Chapter Thirty Three

Can had gone to the hospital cafe to get some dinner for them. Sanem and Beni where having there time together, as usual she had him laughing and playing, like nothing was wrong. As he walked down the hall with their food, the doctor met him, " Mr. Divit, Beni is so much better now, I don't think we will be able to keep him past tomorrow. I know the situation your in, but he may have to return to the orphanage if you haven't gotten his paperwork by then." The doctor stated. Can winched at the thought of having to tell Sanem, he knew it wasn't what she would want to hear. " Ok, thank you for all that you have done for him, I will take care of it." Can said. He put on a smile and went into the room, " Dinner is served my lady," He announced, as he bowed down to her, spreading the food out on the table. She laughed at Can, with in turn that made Beni laugh. Can had come to love that sound of his laughter, and would do anything to hear it. Sanem was starving, so she dived right in to the food, talking incessantly about all the plans for the children, once she got them home. Can had to wait a couple of hours before he could call the lawyer, because of the time difference, making it almost almost bed time for them. But he couldn't wait any longer, he would have to do everything in his power to make this happen.

Beni was fighting sleep again, doing anything he could not to close his eyes. Can overheard one of the nurses tell Maria, " I think he doesn't want to go to sleep, because he's afraid they won't be there when he wakes up, he's a changed baby since they arrived." Can smiled to hear the comment, but wanted to cry at the same time, with a small twinge of doubt lurking in the back of his mind, " What will happen if they don't give him to us, how are we both going to move on." He discarded the thought almost instantly, he had to be positive, " Don't let negativity get to you." He thought, looking at the clock. Sanem was going through their nighttime ritual of  stroking his face and humming to him, he fought as hard as he could to stay awake. But after a few minutes his eyes slowly closed, and his breathing became deep and slow. She attached her hand to his fingers, not wanting to let go, loving the feel of his skin. It was so soft and inviting, and even with the smell of medicine and disinfectant heavy in the air, the scent of this child made its way to her  heart. She would never forget this smell, his smell, the smell that had stayed with her since they had returned home. She noticed that Can had stepped out of the room, she was alone with him, and she felt like they were the only ones he could depend on, and she was going to make sure she didn't let him down. After a minute she started to the door, when she heard the sound of Can's voice on the phone, " Mr. Yilmaz, we don't have a lot of time here,....yes, we are here now with him. I will pay whatever it takes to speed up the process, we have to have those papers ASAP." Can said, his voice sounding urgent. He ended the call by saying he would call back in an hour, then he turned to see Sanem standing there, staring intently at him. " What did they say, is it just a bunch of red tape, or what? She said, squinting her eyes at him. He took a  deep breath,   " Yes, the timeline is screwed up, and they have to summit this papers to the court and then send them to us." He said rolling his eyes. Sanem smiled, "But we get them,...right, they are going to let us have them, that's  what your saying." She spouted, her eyes lighting up. Can smiled slightly, " Yes, I guess that is what I'm saying," he said, taking the time to let it sink in. He had been so worried about getting the paperwork, he had completely overlooked the fact they were actually going to get the boys. She threw her arms around his neck, " I can't believe it Can, we will get to take them home with us." She squealed in his ear. 

Maria had been listening and watching the couple, and the relief of knowing they would be able to take the boys made her happy. She had hoped they would since the first day she showed up at the  orphanage. The scene was a happy one and it touched her heart, but the fact they would still have to leave the hospital the next day and return to the orphanage with Beni hadn't been addressed yet. Sanem hugged her neck when she approached the couple, and there was no need for translation for the two women. Maria could see the pure delight in Sanem's eyes. Can had to tell her that they would have take Beni back to the orphanage the next day if they didn't get the papers that would allow them to take the boys out of the country.  Sanem went back in Beni's room, she just wanted to watch her son sleep, she said, the words touching Can heart. He took Maria aside, " What will we do if you have to take him back, she will be devastated." He said. It was time to call the lawyer back so Can, moved down the hall, away from the door. " Mr. Yilmaz, I hope you have good news for me." Can said, holding his breath. " Yes Mr. Divit, I was able to get an emergency decree of guardianship, so that will allow you to leave the country of Peru and enter the country of Turkey with the boys. And the permanent paper work will follow in a week or so, along with the official adoption papers." He said. Can's head was swirling, with him trying so hard to listen to what he was saying. A fax number, they needed a fax number, the lawyer said, as Can looked around for some help.  With the number delivered to the lawyer, all he had to do now, was wait for the paperwork to come in. He leaned back against the wall, he was trying desperately to control himself. They were his, he had two sons,.....his head trying hard to grasp it. He stood guard over the fax machine at the nurses station, waiting......with the nurses watching him, giggling at how nervous he was. Within minutes he heard the machine click on and the he watched as the paper feed through the machine,...there it was,...the paper that would make the rest of his life full and happy, he thought, as he gathered up the sheets of paper from the machine. He quickly scanned over the documents, " Yes, this was it." He said, as he turned and hurried down the hall to Beni's room.

Sanem had closed her eyes for a minute, her body feeling tired and weak from the ordeal. But she was happy, happy that she would be able to take the boys home with them, happy that their home would be full of their sounds of laughter. She felt his presence, and opened her eyes,......

He smiled, " Are you ready to go home?" He asked.....holding the papers up in front of here

She focused on the paper, her eyes reading it quickly, " Are they ours Can? She asked, her voice in a whisper.....she collapsed into his arms, holding onto to him, as the tears of joy streamed down her face.