Rabbits

Two...
It's the number of a pair...
It's the number of a couple...
And that's exactly what Lan Zhan wanted to be - a couple.

He only did not know how to tell Wei Ying how he felt, nor did he wish to burden the boy with such a trifling, fleeting fancy. At least, that is what he thought of it as. But that was before Wei Ying died. That was before this dream happened. Now, he has a second chance. Now, he can fix his mistakes. What he doesn't know, however, is how this Wei Ying would feel about it. This Wei Ying does not know what will happen in the future between them. This Wei Ying does not know this is all a dream. This Wei Ying does not know many things - not even about how Lan Zhan loves him. Wei Ying doesn't know anything.

Lan Zhan began to feel guilty about the Cold Pool incident. He should have known better, but - this is Wei Ying! Wei Wuxian! Why should he feel guilty for wanting to help him warm up? Lan Zhan sat at the desk in the library by the window. A cool breeze blew and ruffled the curtains. Suddenly, a figure popped up and landed on the balcony. He sat down, placing one of his legs on the railing.

"Lan Zhan!" he said excitedly. "Are you busy at all?"

Lan Zhan only continued to read the manuscript before him. He eyed the boy occasionally. He saw how the breeze gently played with the boys long, curly locks. Somewhere inside him, he became jealous of the wind. HE wanted to play with those locks. HE wanted to run his fingers through that beautiful, dark, thick hair. HE wanted to touch him. The boy stared at him for a while. When Lan Zhan did not respond, Wei Ying pouted, hopped off the balcony rail and shot in front of him in almost one fell swoop. A smile played on the boys face.

"Lan Zhan! I have a present for you!" He pulled out two rabbits - one white and the other black. He handed them to him, setting them on the table. "Do you like them? If you do, then they're all yours!"

Lan Zhan looked away from the manuscript he was reading and stared at the two rabbits. They hopped around on the desk making a mess. The white one had hopped into the ink making its feet turn black. Everywhere it hopped, it left black footprints. He sighed. He picked up the black rabbit. It kicked and made a fuss wanting to be let down, so it could run around and play. The red eyes reminded him of the red eyes Wei Ying had as he used his dark cultivation. He gently set it down on the floor. The rabbit hopped away quickly to its friend. The two began to wrestle. "Will keep them," was all he said.

Wei Ying was busy watching the rabbits play. It came as a shock to him when he heard the reply. Wei Ying was confused. It was said, Lan Zhan was the strictest about the rules, and how he followed them to the letter. It was also said, he didn't like to be touched by anyone. Even Lan Xichen did not touch him, and Xichen was his brother! Yet, that night at the Cold Pond, Lan Zhan willingly hugged him to warm him up. Wei Ying felt his cheeks grow a bit warm from the memory. He shook his head a bit. This action did not get past Lan Zhan's ever watchful gaze.

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying."

Wei Ying: "Huh?"

Lan Zhan stared at the boy with a questioning look. It took a moment for Wei Ying to finally catch what Lan Zhan was asking. "Oh! I'm fine! Just a weird memory." His cheeks grew hotter as he turned away. "Anyway, you enjoy the rabbits!" He hopped off the balcony to the ground below. Lan Zhan went back to reading his manuscript. A slight smile crept over his lips - the corners moving just ever so slightly upward. HE was satisfied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wei Ying was embarrassed. He had gone to the library in hopes of agitating Lan Zhan, but it had backfired. Now HE was the one who was agitated - more at himself than the Lan boy. He really did not see that coming. Who knew Lan Zhan could be devious and tricky. Wei Ying's cheeks continued to burn. He was sitting underneath a peach tree. The blossoms were out and pink petals fell as the breeze blew them off the branches. Who knew Hanguan-Jun was so fierce! He curled up, hiding his face in his knees. He was so embarrassed! He heard someone walking his way. He quickly hid the feeling and looked up to see it was Lan Xichen.