this! Though, I don't know if I can eat anymore!" He has already eaten enough for two people, and he wanted more. Lan Zhan couldn't wrap his mind around his husband's strange behavior.

Lan Zhan: "Will go make more." As he stood up to leave, Wei Ying tugged at his sleeve.

Wei Ying: "You don't need to do that, Silly! I was just saying it's that good!" He smiled, and Lan Zhan sat back down. Lan Xue was with Qiren, since Wei Ying was to be on bed rest, and Lan Zhan and Xichen had duties to perform. Though, in reality, Lan Zhan wished for all the world to stay by Wei Ying's side the entire time.

Lan Zhan was deathly afraid of leaving Wei Ying alone again after the last incident where he almost had a miscarriage, but he knew he had no choice, so he proceeded with his duties.

Xichen noticed the worry in his brother's eyes. "Wangji, if you wish to stay by Wei Gongzi's side, then you may do so, but only for today." Lan Zhan stared at his brother in disbelief. "Don't worry. Uncle will not know if this. Remember it's only for today. If you miss out on your duties too much, then Uncle will reprimand you severely." Lan Zhan nodded, stood and bowed to Xichen who only smiled sincerely. "Now, go. I'm certain he's waiting for you. After all, he is pregnant again, isn't he?" The smile he bore was filled with mischief. Lan Zhan froze. He hadn't told anyone about it, not even his brother. He looked at Xichen questioningly. "I was passing by on my way to the gate to go to town for an important meeting. I saw you as you were exiting the Jingshi. You nearly lost your composure as well as had a bright smile on your face. It's all the proof I needed."

Lan Zhan glared at him. Xichen chuckled a bit nervously. "Don't worry. I will keep it a secret. Uncle won't know until you are ready to tell him yourself. My lips are sealed." With that, Lan Zhan bowed once more and left.

The minute he arrived at the Jingshi, something felt off about it. He hurried inside to find it empty. Wei Ying wasn't anywhere inside or outside. He wasn't with the rabbits or in the garden. Lan Zhan panicked. He started searching for his husband. He finally found him in the back hills, playing in the water.

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying!" he hollered. He would repent later for breaking the rules. He didn't care at the moment. He ran down the stone steps leading to the Cold Pool.

Wei Ying turned around to see his husband frantically running towards him. "Lan Zhan? What's wrong? I thought you had duties today!"

Lan Zhan hugged him. "Wei Ying. Why is Wei Ying here?" he asked, desperation in his voice.

Wei Ying pouted. "What? Now I suddenly can't come bathe here? I was feeling hot and stuffy in that room!" he protested. "The least you could do is give me the courtesy to cool down a bit."

Lan Zhan felt bad. He lowered his head in shame. "Sorry," he spoke quietly. Wei Ying sighed. Now he felt bad about what he just did, so he patted his husband on the shoulder.

Wei Ying: "Don't worry about it, Lan Zhan. I'm not upset. You only frightened me a little when you came running at me." It really didn't make Lan Zhan feel any better.

Lan Zhan: "Was worried about Wei Ying," he said honestly. Wei Ying smiled sweetly at that and ruffled the other's hair as if they were a child.

Wei Ying: "Silly, you don't need to worry over me constantly. I'm fine. Nothing bad will happen to me ever again," he tried reassuring Lan Zhan. The male embraced him, holding him close. Wei Ying sighed, returning the embrace. "Let's go home, Lan Zhan. I'm tired now." Lan Zhan nodded, but didn't release the hold for a while longer. "Lan Zhan? Are you feeling alright?"

Lan Zhan released him. "Mn. Let's go." Wei Ying dressed and followed behind. He noticed Lan Zhan stagger a bit. He grew concerned.

Wei Ying: "Lan Zhan, are you certain you're feeling well? You're staggering a bit."

Lan Zhan nodded. He didn't want to worry Wei Ying any. "Don't worry. Am fine," he lied. However, his husband wasn't convinced. They neared the Jingshi. Wei Ying kept an eye on his husband the entire time.

As soon as Lan Zhan's feet hit the porch, he leaned against the post, trying to support himself. "Lan Zhan? Lan Zhan, answer me! What's wrong?" Lan Zhan shook his head. "I will go fetch the healer! You stay here and try not to move!" Wei Ying was in a panic.

On his way to find the healer, he ran into Xichen. "Wei Gongzi? What's with the hurry?"

Wei Ying was crying - near to tears. "It's Lan Zhan! He is sick, but he won't tell me what's wrong, so I'm on my way to find the healer."

It was Xichen's turn to be worried. Lan Zhan had never been sick but one time, and that was when they were children. "You go back to him. I will fetch the healer. Make certain he stays in bed until I arrive." Wei Ying nodded and ran off to do as he was told.

The boy found his husband still on the porch, only this time the male had fainted. "Lan Zhan! Lan Zhan, wake up!" There was no way he was going to be able to lift the male by himself. He didn't have the same super-human strength as Hanguang-Jun.

Luckily, Xichen arrived with the healer a few minutes later. The sect leader had told the healer what was happening. "Help me move him onto the bed," Qiru demanded. Xichen did just that.

Xichen: "Goodness, Wangji! How can you be so slim and yet so heavy?" Qiru took out a silver needle. Xichen and Wei Ying looked at him worried. "You suspect he's been poisoned?" Xichen asked for the both of them.

Qiru: "It's a precaution I'm taking. It could be something else entirely. Better to be safe than sorry." He opened Lan Zhan's robes so the abdomen was somewhat showing. Xichen turned away, blushing. He'd never seen his brother naked before, even if he wasn't fully undressed. Qiru held the needle up, which was now black, and declared, "Yep, he's been poisoned, though I don't know what kind." At that, Wei Ying, who has been standing there waiting anxiously, fainted. Xichen caught the boy before he could hit the ground. The healer checked Wei Ying's pulse. "Don't worry. It was only shock. He'll wake up in an hour or so. As for Hanguang-Jun - I don't know what to do except try different antidotes. I've never seen a poison like this one. It's a slow acting one, so he could've been poisoned at any point - even while sleeping. Even he would never have known."

Xichen: "Actually, he could have very well known. His senses are very keen. The only thing is, is he wouldn't have told anyone. He doesn't care for worrying others or having them involved in his problems. So he would've hid it from all of us, even to the point it kills him." Qiru nodded his understanding.

Qiru: "I will return momentarily. I must go consult my texts to find this particular poison and see if there is a cure."

Xichen: "And if there isn't a cure?"

Qiru looked at the leader very seriously. "If there isn't one, I will find one. If I can't find one, I will keep searching until one is found. As for the time he has left - I'm afraid there isn't much. He has maybe a week left at most. Please excuse me. I will be busy the next few days. Do not bother me unless you intend to help me." With that being said, Qiru left to his residence.

Xichen sighed. He decided to stay with his brother, even if it meant shirking his duties. That would make his uncle mad. He didn't care at the moment. All he wanted was to care for his brother. However, he knew Qiren needed to know about it, so he made up his mind to go tell his uncle and return afterwards. "Get better, Wangji. I don't wish to lose my little brother now."